Flobac's 2006 Fabia 1.2 HTP

Flobac

This is my first car, a 2006 Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP with BME engine.

Bought it for only 1500€, which I think is a very good value for what I got.

It had 96 000km on the clock, a broken passenger power window, and some little things to repair here and there.

I have had it for a year and a half and have already made quite a few modifications to it. I'll try to remember everything to document it on this post.

What I already done to the car :

- Install a bluetooth headunit (Pioneer MVH-S420BT), replaced front speakers (JBL Stage2 624) and installed rear ones ad the wiring was just not there (JBL Stage2 424). 

- Repair the broken passenger power window. It took a lot longer than it should, I stripped everything down and it turns out it was a missing CANBUS pin in the A-pillar connector (from body to door).

- Buy and refurbish original VRS alloys. (I took a lot of picture so I'll need to find a way to share this with you)

- Change Dashboard and buttons LEDs from green to cool white. (I have a few photos and videos of the process that I'll share later as it's still work in progress)

and more small repairs or upgrades...

And here's a list of thing I want to do, or think of doing later :

- Install a rear anti-roll bar, lowered springs and shocks to go with it.

- Polish the whole car and put ceramic coating on it after doing some paint touch-up following ChrisFix video. The paint has some defects such as deep scratches and rock chips.

- Get the windshield replaced (or repaired, if possible) because a small rock decided to land on it while I was driving.

- Retrofit front anti-fog lights and electric wing mirrors.

IMG_2131.thumb.jpg.f2f4c826aaa85cb7eca5f8f33892f177.jpgIMG_2133-min.thumb.jpg.2358d8c4a18d781be57d2bb055ef2827.jpg

Edited by Flobac
Title change & added details
  • Like 1

• Flobac changed the title to Flobac's 2006 Fabia 1.2 HTP

Solid choice with a BME engine IMO, at least for a first car. It's a good looking car in that 'slate' colour I reckon it wouldn't be too difficult to wire in some fog-lights depending on how you did it. I don't know about the electric mirrors (probably need VAG-COM/VCDS) along with an upgraded convenience module.

I wish you all the best with your car and I cannot wait to see what you do next! :)

• Like 1

Yes honestly I can't complain about this engine, it is not very powerful but sufficient for a first car as you say. I have not yet encountered a problem with this engine.

For the fog lights I found an OEM style wiring diagram to retrofit them. I will have to take the time to check for myself how this can be done on the Fabia. It doesn't look very hard to do.

For the electric mirrors, I know I will need different power window modules, obviously the mirrors, the switch and probably VCDS (I have OBDEleven, not sure if I can do that with).

But that's not important at the moment because it would only be for added comfort.

Thank you, I'll post very soon the pictures I took of the alloys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flobac said:

Yes honestly I can't complain about this engine, it is not very powerful but sufficient for a first car as you say. I have not yet encountered a problem with this engine.

I live in a valley, so I feel your pain. It pulls well on flat ground for a 1.2 however.

Glad that you have a plan lined up for the various retrofits. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flobac said:

- Get the windshield replaced (or repaired, if possible) because a small rock decided to land on it while I was driving.

I don't know what it's like for your Insurance in France, but mine was a £75 excess payment for a new windscreen when I bit of wood hit mine and cracked the screen. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I live in a valley, so I feel your pain. It pulls well on flat ground for a 1.2 however.

It's pretty much flat where I live so most of the time it's actually fine :D

2 hours ago, Wino said:

I don't think you will need different window motor modules. Only on earlier cars does the electric mirror wiring go via them. On a 2006 car it goes direct, I believe.

Ok so I'll have to do some more research then. I know there is a module with 3 connectors and one of them for mirrors, which has a brown / yellowish square connector I believe. But I also saw that there is a version of the mirror with a flat black connector.

What I don't know is which one I need. It would make my life a lot easier if I don't have to change the window modules. But then I guess I'll need some new wiring for the mirrors? I am interested to know if you have more information on this.

8 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I don't know what it's like for your Insurance in France, but mine was a £75 excess payment for a new windscreen when I bit of wood hit mine and cracked the screen. :)

I believe that I will not have to pay anything, my insurance covers completely the costs in the event of repair, and for a replacement, the franchise is supported by the company which takes care of the replacement of the windshield.

But I may be wrong, I'll let you know when I'll do it.

Edited by Flobac
  • Like 1

Just now, Flobac said:

It's pretty much flat where I live so most of the time it's actually fine :D

You can go into 5th gear on flat ground from just above 25mph I've found.

