Paint code for Velvet Red please?

mk_83

Hi All, 

Sadly, I've had a scuff on my rear wheel arch/bumper. Does anyone know the paint code for Velvet Red? Reading these forums it would seem the code is no longer on a sticker anywhere in the car or in the handbook. 

1483327383_Screenshot2021-11-17at17_24_13.thumb.png.4d40b4989dd850389cbdc9d3ce03bf0b.png

16 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Just take it to ChipsAway or similar... I've tried touching up car paint in the past and it's just not worth the time or effort.

Oh yes, I’m definitely not going to attempt anything myself, not on such a new and otherwise pristine vehicle. I like to have the paint code to give to the body shop if I ever have bodywork done. It can speed things up and make an estimate more accurate. 

Well, a touch up pen would certainly be useful, for future. This particular instance needs more than touch up for it not to be noticeable. 

BA93AA47-5410-4B4A-83D8-50F550BAB540.jpeg

Edited by mk_83
  • Crying 1

Needs a bit of tin work as well, as far as i can see.

Every decent paint shop will pick the right tone up.

I have had some issues too, I usually use local dealer. Paintwork always matching the original.

3 hours ago, mk_83 said:

I like to have the paint code to give to the body shop if I ever have bodywork done. It can speed things up and make an estimate more accurate. 

Just take them some eggs to suck instead.

The only way the paint code could affect an estimate is if it is a metallic & only Ray & Stevies Motown Resprays could fail to recognise it.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why a lack of paintcode would delay an estimate? And to be honest any paintshop who takes a paintcode from someone written on the back of a fag packet needs shot.

And I'm not sure what this "I use local dealer" business is all about - are we talking about the local Skoda dealer?  Dealerships don't paint cars, they put them out to the same 3rd party repair shops that everyone uses, the only difference being the dealership will add a % on to the bill for doing so.

Professional paint shops won't need a colour code as they make the colour themselves. Think about it, if you take two extremes, the colour of a 1 month old Velvet Red car will be very different to the colour of a well weathered 15yr old Velvet Red car, but a professional paintshop will match each colour exactly. These days a special camera will take an image of the paint and the computer will select the correct amount of colour to mix. The pigment they used at the factory may well be different from the pigment they use at the bodyshop so it's never going to be an exact match. Skilled professionals will get as near as damned to that colour using little more than their eye, what marks out a highly skilled professional is their ability to blend the new colour to the colour already on the car.

My father was a bodyshop painter for 37years and it's quite incredible what they can see with the naked eye. No need for paint depth measurement tools or anything like that when looking for accident damage, he can tell straight away where a car has been re-painted.

Ps - As for touch-up paints...  wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. It's impossible for the colour to be an exact match, more than often it's nowhere near the same colour. Only advantage of a touch-up is to prevent the metal rusting.

And as for companies like Chipsaway - it really comes down to the skill of the person, some good reviews, some awful reviews, but honestly...  they paint the car in the open air with dust particles and everything else to contaminate the work? If folk are happy with it then great - it's a quick solution, but come on - it's a bit tacky compared to having the work done in a proper paintshop.      

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

And as for companies like Chipsaway - it really comes down to the skill of the person, some good reviews, some awful reviews, but honestly...  they paint the car in the open air with dust particles and everything else to contaminate the work? If folk are happy with it then great - it's a quick solution, but come on - it's a bit tacky compared to having the work done in a proper paintshop.

They're all franchises - so yes, completely depends on where/who. The one local to me is very good, in my opinion.

As for a 'proper paintshop' - for larger repairs, maybe... but for small scratches and chips, that's going to be a very expensive way of sorting it out.

• Confused 1

A 'Proper Paint shop  or car body repair shop can be one man or woman and a dog, or 2 dogs.

No point generalising as to what a 'Proper trained and qualified professional person' might charge to do small or large jobs. 

Location location location can be anyplace.  A 10 minute call in to ask a price is always worth doing.   Especially if it is not an 'Insurance job'. 

I had a rear bumper damage on my Mondeo once. Went to paint shop, told them only make, model, year and "beige". They had all the databases in their computers, mixed exatly the matching paint.

And that was 18 years ago already.

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

A 'Proper Paint shop  or car body repair shop can be one man or woman and a dog, or 2 dogs

If they're anything like my dog, I wouldn't want the hair stuck in with the paint 🤦‍♂️.

