Electrical gremlins...

2007 Skoda Fabia Bohemia 

Hi all, suffering from a series of electrical gremlins that need exorcism, after I fitted a new window motor. Here is the list. 

Windows only open if car is unlocked via key not fob. 

Passenger window opens from passenger side but not drivers side. 

Door lock buttons on drivers side work intermittently (have to press reasonably hard). 

I assume I'll probably need a new drivers side switch unit. 

I noticed the drivers side brake light was out too. Would this have any affect on the other issues I'm having. 

Car has more issues than the periodicals section of a library. 

I didn't match part numbers, was at a scrapyard and went for the old school (possibly stupid) method of "as a polo, fabia, and ibiza are pretty much the same car, they use same parts... " 

The motor is actually off the passenger side of an 06 plate Ibiza, but I offered it up to the Fabia in the yard, made sure all of the connectors fitted. As such I can understand only one side opening and closing from drivers controls. 

The windows at least work for the first time in 3 years, just not fun having to do some kind of weird secret handshake to get them to work lol. 

Edited by jcarr162000

Unfortunately as Windows worked when I tested them I binned the knackered unit, and yesterday was bin day. 

What a comedy of errors...  

Additionally I noticed that some of the switches had 6-pins and some have 9-pins. Would this make any difference

I would read the part number off your existing switch unit and match that.  Sounds like that needs replacing anyway.

I'm failing to find it in parts catalogue just now, and due at the dentist shortly.  :crying:

Well what would you know, I replaced the brake light, re-seated the connector in armrest, and the windows now work... OK so passenger side still won't work from drivers side, but I'm gonna take this as a win... Next step get passenger side door lock sorted and see what happens next. 

1 minute ago, jcarr162000 said:

OK so passenger side still won't work from drivers side

Until then you're going to have to bring a big stick... :giggle:

All jokes aside, glad you've got it partially working. The feeling of accomplishment and success is a great thing. 

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Until then you're going to have to bring a big stick... :giggle:

It's my mums car so generally speaking someone is in passenger seat. 

Just the electrical issues are annoying as it's otherwise a bloody good car

IMG_20211007_202455.jpg

• Like 1

It's a nice looking car. I was never fond of that beige colour but it looks good with the body coloured handles. Those wheels are also excellent, in my "unbiased" opinion, really smarten a Fabia up.

4 minutes ago, jcarr162000 said:

Just the electrical issues are annoying as it's otherwise a bloody good car

Yep, some of them can be really odd too!