HELP! advice needed - new car delivery date.

Hi all

Could do with some advice.. got a new Skoda Superb on order since September last year - stipulated to the dealer I need it for end of March as existing lease running out.

I checked up with the dealer just after new year and they told me build date will PROBABLY be mid April so could be May even June for delivery.

I went shopping around and found a Pre-Reg 21 plate almost the same (bit less spec - missing travel assist and park assist really and no rear wiper).

The deal is more expensive but within budget and available NOW.

I cancelled the order with the Skoda dealer - they immedately came back with "oh we have checked and your car will be built in week 10 - delivery end of March / Early April".

Which is do-able for me.

BUT I am cynical (life has taught me to be that way lol) - what I don't want is that I cancel this order for the Pre reg car and then get told that my build date for the "new" skoda has slipped oh so sorry will be June now so sorry.

Does anyone know the latest as regards build / delivery dates and how relable they are?

If it was a stipulation that it had to be delivered by end of March, is this recorded on both your copy and dealers copy of order.   If yes then it has been made a contract of sale.   If not (or on best endeavours basis) then it was more an ideal, than actually being required.

Even if you have it as a contract requirement, you are still bound by the order until the day the dealer fails to meet the deadline.   Therefore unless there is mutual agreement to cancel, if the car arrives during March you have to take it (or pay a cancellation fee, which will be specified in small print).  Therefore currently unless the other side agrees to cancel, you potentially will end up with 2 cars if you also buy elsewhere.

Really you need to read your order form and contract, or at least the parts on delivery obligations and cancellation reasons/penalties.  

Also get something in writing from the dealer regarding dates, including screen grab of the current status on the Skoda system.   You need to get accurate info, rather than salesman patter embelishing / distorting the truth.

• Like 1

Surrey John - thanks for the advice.

There is no delivery date mentioned on the order paperwork actually.

I have got email confirmation from the Fleet Sales agent at the dealer that I CAN cancel. 

I do have an email trail discussing my required delivery date and the fact that it will be late, and confirmation that they will cancel without fee or penalty due to it being late.

I am literally on the cusp of ordering the pre-reg car, but whichever way I jump there are downsides.

The already ordered New skoda will be a 22 plate, with a rear wiper, travel assist and park assist. From what I read these options are often unused anyway. BUT the figures are quite a lot better. 

570 per month inc servicing, maintenance, roadside assistance and road tax.

Pre reg car is 21 plate with 42 miles on the clock - identical in every way apart from missing the options listed above. - and it's ready now.

That car is on a PCP deal with the company as the name - so the interest rate is higher. - the payment is 680 per month EXCLUDING servicing, maintainence, roadside assistance and road tax!

BUT on a PCP I am told that if I do less miles than specified (which is likely) then the residual value will be greater and I will get some money back for the company by selling it at the end and paying off the balloon payment.

Another big factor is that I will save a fair bit of personal tax as it is a PHEV and the BIK rate is very low (a big factor in me choosing this car). The sooner I get the car, the sooner I save tax money!

Really - from a business view point I think I should stick with the new car order BUT I will be penalising my own pocket by doing so, (and I suppose its not QUITE the car I ordered).

My main question is: is this new build week and estimated delivery date from the Skoda dealer just an attempt to stop me from cancelling, and will it slip again down the line (which will cost me more money and also make me feel like I have been had).

Your suggestion "screen grab of the current status on the Skoda system" is a good idea - I will ask for that.

Thanks.

My new Superb SEL has been on order since April, delivery dates have been and gone, no idea when it will arrive.

fortunately the leasing company has been very good at extending lease, I would rather wait and get the car I want.

On 11/01/2022 at 15:36, GedSmit said:

Surrey John - thanks for the advice.

There is no delivery date mentioned on the order paperwork actually.

I have got email confirmation from the Fleet Sales agent at the dealer that I CAN cancel. 

I do have an email trail discussing my required delivery date and the fact that it will be late, and confirmation that they will cancel without fee or penalty due to it being late.

I am literally on the cusp of ordering the pre-reg car, but whichever way I jump there are downsides.

The already ordered New skoda will be a 22 plate, with a rear wiper, travel assist and park assist. From what I read these options are often unused anyway. BUT the figures are quite a lot better. 

570 per month inc servicing, maintenance, roadside assistance and road tax.

Pre reg car is 21 plate with 42 miles on the clock - identical in every way apart from missing the options listed above. - and it's ready now.

