wheel alignment -rear toe

homai

Last Thursday I had a new steering rack and 4 new rims fitted to my 2020 Fabia wagon after hitting 3/4 of a truck retread tyre 3 months ago. Had to wait for parts from Europe to Australia.

They also did a wheel alignment.

I drive a 156km round trip on motorways to work and back.

I noticed a vibration though the floor at above 90 km-hr just like wheel balance-first trip after the dealer work carried out and todays trip.

On return to home I went though their invoice

No mention of a wheel balance!

And also noted 

rear toe right initial 4.6 min 1.1 max 3.2 final 3.6

left rear toe initial 0.2 min 1.1 max 3.2 final 0.4

I e mailed over the weekend my concerns re balance and toe.

No response Monday am so rang at 11am

Usual guy was away.

Booked to go back this Thursday.

Obviously if no wheel balance was done this would contribute to vibration.

my question to Bris koda forumers is

What factor  does the incorrect final rear toe settings contribute to vibration?

I need to get my ducks in a row to deal with ususal dealer bull shirt.

Thanks in advance.

Basically it could effect how well your car travels along the road and the wear and tear on suspension components such as tyres which could also decrease mpg.  Depends how bad things were with the damage, perhaps more than wheels are required or they just need more setting up.

One example that came up early on a internet Search. - http://www.awautotech.co.uk/services/wheel-alignment-and-4-wheel-geometry-check

Haynes - Understanding your car’s suspension geometry - https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/understanding-your-car-s-suspension-geometry

Rule of thumb:-

Vibration at higher speeds = wheel balance or tyre pressures.

If the steering wheel is vibrating then balance front wheels.

If the vibration is felt through the seat then balance the rear wheels.

11 hours ago, homai said:

rear toe right initial 4.6 min 1.1 max 3.2 final 3.6

left rear toe initial 0.2 min 1.1 max 3.2 final 0.4

What units are these?  ( degrees , minutes or MM? )

I don't think the rear alignment is adjustable unless they are just moving the the whole rear axle.

But this won't change the total toe just the thrust angle.

Obviously if no wheel balance was done this would contribute to vibration.

Correct.

What factor  does the incorrect final rear toe settings contribute to vibration?

None directly, but if the tyres wear unevenly because of poor alignment then this can make the wheels/tyres go out of balance.

Thanks, AG Falco

Thanks guys.

I took it back today.

They balanced it -it was way out on all but especially 2 wheels. Why they didnt balance it after fitting steering rack 4 new rims and doing a wheel alignment is an error on their part and not road testing it a second error,

Anyway the tech today rejigged the wheel alignment balanced it road tested it and told me about the rear axle and toe so that reflects your comments AGFALCO.

I feel comfortable talking direct to the tech.

The manager said theres no charge today...just as well.

so tomorrow its a 156km motorwatyreturn trip to work see how it feels.

I got it up to 100km/hr today and it definitely felt better but it was too short -the motorway trip will tell the story.

• Like 1

Motorway will help with straight line and speed assessment but If you have the equivalent of English country narrow tight twisty roads with long sweeping and short tight bends that can be taken at a reasonable (and obviously safe) speed then that's also good for testing, all subject to your tyres all being in good condition and at correct pressures.

Totally agree that given the work they did that wheel balance and road testing just seems to be have forgotten about first time, could be many reasons for it but none with a good excuse for letting you have the vehicle back the way it was.

Good luck.

I was taking it that toe was referring to front and just conformation of what AGFalco put about the rear.

Personally I was wondering if damage was also done to rear as well or just the need to balance the rear wheels as a set of four new wheels(?) and tyres(?) but all seems sorted now anyway.

Yes maybe some minor mark the tech said on the rear beam but he said shouldnt be an issue.

Yes bit slack of them not to balance and road test in the first instance.

Just rushed. shortage of techs and mechanics in Australia.

Lots of apprentices at dealers particuarly.