Charging upgrade

Fran57

Does anyone know what exactly is involved in upgrading from 50 to 100kw charging? Is it just a software upgrade? I got an email from Skoda this week offering this upgrade for €455 for my 4 month old iv60. I've checked the Skoda configurator and it is now a no cost option. 

If it is just updating the software then I think it’s expensive.

I assumed there must be some hardware to it to justify the price as an option when new.

Edited by classic

My thoughts too but I quote directly from the email "no physical modifications are required, it is simply activated by a qualified technician". That sounds like a quick plg in and go!

They can hardly give it as a free upgrade without giving refunds to those who paid for the faster charging when they bought the car. So I guess its now available as a dealer upgrade for anyone regretting not ordering it from the get go or buying second hand. 

Interesting, as I got a car from stock that had 50kW charging. I probably would have specified 100kW charging as an option if I’d ordered one to be built, but 6,000 miles of use later and I haven’t had to rapid charge it at all yet. I’m not sure that, for me, the cost would be worth it.

• Like 1

It's a software only upgrade, people in Denmark and Netherlands on other forums have had it done and report it was quick and easy. In the UK and some other markets, 50kW is no longer an option on 60 and 80 (it was never an option on 80X). The 100kW/125kW option is now ticked but can't be unticked, and the base cost of the Enyaq has now risen to include it. I suspect from November or December's brochure/Configurator all mention of 50kW will disappear. 

1 hour ago, RichR said:

It's a software only upgrade, people in Denmark and Netherlands on other forums have had it done and report it was quick and easy. In the UK and some other markets, 50kW is no longer an option on 60 and 80 (it was never an option on 80X). The 100kW/125kW option is now ticked but can't be unticked, and the base cost of the Enyaq has now risen to include it. I suspect from November or December's brochure/Configurator all mention of 50kW will disappear. 

Can you point to some of the forums? Being from Denmark I would like to know :) 

There is a retrofit software upgrade available in the Dutch market. Skoda part number 5LA054831A
Not sure if available in all markets yet.
Heres a link to the Dutch Skoda website using google translate :-

https://shop-skoda-be.translate.goog/nl ... pto=nui,sc

Interesting. Then all the rumors about it being only a software upgrade where true.

This also indicates that further upgrades are possible, at least technically. Fingers crossed that a future update will allow us to charge with more than 125kw.

Rumours are the iV60 and iV80 will both get a bump in charging speed. I think iV60 to 120kW and iV80 to 170kW or numbers around those. 

Edited by Xtopher

To be fair, those rumours have been circulating in ID.3/ID.4 groups for almost a year now, still no sign. Its an owner wish list item I think with no indication from VAG if this is possible or likely. (and if it is, would this not be rolled out to Audi first as the premium brand?)

• 3 weeks later...

At least something for waiting. But how can someone think it could be free of charge.

Tesla have all hardware for autonomous driving ad you have to pay 6000£+ to activate.

same with batteries, only during a Florida storm Tesla opened the full capacity for people enabling them to drive as far as possible for a limited time.

so even if the hardware is there they want some cash back.