Questions 'how does an 04 to 06 VRS Model compare'

Folks,

I currently have an August '04 VRs which I have been more than pleased with and had no probelsm at all, am swapping for a new 06 model this coming weekend and a bit worried about the 'stuttering' effect, only reason I am getting a new one is the old has been so fantastic and not a think gone wrong ? So should I be worried and is it all cars affected???

Couple of other points :

1) Is the build quality as good (only lookng around seems to be a fww seat problems - are these only 06 related too ?)

2) Mine currently has conti contactsport2's ... the new one has bridgestones ... how do they compare ? Do they last as long ?

3) Is the 06 model any slower / quicker etc than the 04 model ?

4) Have purchased a Tunit module for the new one ... has anyone had any experiemce of this on a 06 car ? thought it may help with the stuttering people desribe ... anyone know ho easier they are to fit ... and does it need to wire into the battery ?

4) Have purchased a Tunit module for the new one ... has anyone had any experiemce of this on a 06 car ? thought it may help with the stuttering people desribe ... anyone know ho easier they are to fit ... and does it need to wire into the battery ?

Assuming it's the same as the Dragon you need to lift the battery cover which has two clips on the left hand side to give access to the terminals - you don't need to disconnect anything.

They're pretty easy to fit as long as you're happy working on your car - you do need to disconnect a couple of bits to put the box on in between them. Just be sure everything's connected properly and nothing's loose and you'll be fine - apparently not connecting up the power to the box properly can cause errors to be logged so make sure it's tightened up properly.:thumbup:

the transmission should be the same as both years have the shorter gearbox. Performance wise they're the same really, but that module should make the new one a bit faster. ;)

Not sure on the tyres, but the cont's were never that highly rated. :)

I currently have an August '04 VRs which I have been more than pleased with and had no probelsm at all' date=' am swapping for a new 06 model this coming weekend and a bit worried about the 'stuttering' effect, only reason I am getting a new one is the old has been so fantastic and not a think gone wrong ? So should I be worried and is it all cars affected???

Couple of other points :

1) Is the build quality as good (only lookng around seems to be a fww seat problems - are these only 06 related too ?)

[/quote']

If you drive in traffic a lot you are right to be worried about the "stutter". You could get the dealer to agree to a trial period on collection as this is a known problem with all '06 cars - try it and if you don't like it, money back. If you're going to chip it and/or drive flat-out all the time you might be OK.

The seat issue seems to affect a lot of cars. Mine have been in for repair twice, but are still wrinkled. There seems no fix other than leather.

Thanks ... I do drive in traffic a lot stuck on the motorway unfortunately, every day ... but how bad is the 'stutter' and what actually happens ??

Like I said the seats on my 04 model are fine .... so how bad do they look ? any pics ?

If you drive in traffic a lot you are right to be worried about the "stutter". You could get the dealer to agree to a trial period on collection as this is a known problem with all '06 cars - try it and if you don't like it' date=' money back. If you're going to chip it and/or drive flat-out all the time you might be OK.

The seat issue seems to affect a lot of cars. Mine have been in for repair twice, but are still wrinkled. There seems no fix other than leather.[/quote']

I thought you rejected yours kerry?

That last post makes it sound as if you've still got the car.

If you drive in traffic a lot you are right to be worried about the "stutter".

I drive in traffic a hell of alot (sheffield traffic is soo bad) and do not have any issues what so ever, I have 06 model with the dreaded BLT engine code.

It has stuttered twice now and it's no a big issue at all.

its down the the way you drive I think, ome seem to have massive issues and like me it does not affect me.

Kerry: I thought you rejected your car? or do you just like moaning? ;)

Thanks ... I do drive in traffic a lot stuck on the motorway unfortunately' date=' every day ... but how bad is the 'stutter' and what actually happens ??

[/quote']

Take it for a test drive; drive gently in third or fourth gear at about 2000rpm, ease off and re-apply the power - not all the time, but enough to be really annoying, it will hesitate, sometimes quite violently. You will see that not everybody notices it, but the result of the poll on this site shows about two-thirds of respondents have noticed.

