Burning Oil

Just had the ‘add oil’ light flash up on my dash, checked the level and it’s about on the ‘minimum’ mark on the dipstick. 

current mileage is 4780!! 

can’t say I have added any oil to my past 3 cars in 6 years. 

any one else topping up around then with the 1.5 TSI?

As the owners manual says,  May use more oil in the first 5,000 km.  so now the car has done over 7,600 km. 

So checking oil with VW Group Engines is something needed, especially when collected new or after services as below the correct level is not unusual. 

& the cold checks are good to see if there is oil, but the checks should be done with the oil at operating temp.

So that needs done now with the VW 508 00 oil you have used put in. That is 0w 20 FS IV,  and not VW 504 00,  5w 30 FS III

PS

Forget about the past and TSI's and TDI's that were before the WLTP / RDE and VW Group going to 0w 20 FS IV,

Plenty 'Burning Oil' threads in the sections over the past 3 years for Kodiaq, Karoq, Octavia and Superb were owners never checked the oil in a 1.5 TSI.

There is not a problem, just the need to maybe top up oil early on depending on how the vehicle is used, do not wait for warning lights or messages.

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png.7451973af9584629f32d9f306444fb34.png

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.11c78e7b214413b291aad69b09bc2252 (1).png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, zetzet said:

All modern cars burn oil, it's how they're designed. Piston rings are low pressure to reduce friction and the oil is very thin so the engine uses less fuel. You trade trace amounts of oil for lots of fuel. 

I would not agree on that. My 1.5TSI has nearly 70000km in it. Never had to add oil between the two oil changes at 30000 and 60000 services.

• Like 1

@zetzet All modern cars can burn oil, and some will.  But not all do.

The engine parts, the production line is the same, the engine management might be the same and the same VW 508 00 / 509 00 so 0w 20 FS IV oil is used

but not all use excessive oil.   But then the same driver does not drive them all, and they are not all on the same road or weather.

Knowing what yours uses is all that matters as all do not use lots.

52 minutes ago, timster said:

I would not agree on that. My 1.5TSI has nearly 70000km in it. Never had to add oil between the two oil changes at 30000 and 60000 services.

So your car probably burns on the lower end of the spectrum. If you change your oil at 30k intervals it probably becomes a sludge and glues everything shut. 

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, zetzet said:

So your car probably burns on the lower end of the spectrum. If you change your oil at 30k intervals it probably becomes a sludge and glues everything shut. 

Previous car i did oil changes 15k, 30... and then i changed it to facelift before 60k. This one is going away perhaps at 75k. I dont have many reasons to change them more than its designed to. Oils these days are like water, so i'm not suprised if the coming rs iv needs some top up.

Edited by timster

😁 One thing I have noticed about oil, we're all experts - as in whatever WE do is the right and only way to do it - including me, obviously. 

I've seen a thread or two where new cars used oil in the first few 000 miles, I checked mine several times but didn't see any drop - but it was on 6k or similar when I got it, so might have already been topped up. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@timsterThe Octavia vRS iV will require to be on Fixed Oil & Filter changes will it not and not on Variable / Flexible?

Might be so. I remember asking for maintenance and i recall dealer saying every 15k,

On 13/08/2021 at 10:05, vedubber said:

Just had the ‘add oil’ light flash up on my dash, checked the level and it’s about on the ‘minimum’ mark on the dipstick. 

current mileage is 4780!! 

can’t say I have added any oil to my past 3 cars in 6 years. 

any one else topping up around then with the 1.5 TSI?

Yep, my 1.5 TSI is somewhere around 25 thousand km, hasn't seen an oil change yet (service interval is 30 th km) but I've added oil a couple of times.
Don't remeber when the first time was but definitely before 10 thousand.

15 minutes ago, johh said:

Yep, my 1.5 TSI is somewhere around 25 thousand km, hasn't seen an oil change yet (service interval is 30 th km) but I've added oil a couple of times.
Don't remeber when the first time was but definitely before 10 thousand.

That's so insane. 30K for a turbo petrol is crazy. 12 months 15k already seems extremely long. Glad I ordered a new car, if that's how the recent 5 year old ones have been serviced, I don't want to touch them. 😅

Edited by zetzet

Variable / flexible service intervals have been available with VW group petrol turbos and others including far higher performance engines than 280 ps ones that Skoda get.   Millions of them trucking around doing just fine.   Well the ones that were not lemons right from the Drawing board.  

8 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Variable / flexible service intervals have been available with VW group petrol turbos and others including far higher performance engines than 280 ps ones that Skoda get.   Millions of them trucking around doing just fine.   Well the ones that were not lemons right from the Drawing board.  

