2013 Rapid TSI 1.2's Timing Chain

niant

Hi all!

Recently I had an issue with my Rapid's front right window elevator button. I brought the car to the oficial dealer in Portugal and took the opportunity to ask for a general check-up.

In the end, they told me the timing chain had to be replaced plus all the related parts. I found it a bit strange, since the car does not even have 90K Km. They presented me a rough budget of around 1200€ (1011 GBP), labour + parts (also including other non-related things such as new battery and wiper blades).

What do you think about this? Is the timing chain a part that needs maintenance or substitution after a certain milage? The car seems to be driving and working normally as always, specially weird sounds or anything.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

Happy Holidays and New Year 2022,

Francisco.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a quote to replace the camshaft belt on my Seat Toledo which is similar to the Skoda Rapid

The belt should be replaced at 5 years irrespective of mileage.

Quote labour £207. Parts £93.82. Vat £60.16.    TOTAL  £360.98

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2022 at 13:04, ian-inhome said:

I have received a quote to replace the camshaft belt on my Seat Toledo which is similar to the Skoda Rapid

The belt should be replaced at 5 years irrespective of mileage.

Quote labour £207. Parts £93.82. Vat £60.16.    TOTAL  £360.98

Thank you for your reply. Well, £360.98 wouldn't be that bad for me (around 433€). I haven't been in Portugal and will not be there for a few weeks, so only my parents are driving it now. We use it mostly for urban driving. The car does not make long trips. So, I have decided to wait a little bit and see what happens 😕 or better, what does not hopefully happen! In any case, I asked my parents to be on alert for any strange noises and whatnot. I will ask for a second opinion from another mechanic when I return next April.

On 05/01/2022 at 14:33, johnh510 said:

2013 is chain driven camshaft, 2015 on is belt driven

Look at this (and other threads in this forum) for more information about chains.

Many thanks for this. In the meanwhile, I have been out of Portugal, and thus my reply delay. I will check a second opinion with another mechanic. Last time I drove it, it just seemed fine (I can't hear abnormal noises), but again, I am no expert on this. I am checking that thread!

8 hours ago, niant said:

Many thanks for this. In the meanwhile, I have been out of Portugal, and thus my reply delay. I will check a second opinion with another mechanic. Last time I drove it, it just seemed fine (I can't hear abnormal noises), but again, I am no expert on this. I am checking that thread!

I believe you should hear some slapping on a cold start if it's the normal tensioner issue with the 1.2's.

If the word "would" were substituted for "should" in your posting I don't think Xman would (should😆) have commented.

• Like 1