Real World Range

Jaytip

Hi guys, new to this section but not new to Briskoda or indeed Skoda’s in general having owned an Octavia and three Superbs in the past.

I should be taking delivery of my Enyaq 60 in about a week and a half to two weeks time and I’m really looking forward to getting it. 
It will be my first foray into electric car ownership.

I’ve had a quick look and I hope I haven’t missed it but I didn’t see a thread with real world range.
Anyone care to share what sort of range they are getting and what sort of driving they are doing to get that range?

I’ll be putting mine on as a taxi so as such the vast majority of the driving will be stop start short journeys, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to eek out decent mileage to a charge.

Cheers,

Ivor.

• Like 1

@JaytipIt will be good to hear peoples experiences of their Enyaq 60.

My guess is you will be safe for getting 180 miles from starting with a full charge  and still some range left before charging again.

But a bit of a charge when below 40% will help matters if you are on a 100kW charger.

58 kWh Usable.  If charged to 100%.

You will not run til empty so say with 55 kWh used.

If you get 4 miles per kWh then 220 miles.

3.5 miles per kWh 192.5 miles.

3.2 miles per kWh 176 miles.

There will be so many variables for you though.

The weather / temperature, how many passengers and is there luggage, the interior temp you will have the cars interior at, 

daytime use or night time.

Just being nosy but also really interested,

How many miles or hours do you normally do per shift?

Are you going to be charging at home before starting shifts?

& if during a shift will it be charging on a rapid 100kW charger?

Where in the country are you?

Edited by e-Roottoot

Hi, the longest single journey I’ve done is 183 miles. Started at 100% and an indicated range of 202 miles. Got back home 183 miles later with 8% remaining and an indicated range of 18 miles, so the cars initial estimate was only 1 mile out. That journey was a mix of urban, motorway and rural B roads. I did 70mph on motorways (probably 60 miles of the 183), 2 people on board boot full of stuff. That included 2 hours crawling through a traffic jam.

I have found the range indicator, which everyone seems to call a guessometer, to be very accurate. I think it helps that I am the only driver, It started out wildly optimistic when I first got the car but it soon adapted to how I drive and use the car. I don’t drive it hard, but don’t hang around and I’m definitely not going to be sat at 56 with no heating or aircon, or slipstreaming lorries. I have the climate set to 20 C and just leave it to do its stuff pretty much all year round.

They are definitely way more economical around town in stop start traffic.

4FBF38B9-E22B-4D2E-8A1D-6389836765D0.jpeg

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

The big difference to journeys which are over a run with only the odd stop is the battery temp compared to sitting stopped and a battery cooled and the car's interior cooled and when you stop you might switch off and have no lights on the car.  Town driving can actually be good for regening.  So it comes down to how long stopped and waiting time between fare paying customers and length of journey.   Car interior temp for customers will make a difference as will location location location.    I know that friends driving EV,s in Dundee had the cars plugged in and hot ready to go do jobs.   There is a sizeable fleet and has been for a good few years now.  Not been around Dundee much recently to see if anyone has Enyaqs or ID.4,s plated. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

11 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@JaytipIt will be good to hear peoples experiences of their Enyaq 60.

My guess is you will be safe for getting 180 miles from starting with a full charge  and still some range left before charging again.

But a bit of a charge when below 40% will help matters if you are on a 100kW charger.

58 kWh Usable.  If charged to 100%.

You will not run til empty so say with 55 kWh used.

If you get 4 miles per kWh then 220 miles.

3.5 miles per kWh 192.5 miles.

3.2 miles per kWh 176 miles.

There will be so many variables for you though.

The weather / temperature, how many passengers and is there luggage, the interior temp you will have the cars interior at, 

daytime use or night time.

Just being nosy but also really interested,

How many miles or hours do you normally do per shift?

Are you going to be charging at home before starting shifts?

& if during a shift will it be charging on a rapid 100kW charger?

Where in the country are you?

To be honest I left the taxi trade last October due to covid killing it, but talking to a few mates who stuck at it, they are saying it’s back now and stronger than before due to a lot of drivers (like me) leaving the trade.

my plan is to do about 60 hours a week and the mileage will be I guess about 120-140 miles per day.

I plan to install a home charger but I haven’t got round to that yet, so when I do, I’ll be starting every shift with a full charge. If I work a particularly long day and find myself running low on charge, there is a 50 kWh charger in the town where I work so I can always pop on that for 30 minutes or so.

Location wise, I’m down in South Wales.

• Thanks 1

No problem but it will need some management in the coldest of weather.

Much depends on how warm you want to be and how much sitting around you will do, but getting plugged in to charge during the day will help.

Not that 30 minutes on a 50kWh charger will be adding much in cold weather.

13 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

No problem but it will need some management in the coldest of weather.

Much depends on how warm you want to be and how much sitting around you will do, but getting plugged in to charge during the day will help.

Not that 30 minutes on a 50kWh charger will be adding much in cold weather.

We’ll see. I predict no problem even in cold weather.
30 minutes on a 50kW rapid will put around 80 miles into it.

• Like 1

We will see what we see as the OP will be charging at times in the cold.

A 50 kWh charger like an InstaVolt is good for 30 minutes of charging. 

But some of the crap ones on the Charge Place Scotland are no better than being on an AC charger.

@classic

have you sat in your car in cold winter weather yet when not driving or charging and have you kept the heating on to keep the interior warm?

6 x 10 hour shifts and 150 miles in a shift is 15 miles driving per hour. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@classic

have you sat in your car in cold winter weather yet when not driving or charging and have you kept the heating on to keep the interior warm?

Not yet, but if my 60 Enyaq goes 200 miles in summer with Aircon working, motorway speeds etc then even a 50% reduction for cold weather will still be 100 miles. From what I have read EVs in real cold countries (not the UK) lose 30 to 40% range in winter. I’m not even remotely concerned and I’m sure Jaytip will have no problems with their intended taxi use..

Edited by classic

11 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

We will see what we see as the OP will be charging at times in the cold.

A 50 kWh charger like an InstaVolt is good for 30 minutes of charging. 

But some of the crap ones on the Charge Place Scotland are no better than being on an AC charger.

@classic

6 x 10 hour shifts and 150 miles in a shift is 15 miles driving per hour. 

I am not worried about the running the Enyaq as a taxi in the slightest. Cab companies have been running 1st gen Nissan Leaf’s as taxis for years and their batteries are only just over half the size of the Enyaq’s.

I also know a guy who uses a Nissan eNV-200 to do parcel deliveries in and he swears by it. He delivers for one company in the mornings and then another company in the afternoon so he’s put putting a fair mileage on it.

I looked on EV-database at Kia E-Niro figures before deciding on the Enyaq. They are similar size and weight with the Kia having a slightly bigger battery and based on those figures, I was happy to take the chance with the Enyaq.

• Like 2

E-Niro & Kona are rather poor for adults climbing in and out of the rear.

That is real world, not Bloggers / Vloggers & Motoring Journalists type testing, that is how it is for adults. 

Wind deflectors are great for when sitting and not steaming up. Heated seat and steering wheel as well if they operate when not driving or plugged in.   ......,......

My friend David Young was there at the start of the EV Taxi Fleet in Dundee. Sadly he is no longer with us.

He is very much responsible for how Dundee is Electric City as far as EV's go.

Plenty taxis about.  Just pointing out the need for keeping the car and you comfortable inside. 

Bottom vid @ 10 mins 30 seconds.

Edited by e-Roottoot