Anyway, my comment was based on 'proper paint shop' being somewhere with a dust-free environment, given the context in the post I replied to. Using a facility like that would be considerably more expensive, I don't think that can be argued against.

• Haha 1

It would appear that you care about your car, so stay well away from touch up paints. As said, they're okay for keeping rust at bay, but it will look like your 3 year old did it.

Chips away and similar companies can be hit and miss, depending on who's driving their van on any given day.

Take the car to a reputable and well respected body shop and don't insult them them by trying to do their job for them. As said above, they'll have all the equipment in place to match the colour and do a good job.

• Like 1

@Yogi-Bearbeing a former industrial and car sprayer and estimater over lots of years and at all sorts of businesses I will say you are talking nonsense.  Some of the worst jobs I have ever seen are done at places with all the gear and no idea.  VW Approved repairers included in that.  Some really crap work is done by 'Kerbside motors / man in a van' on dealerships forecourts and so is some of the best work. 

Edited by roottoot

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

I will say you are talking nonsense

Nothing new there.

7 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Some of the worst jobs I have ever seen are done at places with all the gear and no idea.  VW Approved repairers included in that.  Some really crap work is done by 'Kerbside motors / man in a van' on dealerships forecourts and so is some of the best work.

I wouldn't disagree with you. But then I didn't actually say anything about the quality of the work undertaken - just that the cost of using someone with a dust-free facility would be more than using someone like ChipsAway. I note that you didn't actually disagree with that point... you simply made your own about quality of work. Not sure why that means I'm talking nonsense, however.

@Yogi-Bear this dust free stuff and about proper places being expensive.   What can be expensive is Insurance work.   There are plenty proper places and painters that want work in to keep them or other staff busy.   Getting a price locally at trusted places or people is Simply Clever.   Generalising helps nobody. 

21 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Yogi-Bearbeing a former industrial and car sprayer and estimater over lots of years and at all sorts of businesses I will say you are talking nonsense.  Some of the worst jobs I have ever seen are done at places with all the gear and no idea.  VW Approved repairers included in that.  Some really crap work is done by 'Kerbside motors / man in a van' on dealerships forecourts and so is some of the best work. 

So Mr roottoot, for the advisement of the OP and the wider community here that may in the future require paint and body damage repair, instead of shooting down all and sundry for their opinions  and telling us that most anywhere is capable of doing a bad job - based on your many years of experience in the trade, could you please tell us how we should go about getting a good job done rather than about all the places that might do a bad job ? It would be very helpful if you could.

• Haha 1

Simples really.  Friends, family, social media recommendations from forums like Briskoda where there might be members in your area, so that type of thing.  Give people reading posts an idea were you are. Asking a driver at a taxi rank can be useful sometimes.  Or ask a local postie, police person etc.  So just as many do for tradespeople.  

18 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Simples really.  Friends, family, social media recommendations from forums like Briskoda where there might be members in your area, so that type of thing.  Give people reading posts an idea were you are. Asking a driver at a taxi rank can be useful sometimes.  Or ask a local postie, police person etc.  So just as many do for tradespeople.  

My thoughts exactly and it's always good if you can see the work of the person being recommended before committing to them.

Someone decided to relieve my Kodiaq of a small amount of bumper paint 2 weeks after I'd bought it. Based on a job I'd seen he'd done on my neighbours car, I took it to a guy who was 3 mins from my house, who I didn't know existed. He inspected it, gave me a quote the next day and arranged a day for the job to be done. He had the car overnight, did the spray job and also replaced a cracked reflector and you'd never have known the car had been touched. He was just a small one man band, but had been in the trade for years and has now sadly passed away.

• Like 1

My local paint shop (not body shop) gave me a tub of touch up paint - for me to play with some very small bonnet chips - with Code LF3P on the label.

I've no idea if that's a Skoda code.

ps - my favourite local body shop made a 100% repair to a minor bumper on the rear of my previous Quartz Grey Kodiaq.  Was very minor, but the whole rear bumper panel was removed and painted. I certainly did not advise on paint code.  They similarly fixed a very minor mark on our blue Polo.

Edited by BoxerBoy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the responses guys, it’s been emotional. 

When it goes in for us next service at the main dealer, I’ll get a price from them. I expect it will be more than going direct to a body shop, but I value the service I get from them (and a decent courtesy car).