Ownership review - problems in 3 years of ownership

McGyles

Hello,

I have opened this topic to describe my long term ownership experience with KODIAQ and to entice other bear owners to do the same to assist potential buyers.

I have a 2018 Škoda KODIAQ 2.0 TDI 190 PS DSG 4x4 Style version; currently 95.000 km on the clock:

- the car came with squeaky door handles with noticible gap between the door handle and the door panel from new; reported it to the dealer; had it changed 3 times during warranty, some improvement on the gap the noise hovever is still present (common problem; tried contacting Škoda customer support directly - no response)

- after 2 years of ownership the door locking mechanism on the drivers side door had to be replaced because it stopped working -> covered by warranty

- at the 60.000 km service the dealer noticed corrosion on the rear brake callipers (not wear!) and they had to be replaced -> not covered by warranty

- after 3 years of ownership the relay of the glow-plug for the ignition pre-heat had to be replaced (dealer spotted the problem during a routine 90.000 km service) -> covered by warranty

- now at 95.000 km I have a gearbox mechatronics unit fault - waitting for a replacement part (DSG oil change was performed as scheduled; all services performed at the Škoda dealer every 15.000 km) -> covered by warranty

My long term fuel economy is 7.0L/100km and can range from 5,8L/100km on country roads to 8,7L/100km on highway with aggressive driving at 180km/h.

I am satisfied with the LED lights, the 4X4 HALDEX unit and the car comfort in general, what I did not  expect was so many problems, which makes me wonder what comes next....

Edited by McGyles
Added 190 PS

In 3.5 years of owning a 1.4TSI 150 DSG Edition, I loved it and didn't have any significant problems at all. I did about 30,000 miles in it, and it probably averaged 40mpg or thereabouts, which isn't bad considering most of the journeys were short ones. It would easily do >50mpg on long motorway runs at 65mph.

I'd buy another one. Oh, wait... I did 😁.

Squeaky door grab handles here too, the issue seemed to be more widespread on early Kodiaq's (mine's a 2018). The top part of the grab handle has a tendency to detach from the door card too, I've seen quite a few examples of that over the years. I think Skoda eventually improved the design although it's still one of my biggest bug bears.

The ignition engine on/off button on the steering column became intermittent on mine, but this seemingly affects most other Skoda models too.

The drivers door electric window switch panel developed a fault whereby it wouldn't allow me to lower the windows until a minute or two of the engine being started. The dealer said it was a known fault and the switch had been improved (an extra electrical contact, or something of that nature). All fine since.

The retractable load cover in the boot is painfully slow to retract, especially at this time of year.

The inner light clusters on the tailgate aren't sealed properly and trap insects.

A sticky factory fitted towbar (wouldn't release when pulling the button) was cured by the dealer, again they mentioned a known issue and applied some 'special order' grease.

Nearly 4 years old and 30,000 miles and still on the original brakes and tyres (although the Hankook's are starting to crack).

Other than that, all good.

i will chip in, almost 4 years old, 30k miles, 1.5 TSI edition 2018 reg

Small stuff

Issue 1: Top dashboard storage compartment lid gets stuck
Issue 2: Seat Belt (front passenger) not retracting, intermittent issue
Issue 3: Globe box lid gets stuck sometimes

Big stuff

Issue 4: Central locking
  1. Central locking keeps locking and unlocking by itself.
  2. Key is not detected scenario 1 - key left inside for a minutes and car locks itself
  3. Key is not detected scenario 2 - car is locked, key does not open it, use manual entry and it sets off car alarm despite key opening the car door, 
  4. Comfort access doesn't work sometimes, have to take key out and unlock the car
  5. Ignition does not start - get into car okay, press start button it doesn't start the car, press remote unlock button and they try again and it starts
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great car but I've also had ignition issues fixed and guess what - they've gone again. One key works and the other can't be fixed. In the end dealer replaced the system but it took weeks.

Had an ECU issue also so that was replaced. To be fair we were on holiday and the local dealer in Wales stepped up to help brilliantly.

Also door protectors..... Dealer tried to fix a few times but failed and now the warranty doesn't cover them after 3 years.

Much as I like it, I don't think my wife can bare us getting another Skoda. I also doubt we'd get a VW group car. Had quite a few on loan and can't believe how bad their software is in general.

Its been over 2 weeks since I took my car and I still await from dealer for their only member of staff to return and submit my claims to Skoda UK for warranty authorization.

Based on above faults I listed all they said "we think its locks"

After documenting in detail and video all faults, skoda not willing to confirm if my claims are under warranty, unable to find my extended warranty in system, asking me to provide them warranty terms and conditions, answers from their staff like should, could, I believe so.....

Sadly I would rather get next time another car brand and happy to pay extra premium knowing service will be better.

Great car but I've also had ignition issues fixed and guess what - they've gone again. One key works and the other can't be fixed. In the end dealer replaced the system but it took weeks.

Had an ECU issue also so that was replaced. To be fair we were on holiday and the local dealer in Wales stepped up to help brilliantly.

Also door protectors..... Dealer tried to fix a few times but failed and now the warranty doesn't cover them after 3 years.

Much as I like it, I don't think my wife can bare us getting another Skoda. I also doubt we'd get a VW group car. Had quite a few on loan and can't believe how bad their software is in general.

Another data point: ours is. 2018 190bhp Kodiaq TDI and has not had any issues to date. 3.5 years and 72,000 miles. It’s now on its second set of tyres (I changed a bit early for some all seasons) and second set of brake pads but that doesn’t seem unreasonable for the mileage. We’ve not had any issues with door protectors (one stuck out once when my daughter wedge her bicycle in the door, but it popped back on again), and the panoramic roof has also been fine. 

Fuel economy is still 45mpg on a run. Less on cold short journeys. Much less when you hustle a 2 tonne AWD car with 190bhp - no real surprise. 

I did take the 100k miles/5 year extended warranty for peace of mind, but not needed it yet. 

On 05/02/2022 at 12:40, Jdaw said:

Don't buy a Land Rover then!  

Got mine (Kodiaq vRS) in June 2019, 22k miles since then.

Issues so far - electric drivers seat stuff stopped working, fixed with a software reset.  Also one of the pop out door protectors has pinged off.  Haven't fixed that yet as it looks like you have to take the door card and trim off.  Android Auto is a bit buggy when reading out traffic directions.  Other than that, seems to be good