Replace 240mm EFB Battery with a 278mm long AGM Battery?

Just wondering if anyone has replaced a 240mm long EFB battery with a longer 278mm battery?

There's an extra bolt hole in the base of the battery holder that looks to be in the right place and I need to go back outside and double check that the leads would be long enough, but any other gotchas?  I have a Carista OBD2 adapter on the way to re-code the new battery in via the app.

My 2016 Octavia 1.4 TSI came with a Banner EFB battery and pretty much each time I start the car all the on-board stats (apart from main ODO) are zero'd including the time.  No surprise as I've not done much motoring in the last 2 years and am now home based.  The recent cold snap has made this a common occurrence and I don't want to get stranded anywhere over the winter if I can help it!.

Thinking of replacing the current battery with: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/

As an aside and not wishing to hijack your post. If you do some research on the internet there are some views on the subject of EFB or AGM suggesting that for many users an EFB is at least equal to an AGM and cheaper. I am no expert and it does not seem clear to me but nevertheless interesting . 

All info in the first post here in this guide I wrote a few years ago..Its the same for MQB platform as your car ..

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

All info in the first post here in this guide I wrote a few years ago..Its the same for MQB platform as your car ..

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Many thanks, will read that now...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sarkyscouser said:

Just wondering if anyone has replaced a 240mm long EFB battery with a longer 278mm battery?

There's an extra bolt hole in the base of the battery holder that looks to be in the right place and I need to go back outside and double check that the leads would be long enough, but any other gotchas?  I have a Carista OBD2 adapter on the way to re-code the new battery in via the app.

My 2016 Octavia 1.4 TSI came with a Banner EFB battery and pretty much each time I start the car all the on-board stats (apart from main ODO) are zero'd including the time.  No surprise as I've not done much motoring in the last 2 years and am now home based.  The recent cold snap has made this a common occurrence and I don't want to get stranded anywhere over the winter if I can help it!.

Thinking of replacing the current battery with: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/

A great choice , I did a similar upgrade but with an Exide AGM battery. The  096 size AGM battery has great reserves of power despite my car standing for many days at a time . The original smaller EFB battery was not very forgiving. The original battery sleeve (insulation) didn't fit but I had a spare of the correct size from an old car which I used. The battery leads reached the terminals without any problems.

Edited by GUM213K
Additional

7 minutes ago, GUM213K said:

A great choice , I did a similar upgrade but with an Exide AGM battery. The  096 size AGM battery has great reserves of power despite my car standing for many days at a time . The original smaller EFB battery was not very forgiving.

Thanks, how did you deal with the insulation/heat shield surrounding the battery? Obviously won’t be big enough for new battery and can’t seem to find replacements to buy.

Might have to cut mine and just make sure that side of new battery facing the engine is at least covered.

I had an 096 battery sized sleeve in stock from a previous car and was able to use that. I agree the sleeves are difficult to source. I'm not convinced they are very important in our climate here in the UK though?

12 minutes ago, sarkyscouser said:

Thanks, how did you deal with the insulation/heat shield surrounding the battery? Obviously won’t be big enough for new battery and can’t seem to find replacements to buy.

Might have to cut mine and just make sure that side of new battery facing the engine is at least covered.

Again all info in my post...the OEM black "felt" heat shield cover in the 096 case size is 5Q0 915 411H

On my Yeti I used an Octavia MK2 type hard plastic battery cover and lid (they are common across all the vehicles on the platform) I got it new dirt cheap from Ali-Express, the existing battery tray had all the clips and lugs in the right place for it to fit correctly, it seems they simply ditched the proper cover for a cheaper felt one without creating a new battery tray, and why would they?

I much prefer the look, it matches the rest of the underbonnet rather than loking like something made from papier maché in a pre-school playgroup, I believe that it insulates better and I will feel secure from an electrical fire the next time an elephant sits on my bonnet!

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

On my Yeti I used an Octavia MK2 type hard plastic battery cover and lid (they are common across all the vehicles on the platform) I got it new dirt cheap from Ali-Express, the existing battery tray had all the clips and lugs in the right place for it to fit correctly, it seems they simply ditched the proper cover for a cheaper felt one without creating a new battery tray, and why would they?

I much prefer the look, it matches the rest of the underbonnet rather than loking like something made from papier maché in a pre-school playgroup, I believe that it insulates better and I will feel secure from an electrical fire the next time an elephant sits on my bonnet!

Yeti & Mk2 Octavia are the same platform..Mk3 Octavia is different as MQB..

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sarkyscouser said:

yes thanks but hard to find in UK and for a reasonable price.

I bought mine from my local VW dealer parts dept..

The last letter "H" may be different as since I bought mine there might have been a revision.

Just to round off this thread in case it helps anyone else in the future.

Changed the battery at lunchtime (this battery: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/) together with one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224710201249  I had to cut the bottom off the new battery bag otherwise the new battery wouldn't slide back fully, I possibly could have gotten away with just cutting off the back corners but it was starting to rain and my back wouldn't take too many more tries.  New cover is still way better than the thin bit of material that Skoda fits OEM.

I recoded the battery with the caristapp and OBD2 dongle but was surprised after turning on initiation for first time that loads of fault codes came up such as ABS, ECS, TPS, power steering....  Quick drive around the block sorted those out - PHEW!

Old EFB will be going to local recycling centre tomorrow after 1 or 2 more trips out to be sure.

Took 30-45 min in total after making sure I had all tools out ready the night before.

• Like 1