Disappointed in off road performance

Sargan

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2021 at 23:57, Sargan said:

Car went in today for resolution. (Full Haldex service)

Dealer advises Haldex was very dirty, and so was the oil.

They have cleaned it fully, and replaced the oil and now advise all working OK.

Will you take it to the slipway and give it the same road test that exposed the problem?

See if the front wheels stop spinning and the rear wheels engage drive.

I’d be down there in a heartbeat 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sargan said:

It went in for Haldex service, they advise 4WD is now working.    

1st thing I would have done, is test it for myself to make sure. Don’t always believe what dealers tell/ fob you off with.

Be happy to do that, just not sure how without risking being stuck again.

Plus if car moves out of mud (for example) how could I tell if rear wheel being driven or just rolling ?  would need to be able to make front wheels spin without car moving

3 hours ago, DaveMiller said:

With a friend and a tow-rope?

How ? ........ if I put car in mud, I'd have to put it somewhere  that makes front wheels slip ..... but if Haldex working rear whels would drive anyway ..... or is there a way to turn off 4WD to get it stuck ?

I I jack cae up off all 4 wheel then that would simulate slippage and if rear wheeel drive then that would prove Haldex ... but is that a relastic test.

8 minutes ago, Sargan said:

How ? ........ if I put car in mud, I'd have to put it somewhere  that makes front wheels slip ..... but if Haldex working rear whels would drive anyway ..... or is there a way to turn off 4WD to get it stuck ?

I I jack cae up off all 4 wheel then that would simulate slippage and if rear wheeel drive then that would prove Haldex ... but is that a relastic test.

You asked how to test it “without the risk of bogging it down again”.  That’s where the friend (with car on solid ground) comes in.  
Testing on the slippery ramp and having just the front wheels spin again would show the car is NOT fixed.

I agree that if the car does drive up the ramp, you won’t know which wheels have driven it.

That ramp is not an option to use for this .... I do agree it would be nice to prove ..... the problem is anytime the car moves out I don't know if  back wheels are driving or following.

Have to think it through.

Wait for a wet day and pull away from a slippery T junction with too much power for a FWD vehicle.

Whilst my Kodiaq has gone on to pastures new, I'm following this thread with interest.

To my knowledge my 4WD was never called into action in 3 years of ownership, but I did wonder if I'd know when it was.

Probably talking out the top of head now, but is there no warning light/buzzer that appears on the dash if the rear wheels get driven ? There seems  to be an alarm for virtually everything else.

I thought that once you put in 'Off Rd Mode' it would show some form of 'power to rear wheel indication'

I'm not aware of anything .... perhaps someone here knows different.

The reverse of that is that there was no alarm or error to warn that Haldex was not working ... plus no 'service due' message or similar, I asked about this and was advised that Haldex service is just an option not carried out as part of normal service schedules.

I asked about this and was advised that Haldex service is just an option not carried out as part of normal service schedules.

That's a poor show considering the possible problems that can occur if the Hldex isn't serviced, or serviced properly.

Agree .. when asked I was told there is a recommendation the oil changed at 30,000 miles, but as they did not mention this when it was in for annual service I was unaware.

It had also been marked on their system as 'deferred'   .... but they were unable to say who had set that.

Yes strange no service message that its due .... other service items do 'pop up'

I asked about this and was advised that Haldex service is just an option not carried out as part of normal service schedules.

The service interval for Haldex is 3 years. I do it in every 100 000 km just for a case.

• Confused 1

Now it is 3 years or 30,000 miles.  At 20,000 some pumps are gunked up.   

(Skoda still had the Recommendation at 40,000 miles when VW had changed to 30,000 miles.)

@ 62,000 miles / 100,000 km is not a just in case,

it is far too late really. 

(The DSG is @ 40,000 miles, 38,000 if an Audi so called s-Tronic, same thing, it is not @ 4 years,

but Skoda are triers.)

1624336521_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.3c042b3d60ff4f7eed63333aeb416947.webp.d154c236398031a998b1fdde39041a5b.webp.8cfaafe87c7ff96e145844e3c30112b6.webp

Edited by e-Roottoot

@ that was too late as you discovered.

Dunking them in water be it fresh and dirty or salt water is an issue.

Driving them just on roads can be an issue.

As i posted before, dunking the rear diff can be an issue, so best have the Diff Oil Changed at some point. 

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Now it is 3 years or 30,000 miles.

At least for my 2019 model it`s 3 years without mileage limitation. Pretty sure they follow the official servicing list and so far no Haldex oil change unless I told them so.

But good to know, will let them change more often from now on.

Edited by linni
  • Thanks 1

@linni

Is that according to Skoda / VW Estonia or a Dealership, or something showing some Schedule, recommendation or guidelines in the Owners Manual or Service Manual?

Saying 3 years with Haldex is really just like saying the same for first brake fluid change and takes no account into locations, use or abuse. 

(At least you can check the Brake Fluid for H20 content, many do, not main dealers techs though as a common practice or courtesy.)

The issue with Haldex is that many vehicles need attention to it long before 3 years.

Just as when it was 4 years and many failed prematurely.

Edited by roottoot

@roottoot TBH I have no idea, but I suppose it`s according to manufacurer`s regulations. 

And haven`t heard about Haldex issues locally really, although we have more salt and snow and s.it on the roads.

My old Superb 2 is done 430 000 km now (sold to friend) and I remember I only once changed the oil at 210 000 km.

Kodiaq done now 200 000 km and Haldex oli changed at 120 000 km and that`s only because I ordered this service.

No Haldex problems so far.

I’ve only driven in fields a few times in 4.1/2 years with 2 Kodiaqs. Usually race track car parks.

The car has always “walked” up gentle slopes without batting an eyelid so of course I don’t know if AWD kicked in.

And almost all 2WD vehicles usually get on OK too. Though some runout of ground clearance and others simply choose the extra wet areas and get stuck.

However, my few experiences on snow, ice, slush on the roads, whenever I’ve encountered an uphill road I simply floor the throttle pedal so that the front wheels start spinning then the rears kick in seamlessly. I have no video evidence of the the view from outside, nor have I employed a buddy to watch the spectacle. Am pretty sure things works as per the book.

What book tells you to floor the throttle on an uphill section when in snow, ice or slushy conditions?

The system works very well left to its own devices, if you need to floor the throttle for the RWD to cut in then it was not needed in the first place.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 20:04, roottoot said:

@linni

>>

The issue with Haldex is that many vehicles need attention to it long before 3 years.

Just as when it was 4 years and many failed prematurely.

This agrees with what I posted earlier - that there is no 'Haldex Service due alarm' .. no any alarm when Haldex is not working properly or totally failed  .... you would expect 'pump failure alarm.   or 'low oil pressure' or something that shows it should have kicked-in but didn't.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

What book tells you to floor the throttle on an uphill section when in snow, ice or slushy conditions?

The system works very well left to its own devices, if you need to floor the throttle for the RWD to cut in then it was not needed in the first place.

That is the issue though ..... 'left to its own devices' ...... but you don't know if it is working (or failed)