Projector headlamps weak.

40 minutes ago, Gareth111278 said:

Just to finally put this one to bed.

I’ve fitted a pair of LED bulbs to reduce heat & current draw.

the headlamps are brilliant now.

my friend is a MOT tester he’s had a look at the beam pattern (on the beam checker) & can’t find anything wrong. 

I'm glad you're happy, all's well that ends well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2022 at 01:32, Gareth111278 said:

Just to finally put this one to bed.

I’ve fitted a pair of LED bulbs to reduce heat & current draw.

the headlamps are brilliant now.

my friend is a MOT tester he’s had a look at the beam pattern (on the beam checker) & can’t find anything wrong. 

I'm curious, which LED bulbs did you go with?

Hi

i used these.

expensive but good so far

NOVSIGHT H4 LED Headlight Bulbs Hi/Lo Beam 55W/Pair 10000LM 6000K Car Replacement Lights of Halogen and Xenon Kit 2 Lamps https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S178H9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_CZ1BESV024BB0CAVK1FY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No, I’ve swapped the headlights for H4 non projectors as fitted to base versions of the car.

the only thing I’m not sure about is the dip & main beam now come on together when on main beam. Some people say that’s supposed to happen, I always thought that the H4 bulb was designed to have one or the other lit. 

Yes, I found the main beam fuses blew fist time, was it you that said to update it? 
once I fitted a 10 amp they worked fine.

ordered the LEDs in case the H4 wasn’t supposed to run both filaments at once & melted the light unit 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I installed LED's in the standard reflector headlights, i been trough two periodicals without problems.

Properly built LED's are brilliant=)

Here link to the comparison i did when i installed them:

2 hours ago, Truls84 said:

I installed LED's in the standard reflector headlights, i been trough two periodicals without problems.

Properly built LED's are brilliant=)

Here link to the comparison i did when i installed them:

That’s all extremely interesting 

thank you 

I assume your cat had reflector headlights from the factory ?

can I ask, when you switch the main beam on does the green dipped beam warning light remain on or go off?

mine stays on. 

Reflectors are factory, and the dip beam light goes off when i engage high beams.

I also seen a few of the Mercedes forum ppl do a rebuild and instal some highly acclaimed projector in their headlight, does require cutting and glue tho.

8 hours ago, Truls84 said:

Reflectors are factory, and the dip beam light goes off when i engage high beams.

I also seen a few of the Mercedes forum ppl do a rebuild and instal some highly acclaimed projector in their headlight, does require cutting and glue tho.

Thanks for that, I’m sure when I use main beam I also have the dip beam side of the H4 lit , that’s why I went for the LED , I was worried that with a standard H4 halogen they would get too hot