Which engines to avoid and how to detect them?

So my Octavia 1.8 TSI (2010) just died after 140K KM. It's the good old issue of TSI engines burning oil discussed at length here in the forum:

I did enjoy the car, so I am considering getting another, second hand, Octavia.

How to look for and pick one with an engine that does not have the same issue? Can I limit the search based on the production date?

Thank you.

I have a 62 plate estate with the 1.4 engine mated to the 7 speed dsg box. Car has done over 60k with myself putting around 20k miles on it and the only problem I've had is to put a new water pump on it,tomorrow in fact. No oil or coolant loss excellent mpg, over 42 mpg, since I've had it. A really great drive even fully loaded with 4 passengers.

On 11/10/2021 at 17:28, leginegdoh said:

I have a 62 plate estate with the 1.4 engine mated to the 7 speed dsg box. Car has done over 60k with myself putting around 20k miles on it and the only problem I've had is to put a new water pump on it,tomorrow in fact. No oil or coolant loss excellent mpg, over 42 mpg, since I've had it. A really great drive even fully loaded with 4 passengers.

At least the water pump is a doddle to change as it's driven from the aux belt and not a timing belt or chain.

I've also had my estate fully loaded up with 3 adults, a dog, boot full to the roof and 3 bikes on the tow bar. Up and down mountain roads etc and zero problems. Never felt underpowered or laboured.

• 4 weeks later...