Don't know about millions of them, I'm from a country that does a lot with used cars and VW 1.4/1.5 TSI engines are pretty much regarded as 250K and done, no one touches them beyond that. 2.0 TSI ones can be rebuilt, because they're worth more, but it is still very expensive. 

@zetzet

People are left guessing what country you are in, or what you might drive.

There are lots of Euro 5 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 & 2.0 TSI never got to any miles before they expired prematurely.

But then that was Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Components / Materials and VW Group bl00dymindedness. 

Also VW504 00 so 5w 30 FS III as they recommended, Long Life Servicing not the issue.  Just lemons and Timing Chains, Tensioners, Scrapers, Rings etc. 

So now for the WLTP / RDE2 we have them with VW508 00 / 509 00, so 0w 20 FS IV.  

Time will tell how that goes, and in a year or 3 more how the VW Group GPF's are behaving.

There are Dealerships /Independents, mechanics, techs, fitters etc that are using 0w 30 FS rather.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Even if it was design faults it doesn't make sense logically to stretch service intervals that far, it only appeals to people leasing, they don't have to spend money replacing fluids and VW doesn't care, because warranty period is short enough most of the engines could probably get through the finish line without a single oil change. It's neglect that has a stamp of approval from the manufacturer. 

Very similar story is happening in other cars, for example BMW says their ZF gearboxes don't need oil changes at all, while ZF says they do. But only after BMW warranty period has already expired, so BMW doesn't care. 

Edited by zetzet
  • Like 1

That is what you get with the German Car Manufacturers. Great Reputations, not actually deserved. If everything in the World was as reliable as a Golf then we would be where we are now.

Articles with the data / statistics from the Warranty Providers show that German Engines and some of those might French in German cars have the greatest failures out of the Manufacturers Warranty.

Along with JLR that is.

https://www.allcarleasing.co.uk/blog/are-german-cars-better

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

Edited by e-Roottoot

26 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

That is what you get with the German Car Manufacturers. Great Reputations, not actually deserved. If everything in the World was as reliable as a Golf then we would be where we are now.

Articles with the data / statistics from the Warranty Providers show that German Engines and some of those might French in German cars have the greatest failures out of the Manufacturers Warranty.

Along with JLR that is.

https://www.allcarleasing.co.uk/blog/are-german-cars-better

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

Indeed, because if you check Toyota for example, their service intervals are normal, on top of the fact that they don't make high stress turbo charged engines. Somehow believing that VW invented new engine materials that allows them to use the same oil for 5-6 times longer than what was normal 10-15 years ago is ridiculous.

Edited by zetzet
  • Like 1

@zetzet

Personally I do not need to check as i have been driving and buying and selling cars for decades and working in garages, so know the history of vehicles and what to avoid and how to service and maintain.

Owned ones that are from manufacturers that are Japanese, South Korean, French, Czech, German, British, and built in Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, South Africa and probably other countries.

Sorry but that is guff about Toyota and high stressed turbo engines. 

I have owned a few and they were well built, and they are doing cracking 1.3 & 1.6 ones at present in a very desirable model.

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@zetzet

Personally I do not need to check as i have been driving and buying and selling cars for decades and working in garages, so know the history of vehicles and what to avoid and how to service and maintain.

Owned ones that are from manufacturers that are Japanese, South Korean, French, Czech, German, British, and built in Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, South Africa and probably other countries.

Sorry but that is guff about Toyota and high stressed turbo engines. 

I have owned a few and they were well built, and they are doing cracking 1.3 & 1.6 ones at present in a very desirable model.

GR Yaris is not really representative of an average Toyota... 

Indeed it is not, but Toyota have done small capacity 3 cylinder engines for long enough and Suzuki have a Suzuki used Toyota engines.

VW Group even bought some of Suzuki to get their experience and knowledge and that from them working with Mitsubishi & Fiat.

Small capacity Turbo, Supercharged and mild hybrid knowledge.

Suzuki bought themselves out finally on the eve of the Defeat Device Scandal breaking with the assistance of Toyota who happened to in the next weeks become biggest car manufacturer in the world again.

The Japanese do not recommend the oils that VW Group do.    2009-2010 & when Euro 5 emissions came in Toyota had to change their recommended oil from 5w 30 to 0w 30 because the fuel consumption figures were so far out.  

Much like VW group going 0w 20 pre WLTP but then they still had to manipulate the Engine Management for the tests and ruin drivability.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.    If at first you can not succeed try try and try again, and then if you must cheat.

6 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The Japanese do not recommend the oils that VW Group do.    2009-2010 & when Euro 5 emissions came in Toyota had to change their recommended oil from 5w 30 to 0w 30 because the fuel consumption figures were so far out.  

New Toyota hybrids use 0w16 oil.  But they're not turbocharged. 

Edited by zetzet
  • Like 1