Automatic braking while driving

f1tz

Hi fellow skoda owners!

I was driving yesterday with my Skoda Rapid 1.2tsi 2014 on a highway and suddenly the car started to brake by itself! I know it sound silly etc. But that really scared me out.

I could give gas and it responded but the breaking kept going stronger so I had to lower gears to keep the car going so I could go to the side of the road. After I shut down the car and started it again and the problem disappeard. What on earth was it? Has anyone else faced this situation? Maybe some electronical thing? Or air in the brakelines? 

There were no warnings just suddenly slowing down by breaking (I guess). And nothing appeared on the board. I drove for couple seconds while it was breaking and after it smelled a bit odd. Like brake pads? After this incident the car has worked just fine.

I hope I dont face this issue again since it was scary and dangerous.

Thanks in advance for any kind of respond.

Something making the brakes stick if you had city braking. I don’t think they do that on the Rapid?

Strongly suspect a sticking brake callipers. Please check which wheel is the hottest next time and after your next journey. Otherwise wheels off and check all disks and pads for excess wear. Don’t forget inner pad should be checked also.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 17:53, gav_is_con said:

Something making the brakes stick if you had city braking. I don’t think they do that on the Rapid?

Strongly suspect a sticking brake callipers. Please check which wheel is the hottest next time and after your next journey. Otherwise wheels off and check all disks and pads for excess wear. Don’t forget inner pad should be checked also.  

Hello and thanks for your comment. I visited a mechanic and he told that the problem sounded like an electric one. But there was no record of anything special in the cars ecu.

On 12/09/2021 at 18:05, e-Roottoot said:

@f1tz

Has the car ever had the brake fluid changed in the past 7 years or had it tested for H20 content? 

If the brake fluid had overheated it would not just have been OK after a on / off of the ignition. 

You need the car checked out by a competent mechanic.

Hi,

The car was in service 4 weeks ago. And they performed a brake fluid change so I think the fluid should be fine?

@f1tzThe car certainly should be fine, but since you started the thread it was not. 

So their work only 4 weeks ago might be the issue that needs checking.    A good professional needs to check the car because someone that says sounds like the problem is an electric one sounds like they might not have the gear or much of an idea. 

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@f1tzThe car certainly should be fine, but since you started the thread it was not. 

So their work only 4 weeks ago might be the issue that needs checking.    A good professional needs to check the car because someone that says sounds like the problem is an electric one sounds like they might not have the gear or much of an idea. 

That is true. Since the car has not done it after this one incident and it disappeared after a restart when it happened the only explanatory cause would be a sticky break? The car was serviced at a Skoda representative and they ask high prices from their job. Could I appeal on their job for them to take a look at the problem?

Sounds like it went into limp mode to me. I had exactly the same, the car suddenly lost power as if the brakes had been applied. I managed to get off the dual carriageway and perform a shut down then start up again and it was fine for a few miles before happening again.

Only difference with mine it threw up dash lights indicating the traction control was at fault.

If you haven't get the car hooked up to a diagnostic at the garage and go from there.

1 minute ago, MickA said:

Sounds like it went into limp mode to me. I had exactly the same, the car suddenly lost power as if the brakes had been applied. I managed to get off the dual carriageway and perform a shut down then start up again and it was fine for a few miles before happening again.

Only difference with mine it threw up dash lights indicating the traction control was at fault.

If you haven't get the car hooked up to a diagnostic at the garage and go from there.

Not sure about it since I have driven for approx 400km after this happened and it has not repeated. That is why it is so confusing. And there was a slight smell reminding of brake pads so… The car was hooked up and there was nothing special. Or that is what I was told.

If the ABS was doing something abmormal it would be logged. The ABS module isn't really capable of phantom braking unless there's something seriously wrong.

Buy VCDS/OBDEleven/Carista and check the codes yourself, helps you triage issues before they really become problems.