Almost new Kodiaq - strange “rattling” sound when disengaging clutch after a quick acceleration while in 1st gear or reverse

nnever

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The guy in the last video has the same suspicions as I do now having heard all of them, turbo wastegate chatter, the chavs around here pay a fortune to modify theirs to sound like sh1te and for people to hopefully look at them, they have had to adopt their driving technique to do the decelleration/declutch every 10 yards, one has one that makes a spooky whooshing howling noise.

It was his underbonnet audio recording that convinced me, his subtitles suggest the turbo.

I am guessing and I hope someone will confirm/deny/explain that the boost pressure is bled off when you declutch to change gear but not if you simply decellerate.

I am not sure I understood everything you just wrote...

But the sound (in my case), that I am having issue with, is heard ONLY when declutching - to avoid wording confusion, this is when I am stepping with my foot on the clutch pedal (more pronounced if this operation is quick and if I am in 1st gear or reverse while doing so). The sound is identical to that best heard in the second video of my previous post from 1:16 to 1:25 (and also from 1:11 to 1:13 in his driving test).  

It has nothing to do with acceleration-deacceleration...

5 hours ago, nnever said:

I am not sure I understood everything you just wrote...

But the sound (in my case), that I am having issue with, is heard ONLY when declutching - to avoid wording confusion, this is when I am stepping with my foot on the clutch pedal (more pronounced if this operation is quick and if I am in 1st gear or reverse while doing so). The sound is identical to that best heard in the second video of my previous post from 1:16 to 1:25 (and also from 1:11 to 1:13 in his driving test).  

It has nothing to do with acceleration-deacceleration...

I don't explain things in the best of ways and my use of the old fashioned "declutch" phrase doesn't help, I believe the noise I heard from under the bonnet was the turbo wastegate releasing boost pressure with a chattering motion, I was saying that it doesn't happen with deceleration or revving the engine up and down,  both those scenarios are likely to be followed by acceleration so the boost pressure is maintained, however declutching (disengaging the clutch) for a gearchange in the lower gears where there is a big drop in revs to the next ratio I believe the ECU operates the turbo wastegate.

Its what it sounds like, its what I think the noise is, my explanation is only a proposal and I am hoping that those more knowledgable than myself will either confirm or disprove the theory.

As much as I was convinced it was a mechanical noise at first I am now equally convinced from hearing the other videos especially the underbonnet one and all the Kevins that hoon past my property (echos from the buildings like in a tunnel) to make farty, chattery,spooky noises, that it is a wastegate noise, its more plausible than multiple transmission failure at low mileages.

Of course the explanations from Skoda are total BS but that and total indifference is to be expected, any truthfullness would be a random coincidence.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I don't explain things in the best of ways and my use of the old fashioned "declutch" phrase doesn't help, I believe the noise I heard from under the bonnet was the turbo wastegate releasing boost pressure with a chattering motion, I was saying that it doesn't happen with deceleration or revving the engine up and down,  both those scenarios are likely to be followed by acceleration so the boost pressure is maintained, however declutching (disengaging the clutch) for a gearchange in the lower gears where there is a big drop in revs to the next ratio I believe the ECU operates the turbo wastegate.

Its what it sounds like, its what I think the noise is, my explanation is only a proposal and I am hoping that those more knowledgable than myself will either confirm or disprove the theory.

As much as I was convinced it was a mechanical noise at first I am now equally convinced from hearing the other videos especially the underbonnet one and all the Kevins that hoon past my property (echos from the buildings like in a tunnel) to make farty, chattery,spooky noises, that it is a wastegate noise, its more plausible than multiple transmission failure at low mileages.

Of course the explanations from Skoda are total BS but that and total indifference is to be expected, any truthfullness would be a random coincidence.

As much as I enjoyed reading your post, it is beyond me to comprehend it completely without educating myself greatly in the matters that are just too much for me to understand.

To promote the discussion further, I am adding one more video that peaked my interest, which I found in the previously quoted thread:

This is the operation of DMF with centrifugalna pendulum, and the sound that can be heard when the pendulum parts are moving when shown dissesembeled is much similar to the one I am hearing when declutching. Are these engines even equiped with this type of DMF, could this be the culprit?

In the end, all I want to know is if my car is operating as intended and safely...

Edited by nnever

Well done for you for finding that video, it was very informative and has answered some lingering questions that I had from changing my own DMF recently.

Long before the narrator got to speaking of the noise I could immediately see that those pendulum weights would make a rattling on declutching coming to a new equilibrium as the gear train is no longer absorbing the torsional vibration and your noise could well correspond to that.

As you say, you need to find if your vehicle and the others affected have these new flywheels fitted.

At the end of the video he speaks of another one for more information on the functio of a basic dual mass flywheel, do you possibly have a link to that one.

I found another video about the noise this DMF CPA makes:

It is almost identical to what I am hearing in my scenario.

I am having trouble finding online information whether this DMF is fitted in Kodiaqs from 2021. From what I gathered they first started fitting them in BMW from 2018, and then in VW, Škoda, Audi and Seat. 

It would be fantastic is someone could confirm this is the case for new Kodiaqs?

If so, there is nothing that can be done.

It is ridiculous that manufacturers go to such extents to develop this kind of technology just to squeeze out a few more percent of power for same fuel consumption. Which ultimately results in parts with questionable duration and adds up to shorter life span and even more waste produced...

I've also asked my Service Partner to confirm this.

Edited by nnever

Here is what I got in a written document from my Škoda Service Partner today (translated to English):

"After a detailed analysis of the repotred sounds (video from the service workshop and customer video), feedback from the manufacturer's technical service was received in which the occurrence of rattling in the area of power transmission is not considered a technical defect. The functions of the clutch and transmission assembly are not interfered with and meet the requirements of the manufacturer. Due to the construction of the vehicle, it is important to emphasize that by replacing the power transmission parts, the sound will not be removed with the current production parameters. The manufacturer's documentation recorded this phenomenon from the point of view of comfort."

I am out of options for now...

Edited by nnever

Yes, i showed this issue on my superb 1.4 tsi to my skoda technician near Prague and they didnt consider that normal, but according to skoda, its normal behaviour... I already adapted my driving to almost eliminate this rattle/stutter, but it certainly makes driving less enjoyable.

50 minutes ago, LukasK said:

Yes, i showed this issue on my superb 1.4 tsi to my skoda technician near Prague and they didnt consider that normal, but according to skoda, its normal behaviour... I already adapted my driving to almost eliminate this rattle/stutter, but it certainly makes driving less enjoyable.

When was this, if I may ask?

Because yesterday I got an answer from Skoda service partner that there may be a fix for this from Skoda, but it is not known when. I am not sure if I believe this, so I wonder how long do they know about this issue. If a long time has passed since you reported this issue, then it is less likely they are working on a fix this long...

Edited by nnever