I won't comment on the legal issues around my car until it is finally resolved as I don't want to prejudice any court action; but you can guess where it's going.

I drive in traffic a hell of alot (sheffield traffic is soo bad) and do not have any issues what so ever' date=' I have 06 model with the dreaded BLT engine code.

It has stuttered twice now and it's no a big issue at all.

its down the the way you drive I think, ome seem to have massive issues and like me it does not affect me.

Kerry: I thought you rejected your car? or do you just like moaning? ;)[/quote']

Similar situation to yourself. Same engine code, no interference from any stutter. I've gone hunting for it using the directions on this forum but then I've found myself thinking "this is ridiculous". The conditions that I need to recreate in order to experience this 'fault' seem so unnatural to me. I'm either cruising at low revs or accelerating through the affected rev band - i'm never dabbing the throttle at around 2000rpm!

The conditions that I need to recreate in order to experience this 'fault' seem so unnatural to me.

Thats exactly what i've been thinking ever since this fault was posted. I don't own a vRS yet but i've had a new 06 for a day and didn't experience any stutter of any kind.....

I have owned a 04, 05, and now an 06 VRS. Every new VRS I have seen (all un-registered) has wrinkly rear seats, but to differing degrees. It seems to be pot luck as to what you actually get. I too have the occasional engine stutter, but hope it will disappear as the miles rack up. The 1st car had michelins, the 2nd continentals and now this one has bridgestones. I would rate the michelins as the best.

Take it for a test drive; drive gently in third or fourth gear at about 2000rpm, ease off and re-apply the power

Why the hell would anyone do this? it's your mind that has the stutter not the car:rofl: (take with pinch of salt love!)

As for the 2 thirds of people who notice the stutter only 1 is taking legal action and no one else has rejected the car.

I have noticed the stutter a couple of times and added my name to the stutter list but it's not annoying in any way and does not affect driving.

maybe saying your mind has a stutter is a bit harsh but taking skoda uk to court is too.

a bit OTT if you ask me. But then why do I care I am loving my '06 FAB VRS and it is a wonderful to drive. some say "like a dream"!

Why the hell would anyone do this? it's your mind that has the stutter not the car(take with pinch of salt love!)

Are you really saying that you never drive at 30 to 40 MPH in 4th, ease off and then re-accelerate? It seems the most natural driving experience to me when in traffic.

Also, i think you're making too many personal comments - please keep your remarks factual. Let's accept we have opposing views and allow other readers to make up their minds based on the arguments put forward.

I am considering buying an 06 having owned an 04 since new. On test drive the 06 stuttered about 2--3000 rpm in steady traffic. Bounced it straight back asking for this to be rectified before I proceed any further with a deal

Thanks for everyone's comments .. bit worried now though as I have paid my money thinking 'my 04 car is brilliant' and 'the 06 car can only be better' !! Hope this turns out to be the case .... and no engine stutter ! Is there an 06 engine code that doesn't ??

Plus what do the crinkled seats look like ? My 04 car has great seats no problems at all with wrinkling ....

I have to agree with Kerry about how easy and frequent the stutter is to cause. It happens quite often but in my experience is rarely severe. I do a lot of motorway driving and even there it happens - you slow down in 4th, 5th or 6th and just drift with the traffic (there's no choice!) and it happens. I'm not too annoyed with it but I can see how it could get frustrating. The stutter is a "feature" of the BLT engine code cars across the VW group. I believe that BLTs are Tdi 130's tuned for Euro IV emission regulations which became law this year. In theory that means all 06 cars should be affected... It happens to non-Skoda Tdis too.

i think you're making too many personal comments - please keep your remarks factual. Let's accept we have opposing views and allow other readers to make up their minds based on the arguments put forward.

My 06 FAB VRS is fantastic and althugh it may stutter sometimes it does not affect the drive of the car and it doe snot annoy me at all. The car is fantastic and suits me well.

Nice bit of fact above!!:thumbup:

Also another Fact:

Kerry is a bloke!:thumbup:

Also another Fact :

Britain s turning into the sueing capital of Europe Just like america sue's everyone for nothing!:thumbdwn: