Mk111 1 tdi battery swap

I was wondering if I could do a straight swap of the Bosch battery in the image for the original Varta battery without having to have the battery management computer recoded?

IMG_20211226_134936.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-26-13-49-06-252_com.android.chrome.jpg

IMG_20211225_152904.jpg

IMG_20211225_152853.jpg

Edited by Silverbirch
added image

• Silverbirch changed the title to Mk111 1 tdi battery swap

Assuming the battery you have fitted is the one from factory so is coded as such to the car then it will possibly be in as something like -

• Battery manufacturer: JCB
  • Battery capacity: 68
  • Battery serial_number: 1111111111
  • Battery technology: (Fleece?)

I was told the Bosch is a Varta anyway so you coluld leave the JCB code, Bosch is 70 ah rather than 68 ah, the serial number could be changed by one digit to 1111111112 and the technology is the same (AGM) - so it's all pretty close.

Many say the car will learn your battery has improved and sort itself given time so no rush to code or even possibly no need, whether 2 ah more capacity is crucial to the car's battery computer program I don't know.

At your battery changing if you have any lights or codes you could perhaps do the battery "reset" too and personally I always check and if required top up the new battery with a suitable (AGM) charger before fitting it.

I fitted that Bosch S5 A05 to my wife's Fabia Mk3 in June and it was £127.96 including delivery then, I think there might have been a bit of a shortage at the time.

HTH.

Edited by nta16

14 minutes ago, Silverbirch said:

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify did you just put the new battery in without draining the battery as in the video? 

Yes I did as I didn't have warning lights, bells, whistles or dash orders to take the car to the dealers and do mot pass Go or collect $200.

I don't think I even knew about coding the battery(!) when I ordered it or about the over-complicated, invasive and intertwined VW vehicle computer programs then but you probably do having a diesel.

I did have the battery coded by a local member on here.

For editing posts there's a time limit unless you join Freedom which also gets rid of all the advert after you login.

Edited by nta16