ABS and TMPS error

This month I did a full service and MOT on my Skoda Octavia MK3, and they gave me an advisory for the front left shock absorber as I need to change it. So I told them to change both of the front shock absorbers. After that, I used the car for three days to work, and everything worked fine. Also, this morning I used the car, and everything was fine. When I arrived home, I decided to wash the car, but after I finished and tried to park it, I had the warning lights flashing for the TMPS and ABS.
My question is that can the sensor has anything to do with the change of my shock absorbers?

37 minutes ago, decebal said:

can the sensor has anything to do with the change of my shock absorbers?

Yes and no.

Yes in that the replacement dampers will have necessitated disturbing the cables to the front ABS sensors, and maybe the sensors themselves. And that could have a knock-on effect on the TPMS, and any traction control system fitted.

No in that it should not cause any defect(s) other than from disconnecting and reconnecting the sensors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, decebal said:

So, shoud I go back to the garage to check with them?

I would, but be prepared for a main stealer to say "Nothing to do wif us Guv, and it'll cost you £90 to even find out where to look."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ords said:

Can you look for the wiring to the sensors yourself? It's possible they haven't been re-connected properly and water has got into the connectors.

I think the problem appeared when I washed the wheels with the pressure washer. I will lift the car when the weather dries, and I will look at the connectors.  At the moment, the lights disappeared after I drove a few minutes.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, decebal said:

I think the problem appeared when I washed the wheels with the pressure washer.

Which makes it your fault. Anyway, the issue will almost certainly be water penetration in the connectors.

• Like 1

Today, I managed to look at the sensors. I am stupefied by my findings. It is appaling. I think I need to go back to the garage to fix it.

These are the pictures of it. 

IMG_20211103_144108.jpg

IMG_20211103_144134.jpg

IMG_20211103_145215.jpg

Also, I have all these errors now.

IMG_20211103_171430.jpg

Edited by decebal

1 hour ago, decebal said:

Today, I managed to look at the sensors. I am stupefied by my findings. It is appaling. I think I need to go back to the garage to fix it.

These are the pictures of it.

I'll partially recant my last. The fault lies with whoever did that bodge job on the sensor wiring.

• Like 3

You are missing a few inches of cable besides one rubber grommet & the end connector. I have done a photo montage, using shots from my Golf (MQB) & yes its the drivers side which also has the brake pad wear sensor, BUT the wiring positioning is the same for the ABS sensor on the passenger side.

Front-brake-ABS-sensor-cable-MQB-reduced.thumb.jpg.fe89ceb3be5645ff672e95e9768f1f6a.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

You are missing a few inches of cable besides one rubber grommet & the end connector. I have done a photo montage, using shots from my Golf (MQB) & yes its the drivers side which also has the brake pad wear sensor, BUT the wiring positioning is the same for the ABS sensor on the passenger side.

Front-brake-ABS-sensor-cable-MQB-reduced.thumb.jpg.fe89ceb3be5645ff672e95e9768f1f6a.jpg

Thank you. I know that those cables should be in that position but the mechanics put them back like that after they changed the shock absorbers. I went back to them and, they are changing the cables free of charge as it was their fault.

Edited by decebal
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, decebal said:

Thank you. I know that those cables should be in that position but the mechanics put them back like that after they changed the shock absorbers. I went back to them and, they are changing the cables free of charge as it was their fault.

I should bloody well hope so!!!!...I bet the muppet unhitched the damper from the knuckle/hub & allowed the hub/knuckle to drop down & still had the cables connected...thus ripping the wire out of the connector...

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

I should bloody well hope so!!!!...I bet the muppet unhitched the damper from the knuckle/hub & allowed the hub/knuckle to drop down & still had the cables connected...thus ripping the wire out of the connector...

I know they shortenned the cable but at least they should repair the defect. Also, I got another problem which they said that it is not their fault. I have a warning light about the oil sensor workshop. I have to call the dealer to see what is about as they couldn`t find the code fault.

Edited by decebal
  • Like 1

Its never a good idea to use a pressure washer in the vicinity of electrical connectors but these are (normally) well sealed and in this instance its very good that you did, otherwise the bodge may not have come to light for a long time, maybe even when you needed the ABS for an emergency stop in wet weather.

Another issue came up is that when I tried to press the gas pedal to the bottom my car chocked and almost stopped. It never did that.What can be the cause?

Can this be the reason for the engine warning came off?

I
5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

That's usually low oil level. Check on the dipstick, but I think you'll find the oil level is down around the bottom mark.

Apparently they checked and said that the oil level was alright. Personally, I did not check but I think I should.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/11/2021 at 13:14, KenONeill said:

That's usually low oil level. Check on the dipstick, but I think you'll find the oil level is down around the bottom mark.

Actually was too much oil.

Edited by decebal