Wait Before and after starting the engine

Hello friends,

When I starting the engine I wait until the rpm is decrease and I'm also wait before I shut off the engine. (This is what told to me in order to keep the engine and the Turbo)

But, see the official Skoda manual

So... Wait or not ? Thank you

Screenshot_2021-08-23-17-28-44-306_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg

^^^ That tells you about not warming the engine when stationary. 

Just do not thrash it until the oil heats up a bit.  The colder around freezing or lower the longer that will be,

So no wait when starting or when stopping.

The Engine /Turbo take care of themselves.

• Like 1

If you're not trashing the car on the track there is really no reason to wait before turning it off, it will be around the same temperature if you wait or not. And on startup warming up the engine is really outdated advice, these days the engine oil is incredibly thin and it gets everywhere with ease, just drive like a normal person and there is no reason to idle. Of course there are times where you can't drive the car before it warms up because of ice or fogged up windows, idling isn't going to do any damage either, just uses fuel unnecessarily. 

Edited by zetzet

Dont worry about all that , this engine can be tuned to Golf R BHP. So VW group have this engine low tuned and normal town , motorway or occasional thrashing wont worry this engine.Its a very proven platform this engine and unlikely to F up if serviced well.

Now that brings me to , service at 10k miles or wait till the variable kicks in at around 19k if yoove been extra cautious?  Taking into account i or other users on lease will hand these back in three years and under warranty.

My guess ,, wait for the variable to kick in 

18 hours ago, Yoyosmn said:

When I starting the engine I wait until the rpm is decrease and I'm also wait before I shut off the engine.

1. Too long. Unless you're using demist or de-ice functionality, just wait long enough to fasten your seat belt before driving off.
  2. Similarly, half a mile or so with the engine at town driving speed is all you need to cool a turbo from a highway speed trip.

FWIW I usually start mine, wait until the infotainment system has booted up so that I can select auto stop/start off and driving mode and then drive off, that seems more than enough (and Skoda because occasionally the car will post an 'eco tip' message on the dash not to idle the car!)

As @byteme says above - it's a car, just drive it :) 

Edited by CS363
Spelling

Depends on how cold day it is. If it's 0°C and warmer, doesn't matter that much. However, if colder (especially -10°C or colder) then I'd wait a bit before driving.

I haven't gotten my Octavia yet, but in my previous turbocharged cars there is difference with oil consumption between waiting a bit or not before driving. My current car is 1.6 ecoboost focus, and without warming the oil level drops a bit between services. Without warming there's no difference in oil level.