Spline Bolt Socket Size

Johnmarsh

Before I take airbag unit off steering wheel would be good to know what socket size is needed for spline Bolt.  Then I'll go and buy one.

I saw online someone repairing a stalk switch so I might dismantle that and if repairable save a bit of money.

Looks like it may come apart with screws holding it together, unless anyone knows other wise, please let me know.   I tried spraying contact cleaner into crevice but to no avail.  

It's a Roomster  2012 TSI 105, guess spline bolts gonna be same on most models?

Cheers

John

8 hours ago, Johnmarsh said:

what socket size is needed for spline Bolt

Before anyone even attempts to answer this, I think we want to know what you mean by a "spline bolt". Off hand, I can think of at least 4 different meanings!

Edited by KenONeill

Hi Ken,

I mean the steering wheel bolt that secures the steering wheel.  I put put spline bolt because I notice that term being used before but maybe it's incorrect.  

Also from what I see online it looks like a torx screw/ bolt.  But I didn't know the size of it which is why Is have to go and buy a socket to fit my  wrench that will have that correct type to fit that torx type screw bolt securing the steering wheel.  Hopefully that's a bit clearer.  

And thanks for link Wino

Bear in mind that the tool size isn't always the same as the thread size shown on ETKA for XZN type screws, so it might be a smaller tool than M18. 

Couple of forum results for that part number say it's an M12 XZN tool.

e.g. here: Jetta MK6 MFSW Retrofit DIY | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

and

Removing steering wheel | polo.blue

Second link has some really nice photos and stuff about it about 2/3 of the way down the page.

Edited by Wino

@Johnmarsh  I saw a reference somewhere that said there's no relation between the 'M' size of the XZN tool that fits in the head and the metric thread description of the screw part, so don't buy an M18 tool.

Just found a very handy link to a pdf with metric and imperial measurements that will enable you to check yourself the size of XZN bit required, I've learned something today!

triplesquaretable.pdf (metalnerd.com)

1 hour ago, Johnmarsh said:

the steering wheel bolt that secures the steering wheel.

Well, my experience of that nut on my cars has been "a big fornicate-off head" and the best tool for the job (taking into account the torque) is a 12" crescent spanner. Loosen the nut 1 to 2 turns, then bang alternate sides of the steering wheel towards you to break the grip of the taper splines between the wheel and column, and finally remove the nut and wheel.

What I thought you were asking about was the bolts (well technically set screws) for the airbag cover, which could be torx 6, torx 12 or double square heads.