That car is on a PCP deal with the company as the name - so the interest rate is higher. - the payment is 680 per month EXCLUDING servicing, maintainence, roadside assistance and road tax!

BUT on a PCP I am told that if I do less miles than specified (which is likely) then the residual value will be greater and I will get some money back for the company by selling it at the end and paying off the balloon payment.

Another big factor is that I will save a fair bit of personal tax as it is a PHEV and the BIK rate is very low (a big factor in me choosing this car). The sooner I get the car, the sooner I save tax money!

Really - from a business view point I think I should stick with the new car order BUT I will be penalising my own pocket by doing so, (and I suppose its not QUITE the car I ordered).

My main question is: is this new build week and estimated delivery date from the Skoda dealer just an attempt to stop me from cancelling, and will it slip again down the line (which will cost me more money and also make me feel like I have been had).

Your suggestion "screen grab of the current status on the Skoda system" is a good idea - I will ask for that.

Thanks.

For that £570/month is that just a lease? or do you keep the car at the end?

3 hours ago, Shirleyp said:

If you have an order number you should be able to track it with skoda

This is right. Get the order number and go on the Skoda website live chat during office hours, they'll tell you exactly what the status is

Be careful if a leaseCo is offering to cancel with no fee and no penalty.

They will not be doing this for charitable reasons, probably can lease it to someone else for a higher rate.   In other words you are giving up a good rate that is no longer on offer.

Don’t try and compare PCP vs Lease costs by simply looking at monthly amounts.  Instead add up all monthly payments plus initial payments and deposit, then divide total by number of months.  Then add in the PCP balloon payment, and revise your number of months for how long you will keep the car (eg 60 months for 5 years).   Then subtract the estimated sales price before dividing by number of months.  Compare these average monthly cost.  This might sound a faff but monthly amounts (excluding initial and final payments) can mislead.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shirleyp said:

If you have an order number you should be able to track it with skoda

i tried that - went on the Skoda website, and the chat - quoted the order number - wouldnt tell me anything as regards build date or delivery date. Just said contact the dealer.

4 hours ago, ItalianJob said:

For that £570/month is that just a lease? or do you keep the car at the end?

It's a business contract hire direct with Skoda Financial Services. No, it just goes back at the end of the agreement.

3 hours ago, Patent said:

This is right. Get the order number and go on the Skoda website live chat during office hours, they'll tell you exactly what the status is

As posted above, I tried that, quoted the order number - they refused to tell me anything, advised me to speak to the dealer.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Be careful if a leaseCo is offering to cancel with no fee and no penalty.

They will not be doing this for charitable reasons, probably can lease it to someone else for a higher rate.   In other words you are giving up a good rate that is no longer on offer.

Don’t try and compare PCP vs Lease costs by simply looking at monthly amounts.  Instead add up all monthly payments plus initial payments and deposit, then divide total by number of months.  Then add in the PCP balloon payment, and revise your number of months for how long you will keep the car (eg 60 months for 5 years).   Then subtract the estimated sales price before dividing by number of months.  Compare these average monthly cost.  This might sound a faff but monthly amounts (excluding initial and final payments) can mislead.

The Lease (for the new car) is with the Skoda dealership and Skoda Financial Services. I am sure they are quite happy to cancel as they will be able to sell the new car several times over.

Update: I found out a lot about PCP (which I knew nothing of) v Business Contract Hire. On the face of it there are similarities - you pay an initial payment 3 months for example - you pay an amount per month for a fixed term and you stipulate how many miles P.A. you think you will do - and there are excess charges if you go over. 

However, there are differences... BCH - the car belongs to Skoda Financial Services - you have to give the car back no matter what (you can extend the lease if they agree) So the final value of the car is unimportant, and if you do less miles than agreed (as I have done with my current Lexus due to the pandemic) TOUGH! you get nothing back. But for my deal I got servicing, maintenance, roadside assistance and V.E.D included.

PCP deal (also interestingly with Skoda Financial services) - inital payment very similar, the annual milage is the same, there is a balloon payment at the end where i COULD own the car (I won't want to - unless there is positive equity - even then I realised its a bit of a faff company accounts wise). Having said that I reckon by 3 years the new car shortage will be over which will depress used car demand so I would be surprised if theres a lot of equity if any in it. 

I would be responsible for the VED, the maintenance and service, basically all costs - including Gap insurance if I choose to take it (no GAP insurance necessary with BCH).

