Noise at start up

Hello fellow Skoda owners!

I faced an question last morning when I started up my Rapid. On start up there is a short metallic noise. I have read that it is normal for a short period of time. Is it really? Especially when it is a very loud rattle?

There is a short video of the noise. Thanks in advance!

A brief rattle is normal on the EA111 as oil pressure builds on the chain tensioner. I have this engine in a 1.4 tsi Superb and it has always done this if left for a while. I've owned from a 14months old /14k miles  - it's now 7 years old/ 96k miles and sounds just the same as when I bought it.  

• Like 1

On 27/08/2021 at 19:16, Koreenium said:

That sounds like timing chain rattle. How many miles/kilometers has your car driven? And has it ever had timing chain replaced? Also what engine does it have?

Hi! It has 138000km on it now. I heard the same but I guess it is normal for a short period of time.

Sounds like mine 1.2tsi. Mine has been doing it since new and nothing untoward has happened over the last 8 years. The engine does have hydraulic tappets which requires oil pressure to quiet them and the chain which bigjohn details

My 1.2 TSI with timing chain never makes this sort of noise. Slight rattle on cold start can sometimes happen when left to sit for long time, when parked on an incline or has a wrong oil filter but nothing like this. If you get this rattle constantly when starting the engine then it's clearly timing chain that is making it and you need to get it replaced. At 138 000km you are already overdue for timing chain replacement on a 1.2 TSI. Can't comment about other engines. My 1.2 TSI with over 250 000km is already on its third timing chain. First one was replaced after ~100 000km and second one was done after 230 000km because of severe timing chain rattle even while driving around. And my engine is late 2014 made which has all the early timing chain problems "fixed".

8 minutes ago, Koreenium said:

My 1.2 TSI with timing chain never makes this sort of noise. Slight rattle on cold start can sometimes happen when left to sit for long time, when parked on an incline or has a wrong oil filter but nothing like this. If you get this rattle constantly when starting the engine then it's clearly timing chain that is making it and you need to get it replaced. At 138 000km you are already overdue for timing chain replacement on a 1.2 TSI. Can't comment about other engines. My 1.2 TSI with over 250 000km is already on its third timing chain. First one was replaced after ~100 000km and second one was done after 230 000km because of severe timing chain rattle even while driving around. And my engine is late 2014 made which has all the early timing chain problems "fixed".

I am told that the timing chain should last as long as the engine. Timing belt has on the other hand a change period. Are you sure you are talking about the chain?

Just now, f1tz said:

I am told that the timing chain should last as long as the engine. Timing belt has on the other hand a change period. Are you sure you are talking about the chain?

Timing chain would last as long as the engine ( generally 250 000km ) if it was well designed. Something that clearly can not be said about 1.2 TSI CBZA and CBZB engines. Otherwise mine would not be on a third chain by now.

Also technically speaking engine lasts as long as timing chain because when the chain breaks or skips a tooth, your engine is toast.