Upgraded towing weights

Smitch_vrs

Hi, 

my my2019 VRS has a max towing weight of 1750 and a woefully low nose weight of 70kg on the factory fitted tow bar (mine is actually stamped 100kg).

In my2020 Skoda updated the entire range to be 2000kg max towing weight and a 100kg nose weight. No one seems to be sure why other than it’s a re assessment.

Does anyone know if this was a general re assessment not involving technical changes and if so can the new nose weight  be back ported to the my19 models?

Whenever I ask Skoda they quote the higher limits but then when I point out the original limits they scratch their heads, I’ve tried escalating it to skoda uk and they said they would respond in 5 days 10 days ago 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yea I’m awardee I’m going to be stuck with the towing weight due to the stated GTW but the poor nose weight is the biggest killer for me 😞

The stamped “s” weight is fine but the manufacturers recommended is very low, and has since been updated with no technical reason.

The reason you've got a 100kg stamped on your hitch is because Skoda will use the same hitch across the range and some earlier models did have a 100kg noseweight limit. e.g. my old 5 seater SE L.  The 7 seaters were rated at 80kgs because the extra rear seats put extra weight in the rear of the car. I believe I'm correct in stating that your VRS has a battery in the boot, which is why your noseweight is even lower.

I'm guessing that skoda have changed things in the rear of cars e.g. seat types, lighter battery etc etc, which have allowed noseweights to increase.

If you tow a caravan, then you'll know that it takes little to be put in or taken out of the front storage hatch to alter the caravan noseweight.

The extra towing limit is a bit of a mystery, but I'm sure there's a simple explanation. KennyR is correct though, your limits are stamped on a plate on the car and legally you should not exceed them. If you do and you're involved in an accident, you could be prosecuted and your insurance nullified.

1 hour ago, Smitch_vrs said:

can the new nose weight  be back ported to the my19 models

Well maybe, if you're prepared to go through a whole Single Vehicle Assessment for each truck you want to increase the nose weight of.

@olderman1 the assumption was that it was the additional weight of the seats and the battery … but then they upgraded the entire range including the VRS with no technical modifications whatsoever  🤷🏻‍♂️

it’s all very odd and currently even Skoda UK can’t really confirm it either way. With the inflated used car market I can trade the VRS in for 2k more than I bout it for but I’m reluctant to do so as it’s only the nose weight which is forcing the upgrade.

very aware of the legal aspect of things which is why I’m desperately trying to find out but so far I’ve found 4 different values quoted for the vehicle which makes things a little confusing 😂😂

but then they upgraded the entire range including the VRS with no technical modifications whatsoever 

Having had no response from Skoda you can't know that for sure. Specs are always in flux and manufacturers are constantly striving to lose weight to keep costs down and to meet emissions targets. Upping the nose weight could be down to something as simple as removing the tyre inflation kit from the boot, or they've made the rear seat frames from aluminium rather than steel. These are just possible examples and the guys on the end of a phone at customer service won't know about those types of details. That's why you're having to wait whilst your query is escalated to a higher level and someone who hopefully knows the answer.

On another matter recently, it's my experience that because specs are changing so often,  people in the industry can't or haven't kept up with them and sometimes your only hope comes down to pot luck by finding the one nerdy head tech in a dealership that really does try and keep up with it all.

Frankly and maybe harshly, I'd stop beating yourself up about finding the reasons these weights have changed because it won't make any difference to your current car. What is stamped on the specs plate is what you're stuck with. If a 75kg noseweight limit is too low for you, then you bought the wrong car. Maybe you went for style over substance, thinking that the more powerful car would be capable of taking more weight. Not an unreasonable assumption I guess, but if you're buying a car for a specific purpose  then research should be done before buying to make sure the car is capable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Had an interesting discussion with a salesman in a Skoda dealer about towing limits and nose weights over the weekend, I think he thought I was bonkers when I called initially and insisted on him checking the VIN plate on the 2022MY car he was selling to establish if it was 2000 0r 2300kg. Even when I called in to see it when I was passing,  he was most insistent that they were all the same until I showed him the 2300kg on mine, to all intents and purposes an identical car to the one he was selling, but nearly four years older.

I'd be intrigued to know if there's been any mechanical changes, even with careful packing to balance the weight, my 2018 is a bit twitchy with our twin axle caravan, particularly in crosswinds, and I'd like something that's a bit more planted on the road so news of what the differences might be could convince me that another Kodi is a worthwhile option. Much though I love the car, its been a troublesome child and with indifferent dealers seemingly little interested in putting things right, another one isn't top of the list at the minute, but I'm struggling to find anything that's likely to be a better towcar.

On 10/07/2023 at 16:04, Ranger said:

Had an interesting discussion with a salesman in a Skoda dealer about towing limits and nose weights over the weekend, I think he thought I was bonkers when I called initially and insisted on him checking the VIN plate on the 2022MY car he was selling to establish if it was 2000 0r 2300kg. Even when I called in to see it when I was passing,  he was most insistent that they were all the same until I showed him the 2300kg on mine, to all intents and purposes an identical car to the one he was selling, but nearly four years older.

I'd be intrigued to know if there's been any mechanical changes, even with careful packing to balance the weight, my 2018 is a bit twitchy with our twin axle caravan, particularly in crosswinds, and I'd like something that's a bit more planted on the road so news of what the differences might be could convince me that another Kodi is a worthwhile option. Much though I love the car, its been a troublesome child and with indifferent dealers seemingly little interested in putting things right, another one isn't top of the list at the minute, but I'm struggling to find anything that's likely to be a better towcar.

In my experience, getting technical information out of a salesperson, is a hiding to nothing.    Get on to Skoda Customer Services and ask for a "Certificate of Conformity" for your car.  You're entitled to a free, paper one, but if one has already been issued for your car, they're allowed to charge for a duplicate, so make sure you haven't already got one.  It's a single sheet of A4, with loads of technical and regulatory data on it.  (See attached).  Fields 18 and 19  will give you the type approval information for your actual car (the VIN will be on the front of the certificate).  This is the definitive legal document.  Nothing else matters.  Forget what you hear on internet fora, from owners or salespeople!

1954925321_CoCside2.thumb.jpg.010bfadaade1a4746e08a5d0fc852ea8.jpg

CoC side 1.jpg

I received one of those in a plain white envelope along with the other paperwork. It wasn't something the dealer mentioned, only found it later.

(Also, I had my towbar fitted last week, Towtrust detachable with Westfalia wiring, all working fine.)

1 hour ago, Yearofthegoat said:

I received one of those in a plain white envelope along with the other paperwork. It wasn't something the dealer mentioned, only found it later.

(Also, I had my towbar fitted last week, Towtrust detachable with Westfalia wiring, all working fine.)

Keep it safe, some manufacturers can charge well into 3 figures for a duplicate!

• Like 1

Essential to reregister the vehicle in another EU country.

• Like 1