Air Con centre vent positioning - is it too low?

LittleBoot

Hi guys,

First post so be gentle!

I have just ordered a new Octy 2.0TSi Auto in graphite with the following options:

TA

Canton

Rear cam

Electric seats (microsuede)

EFDM

BAS

HUD

Winter pack

The question I have is the centre vents look very low, (yes I have sat in but not driven the car,) and wondered people who have the car do they find the centre vents provide enough air to your face? 

Does the air hit your face or does it hit your torso or knees?

Many thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forums Paul.

I’ve been driving the Octy4 for about 6 months and about 10k miles and find the centre vent positioning OK for the vast majority of the time. With hands on the wheel in ‘ten to two’ position sometimes my left hand/wrist was in the way for the airflow to the face. A gentle nudge up and it was fine or move my grip on the wheel down a little.

I’ve found the electric seat to be more comfortable than the standard ones, a good option to go for!

Hi Paul and welcome.

I own a mk4 since January and 99% of the time all I am changing is the temperature. I have air con set to auto and in my opinion it works brilliant. In the winter time I also use max defrost but that's it. I never needed to adjust any vents to blow air directly to me. Even in the hottest summer months.

Happy waiting time! ;)

I think the centre outlets are misplaced, but I don't know where else they could go. With the heating control on Auto I found the centre vent was continually blowing cold over my left hand which was very annoying. However, I have just recently found that the fan speed can be reduced or even turned off and this completely stops the problem. There is no lack of fresh air in the car. The heating and ventilation is good.

9 hours ago, LittleBoot said:

The question I have is the centre vents look very low, (yes I have sat in but not driven the car,) and wondered people who have the car do they find the centre vents provide enough air to your face? 

Does the air hit your face or does it hit your torso or knees?

I have had mine for close to 4 months but due to lockdown have only done 1600kms and those mostly in our (very mild) winter. Still, lately we have had days in the mid-twenties.

I am someone who actually likes to blast cold air in my face so I miss being able to have two outlets at face level (centre and right) and hitting one button (in the days when cars still had buttons) to force the aircon to max. Our Golf Wagon has this and it is very effective in cooling you down when you start off on a hot day.

Nevertheless I have found the Octavia in its default auto aircon mode does a very good job of getting the whole car to a pleasant temperature and maintaining it.

And even if the centre vent cannot really blast air onto your face, the one next to the driver's door can blow onto your face, even if the volume is not so high.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. I feel alot more confident about the decision I have made. I really appreciate your input.

The long wait begins - I have been told March / April 22....

I am in no rush. I'm selling a 330i G20, (dreadfully uncomfortable seat and the transmission tunnel intrusion to my left leg is giving me sciatica,) so it is going next week. Thankfully a chunk of equity and the monthlies saved waiting between now and next year will pay for the deposit. I've had a Mk2 and MK3 RS so looking forward to it.

Thanks again

P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I only really noticed this when I was looking for the face level vents when I bought mine in August. Doesn't bother me in the slightest now , I quite like them there, you can direct upwards anyway so don't see an issue