Now bear in mind the BASIC monthly payment on PCP is MUCH higher than the BCH monthly payment WHICH INCLUDES EVERYTHING!

Financially, it's a real no brainer. BCH wins hands down (in my opinion I guess).

The big question after that decision is: will it turn up when it is supposed to? 

I have told the Pre-Reg Skoda dealer I can't do it - sorry and all that. (the extra expense is hard to justify, truly).

The "New" Skoda from the dealer will apparently have a build week 10 and "should" be with me end of March - if thats true I can extend the lease on my Lexus for another month and all good - I can get the lovely new car experience AND save personal tax with the low BIK rate on the Skoda.

If it's delayed appreciably (another month or more) I will be livid and will feel I made the wrong choice.

Time will tell!

Received this update earlier today 

Vehicle(s) -  SKODA SUPERB DIESEL ESTATE 2.0 TDI CR SE L 5dr DSG.

Unfortunately, our latest update on the above is that your order has slipped back and is still awaiting a confirmed build date. We will be in a position to advise an ETA once the build date is confirmed.

We are experiencing manufacturing delays to the DEALER and may be subject to change currently due to the ongoing global SemiConductor Shortages, the effect of Factory Covid Closures, and Brexit delays.

We will continue to provide regular updates on the status of the delivery, but if you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

1 hour ago, Shirleyp said:

Received this update earlier today 

Vehicle(s) -  SKODA SUPERB DIESEL ESTATE 2.0 TDI CR SE L 5dr DSG.

Unfortunately, our latest update on the above is that your order has slipped back and is still awaiting a confirmed build date. We will be in a position to advise an ETA once the build date is confirmed.

We are experiencing manufacturing delays to the DEALER and may be subject to change currently due to the ongoing global SemiConductor Shortages, the effect of Factory Covid Closures, and Brexit delays.

We will continue to provide regular updates on the status of the delivery, but if you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Oh for gods sake...

And yours has been on order since April 21!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2022 at 23:41, GedSmit said:

Update: I found out a lot about PCP (which I knew nothing of) v Business Contract Hire. On the face of it there are similarities - you pay an initial payment 3 months for example - you pay an amount per month for a fixed term and you stipulate how many miles P.A. you think you will do - and there are excess charges if you go over. 

However, there are differences... BCH - the car belongs to Skoda Financial Services - you have to give the car back no matter what (you can extend the lease if they agree) So the final value of the car is unimportant, and if you do less miles than agreed (as I have done with my current Lexus due to the pandemic) TOUGH! you get nothing back. But for my deal I got servicing, maintenance, roadside assistance and V.E.D included.

PCP deal (also interestingly with Skoda Financial services) - inital payment very similar, the annual milage is the same, there is a balloon payment at the end where i COULD own the car (I won't want to - unless there is positive equity - even then I realised its a bit of a faff company accounts wise). Having said that I reckon by 3 years the new car shortage will be over which will depress used car demand so I would be surprised if theres a lot of equity if any in it. 

I would be responsible for the VED, the maintenance and service, basically all costs - including Gap insurance if I choose to take it (no GAP insurance necessary with BCH).

Now bear in mind the BASIC monthly payment on PCP is MUCH higher than the BCH monthly payment WHICH INCLUDES EVERYTHING!

Financially, it's a real no brainer. BCH wins hands down (in my opinion I guess).

The big question after that decision is: will it turn up when it is supposed to? 

I have told the Pre-Reg Skoda dealer I can't do it - sorry and all that. (the extra expense is hard to justify, truly).

The "New" Skoda from the dealer will apparently have a build week 10 and "should" be with me end of March - if thats true I can extend the lease on my Lexus for another month and all good - I can get the lovely new car experience AND save personal tax with the low BIK rate on the Skoda.

If it's delayed appreciably (another month or more) I will be livid and will feel I made the wrong choice.

Time will tell!

Ordered an SEL with rear wiper, winter pack and spare wheel , in July , just got told last week build week 9;, delivery mid March. 

On 14/01/2022 at 17:19, GedSmit said:

Oh for gods sake...

And yours has been on order since April 21!

No scheduled build date realistically means not planned to build it in next 3 or 4 weeks.   If you allow 2-3 weeks for delivery and few days for dealer to do PDI then it effectively means not within next 2 months.

But it is guesswork if it will be 1 week, 1 month, or 6 months or whatever longer.