Vrs rear door panel removal advice please

Hi back for a second time with a mk1 vrs after previous ownership in 2017. 

Problem is once torx screws out and electric window which removed and another screw removed behind handle I'm struggling to see how the grab handle comes off so I can lift the door card up and off? Please help. 

youllneed a fairly long screw driver to get those 2 grab handle screws out too, pretty deep holes to them.

i didnt have any long ones in my kit doing my lock mech replacement a few yrs back, i think i had 3 screwhead holders connected together in to get them

I'm in thanks for your advice. Next issue and the reason for wanting to be in. The door only sometimes locks/unlocks. But nothing obvious. What could be the problem? I can get it to work by pulling on the release cable then lock and unlock and it works. Could the cable have stretched? 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, siddleg12 said:

I'm in thanks for your advice. Next issue and the reason for wanting to be in. The door only sometimes locks/unlocks. But nothing obvious. What could be the problem? I can get it to work by pulling on the release cable then lock and unlock and it works. Could the cable have stretched? 

In case the door deadlocks.

As for not unlocking, it could be either; the module, the wiring loom or a combination of both. Water can easily get into the connector blocks and corrode wires. Don't just visually inspect it, take off the outer layer of TESA TAPE and inspect it all, including the block.

For once, I wouldn't bother with OEM replacements, they're very, very expensive. You can pick up excellent after market modules for around £17 each.

Example of mine failing/fixing

And an issue that you wouldn't see unless you looked into the block...

Edited by DeanVRS20VT

Right I've checked the loom and connector blocks inside the door and no corrosion on any pins. The door will lock and unlock around 3 times on the fob before it stops. Then I move the release mechanism back and forth then it works again. Is there a micro switch in the lock which is failing? I tried to remove the door lock but even with lock fixings removed I couldn't get it out ! 

i presume you removed everything that holds it in? the entire mechanism is one piece. yes theres a microswitch in there, but it may also be the dead bolt is sticking. when its doesnt work, does it sound like its getting power and spinning the motor, or is it just dead?

If you're locking mechanism is getting temperamental just replace it before it completely dies. Trying to open a deadlocked door without damaging stuff is doable but a royal pain in the winkle.

The mechanism also has a small piece of wire with a plastic nipple on the end which connects to the outside handle. To disconnect it you need to remove the end cap at the back end of the handle. To do that, there is a torx head grub screw accessed via a small gromet covered hole on the back end of the door. Once that is loosened, the cap can be prised outwards.

• Groan 1

if its getting power but not moving thats the deadlock shooting bolt on the way to toward failure, get on ebay and a get a replacement ordered up asap. no point taking it apart as its just wear internally. as niceyellow says, its held in from basically 3 sides. read through Deans link above for it and its not all there, search either Bowders1 or RobClubleys guides on door lock stripping. 

i had to do mine with the door deadlocked. if it happens, ask what to do... its doable but slow. no need to wreck or break anything!

• Administrators
On 03/01/2022 at 18:29, siddleg12 said:

Spot on fellas I'll have a look this weekend. It's like anything once you've done it once it's easy. I've already ordered a new lock/module for £20 with 5yr warranty so not bad. 

Take loads of pictures!

Always worth making a project thread too, then we can keep up with your progress and it can also help others?
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/207-octavia-projects/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I would do a how too but I still haven't fixed it lol. 

Fitted the new lock/module shut the door opened it all good.

Locked it then unlocked it but door won't open from inside or out ha ha. 

Anyone else had this issue? Could the new part be defective? 

8 hours ago, siddleg12 said:

Hi I would do a how too but I still haven't fixed it lol. 

Fitted the new lock/module shut the door opened it all good.

Locked it then unlocked it but door won't open from inside or out ha ha. 

Anyone else had this issue? Could the new part be defective? 

did you count how many exposed threads were on the outer door pull cable "bolt" on the old one? nearly every time someone does this they get that step wrong (me included) and it will work twice and then stop again... too much slack or too tight and it will stop the mechanism from operating properly. 

15 hours ago, mac11irl said:

did you count how many exposed threads were on the outer door pull cable "bolt" on the old one? nearly every time someone does this they get that step wrong (me included) and it will work twice and then stop again... too much slack or too tight and it will stop the mechanism from operating properly. 

That was exactly it I simply slotted it back in far to slack and it stopped open. So I released it pulled the cable and the door unlatched. It's now clipped in almost all the way and door works perfectly. See pic below. 20220123_113129.thumb.jpg.6fc2395f7cb5deb94ecd98991efa18ae.jpg

• Like 1

A big thanks to everyone who has guided me through this I couldn't of done it without your help. 

I'll try next weekend to put together an idiot's guide with step by step pics including that easily overlooked last bit 😅

• 3 weeks later...