Forthcoming Changes to the Highway Code

Chorlton

Highway Code Changes  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of the changes to the Highway Code that will come into effect on 29th January 2022?

• Yes
    • No

Changes to the Highway Code will come into force on 29th January.  A summary of the changes can be found here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1037306/table-of-change-to-the-highway-code.pdf

Most notable are the new rules H1 to H3 under the 'Hierarchy of Road Users' heading (or common sense as I like to think of it).

Who on here is aware of the changes?

Edited by Chorlton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised at the absence of replies to this topic so far, bearing in mind that the changes are going to seriously affect how everybody should be driving. I have seen a few reports on the TV news mainly stating that many people are unaware of the changes due to a lack of recent publicity, and I also saw a discussion on Jeremy Vine earlier this week.

I fear that it is a recipe for chaos starting on Saturday 29th when some people will be driving and/or cycling according to the new rules while those who are still unaware will be going by the old rules. It also seems likely that there will be misunderstandings of the new rules. The new rules state, among other things, that cyclists should at certain times ride in the middle of their lane rather than on the left, but I have seen various people including Jeremy Vine saying that cyclists should ride in the middle of the road (not lane).

I had a browse  of that linked, highlighted document but it's long and I'm tired. Everyone on the road is safest to assume that no-one else knows the rules and be suitably wary.

Had to look up what a 'parallel crossing' might be. Don't think I've ever seen one.

Edited by Wino
sp

Those on foot, cycle, push scooter, horses, horse and carriages, donkeys, elephants or other means of transport are not required to be taught to use their means of transport or hold a driving licence.

Those that do drive motorised vehicles need to remember that even if the people not in them are in stupid places on roads or at roadsides they need to be taking care and attention because they are the drivers / riders. 

Having cameras recording how they drive might be simply clever just as long as they always drive and behave according to Traffic Laws and the Highway code.

Edited by roottoot