1 minute ago, Flobac said:

I believe that I will not have to pay anything, my insurance covers completely the costs in the event of repair, and for a replacement, the deductible is supported by the company which takes care of the replacement of the windshield.

But I may be wrong, I'll let you know when I'll do it.

I wish it was the same over here! A new windscreen can change how old a car feels IMO. Made mine look like new even though it's done 56,000 miles and had a pretty hellish life. :)

Be sure to keep us in the loop when you delve further into your project. Briskoda isn't good for the wallet, just a warning in advance. :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I wish it was the same over here! A new windscreen can change how old a car feels IMO. Made mine look like new even though it's done 56,000 miles and had a pretty hellish life. :)

Be sure to keep us in the loop when you delve further into your project. Briskoda isn't good for the wallet, just a warning in advance. :D

Flat ground is great for fuel economy, I managed to get 6.5L/100km in town when driving slowly.

I saw your Fabia with the new windscreen, it looks really good ! :)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I would advise against this, generally.

Oil pressure is proportional to rpm up to a point, and low oil pressure in the crank lubrication area whilst requiring significant engine torque is a recipe for faster wear.

Fourth gear up to at least 30mph, maybe even 35 is much kinder to the engine mechanicals.  

Keeping revs higher, especially in winter, also gives the alternator an easier task generating the necessary current to recharge the battery after cold start, heated rear screen etc.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

I would advise against this, generally.

Oil pressure is proportional to rpm up to a point, and low oil pressure in the crank lubrication area whilst requiring significant engine torque is a recipe for faster wear.

Fourth gear up to at least 30mph, maybe even 35 is much kinder to the engine mechanicals.  

Keeping revs higher, especially in winter, also gives the alternator an easier task generating the necessary current to recharge the battery after cold start, heated rear screen etc.

Thanks Pete, I didn't know that. I typically keep the revs higher since I live in a pretty hilly area anyway so going into 5th until almost 55 is typical for me since it has no power for hills otherwise. :)

8 hours ago, Wino said:

Do you know if your car was made after or before May 2006?

On the data sticker inside the trunk it says 17-5-2059. I don't know if it could help you know the date of manufacture.

Pickup date from dealership is 24-5-2006.

Edited by Flobac

I was afraid that's what you'd find. So none of the necessary wiring inside the car is going to be present, in the main part of the cabin, at the a-pillar connectors nor in the door looms.

Hard to be balanced in my opinion as I haven't tried 'Fabia life' without them, but are you really sure you need this? 

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Just now, Wino said:

Heated and electrically movable, yes.

I've got them as well. Having been present for the ownership of a Grande Punto without said things (you could adjust them electrically, but had no heating element), I don't believe it is essential for a car. It is a nice luxury and it gives me bragging rights over a good mate of mine. :D

Fitting these is just a matter of how far you're willing to go with your car, as just about anything is possible if you want to put the blood, sweat and tears into it. :)

Yes that's also what I thought, I think that none of the wiring is there if the option wasn't there from the factory.

I don't necessarily need them, but they would have been useful for the winter. 

It was just an idea of something I could add if it's not too complicated or expensive to do.

If you have the wiring diagram for the mirror, I would like to get it if you don't mind @Wino.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flobac said:

I think that none of the wiring is there if the option wasn't there from the factory.

Very typical with most VAG cars, so there's typically a lot of wiring required.

2 minutes ago, Flobac said:

It was just an idea of something I could add if it's not too complicated or expensive to do.

If you've got access to a Fabia for breaking with the same wiring then I reckon the job would be easier. :)

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Very typical with most VAG cars, so there's typically a lot of wiring required.

Unfortunately yes, it was the same story for my rear speakers, I had to use my own wiring from the head unit to the rear deck.

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

If you've got access to a Fabia for breaking with the same wiring then I reckon the job would be easier. :)

My mom just bought a 2012 MK2 Fabia, and it has the electric mirrors. But I don't know if they use the same wiring as in the MK1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flobac said:

My mom just bought a 2012 MK2 Fabia, and it has the electric mirrors. But I don't know if they use the same wiring as in the MK1.

I doubt it and I don't think she'd like you stealing the wiring... :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I doubt it and I don't think she'd like you stealing the wiring... :D

Ahah, yes I think she wouldn't be too happy if I stole the wiring from her new car.
But if it was the same wiring, I could replicate it in my car.

• Like 1