Superb MKII 2014 2.0L Diesel DSG 4x4, Dual Mass Flywheel?

blood

Do any of you good people know if this DSG has a DMF fitted, a quick examination of a rattly click/clatter at the lower passenger side end of the engine.gearbox by my local Mechanic makes him think it's a DMF flywheel issue, If that is indeed the problem is a replacement DMF an Expensive fix or not too financially life threatening.

Or have you chaps any experience of a similar rattly click/clatter and if so what created it, it only does so when the Engines fully hot, and the sound goes at above 1200RPM or so.

Im both concerned and perplexed and it'll be at least a week before they get it in for a proper diagnosis.

Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks Blood.

3 minutes ago, SkeidaFin said:

Yes it has a DMF. This forum and youtube e.g. has lots info on DMF failure diagnosis. Is the gearbox functioning correctly? Is It vibrating noticeably?

Hi.

The gearbox seems as smooth in it's changes as it ever was, no Vibration whatsover, It's been a well serviced car so has had all it's ATF oil and filter changes, once it's passed idling rev speed and driving the rattle and clatters dissappears.

There was often a wee bit of a Clunk as it moved off from standstill in 1st gear but I had thought it might be a tired engine or Gearbox mounting but the mechanic said it could be the play on the DMF....In an odd way I'm hoping it is the DMF rather than something more mechanically sinister.

5 minutes ago, blood said:

Hi.

The gearbox seems as smooth in it's changes as it ever was, no Vibration whatsover, It's been a well serviced car so has had all it's ATF oil and filter changes, once it's passed idling rev speed and driving the rattle and clatters dissappears.

There was often a wee bit of a Clunk as it moved off from standstill in 1st gear but I had thought it might be a tired engine or Gearbox mounting but the mechanic said it could be the play on the DMF....In an odd way I'm hoping it is the DMF rather than something more mechanically sinister.

My understanding is that clunking at idle/neutral could be a sign of DMF going. Could be something else as well, maybe someone wiser than me knows better. But for me an oil change and DSG reset did wonders, gearbox felt like new (it had 280k km's at the time). It fixed an intermittent vibration on acceleration and made shifts much smoother. When's your next DSG oil change due? Do you know if it has been reset before? Usually it's done when the DSG oil is changed.

13 minutes ago, SkeidaFin said:

My understanding is that clunking at idle/neutral could be a sign of DMF going. Could be something else as well, maybe someone wiser than me knows better. But for me an oil change and DSG reset did wonders, gearbox felt like new (it had 280k km's at the time). It fixed an intermittent vibration on acceleration and made shifts much smoother. When's your next DSG oil change due? Do you know if it has been reset before? Usually it's done when the DSG oil is changed.

It's next Service as well as next Haldex and DSG oil Changes will be due in 10'000 miles at  118'000 miles, however due to Covid lockdowns the time between services was much longer as the car was hardly used for 9 Months so it's probably a year behind it's forecasted service date.

To my Knowledge it has never had a DSG reset done.

Clunking when taking up drive is often a sign of a worn DMF. Another telltale is clunking if you release and re-apply the accelerator, especially uphill. Mine is doing this, and I've started saving for the replacement.

39 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Clunking when taking up drive is often a sign of a worn DMF. Another telltale is clunking if you release and re-apply the accelerator, especially uphill. Mine is doing this, and I've started saving for the replacement.

Yes, that sounds like the kind of clunks ive been experiencing, they were creeping up on me, but mine have since gone a step further to DMF rattle, I've stopped using it for fear of it doing more damage or until the problems been identified and cured, i'd hate some sort of catastrophic failure and something flew to bits.

You only have to remove the starter motor to be able to do a definitive DMF test by hand.

A Skoda main dealer will tell you that you have to pay to have the gearbox removed for them to diagnosis a DMF fault despite it being completely apparent to their experienced ears.

• Like 1