Drivers door barrel

Just so I know I am not going mad. My Mk3 has the slot to expose the door barrel on the passenger side, but the driver door has no slot to remove the same cover. Is there a barrel on RHD version or am I stuck only having the passenger door with a barrel?

Asking as I need to reprogram a keyfob and it says driver door to reactivate, but only the passenger door has a slot to expose the barrel.

Couldn't code my spare and just found out it wont start the car either. Early days my car had a BCU replaced under warranty. Some sort of computer. I am wondering if they recoded my main key but as the spare wasn't present it never got re synched to the BCU. Body Control Unit??

Annoying as it means my spare would never have worked. Trip to the dealer I think.

@Spindizzy yes they might have balls'd up the coding.

My wife's 2015 Mk3 RHD has hidden barrel on the driver's side (RHS, offside) and not on passenger's side (LHS, nearside).

If you know someone with a higher level scan tool they could code the key for you, if you live near Northampton my neighbour would probably be able to do it on his scan tool.

By coincidence I saw this Scotty Kilmer video today, you need to stick with it a bit and bear in mind it's USA but it might explain your situation now. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJWFg0euZZc  

Edited by nta16
spelling

50 minutes ago, nta16 said:

@Spindizzy yes they might have balls'd up the coding.

My wife's 2015 Mk3 RHD has hidden barrel on the driver's side (RHS, offside) and not on passenger's side (LHS, nearside).

If you know someone with a higher level scan tool they could code the key for you, if you live near Northampton my neighbour would probably be able to do it on his scan tool.

By coincidence I saw this Scotty Kilmer video today, you need to stick with it a bit and bear in mind it's USA but it might explain your situation now. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJWFg0euZZc  

Reckon that sums up where I am. They must have either botched it or only coded the key I gave them when they swapped out the Body Control Module. Was all under warranty and its in warranty so will take it to the dealer.  

The guy in the video really reminds me of Dennis Hopper for some reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

They must have either botched it or only coded the key I gave them when they swapped out the Body Control Module.

To be fair they could only code the key or keys you gave them but if you only gave one as the experts they should have asked you to bring in both.

Personally once recoded I'd go through the synchronisation procedure as in the Operator's Instructions for both keys just to be sure, as I've use Microsoft for decades I'd learnt not to fully trust reprograming and updates.

I also suggest alternating, in whatever way is best for you, the use of both keyfobs (and key blades) that way there is more even wear on the keys, remotes, batteries and cylinder locks plus you then always know where the "spare" key is and it's not mislaid or lost.

The guy in the video really reminds me of Dennis Hopper for some reason.

Not like Blue Velvet's Frank on oxygen I hope. 😄

Was all under warranty and its in warranty so will take it to the dealer.  

Take both keys and get them to check both keys fully operate, otherwise you they might just reverse which key works.

Edited by nta16
spelling

Warning about ignition especially barrel wear reminds me about 1970/80's Ford Fiestas, Ford only ever, I think, at that time supplied a "lock kit" which was essentially a set of general parts and a set of 4 of each of the 4 disc versions that made up a lock. So the plan was to check either the lock number or as a DIYer carefully take the old barrel apart and note the number of each of the old discs and assembly the new barrel using the same "code" - I've done that a couple of times, though it was still a bit tricky if you had the space of 4 or 5 years between reasons to need to do that. At least with Ford and their Chubb locks, it was normally the softer keys that failed/wore out first, so when I got the call "dad, I can't get the key to work in the ignition!" I knew to look out the "red" master key which any smart owner never used normally as a convenient 3rd key, and it in its pristine state worked in that slightly worn ignition barrel, so we got the car back home and I bought a new lock kit so back to all keys working again!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xman said:

Only one manually operatable lock I think. Looks as if Skoda couldn't be arsed to RHD it.

Next model we might see something daft like zero manual locks.

I suppose with Skoda and SEAT having the bonnet release on the LHS of at least RHD cars, it does make a bit of sense to have a single key lock on that side, though why both can't be on the RHS of RHD drives like VW and Audi have beats me.

Also, do some Fabias really have a concealed key lock on the RHS of RHD cars, why would they bother fitting a concealing cover on the RHS of a RHD car, I would have thought that there will just be the normal "dummy barrel" cast bit under any "covered" area of a door handle.  I bought a concealing cover for the driver's door lock on my 2011 S4 but so far, after having the spray paint etc for 4 years, I seemed to missed painting the new cover in the warm weather or even cutting a slot in it so that it could be removed using a key blade if needed to.

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

I suppose with Skoda and SEAT having the bonnet release on the LHS of at least RHD cars, it does make a bit of sense to have a single key lock on that side, though why both can't be on the RHS of RHD drives like VW and Audi have beats me.

Also, do some Fabias really have a concealed key lock on the RHS of RHD cars, why would they bother fitting a concealing cover on the RHS of a RHD car, I would have thought that there will just be the normal "dummy barrel" cast bit under any "covered" area of a door handle.  I bought a concealing cover for the driver's door lock on my 2011 S4 but so far, after having the spray paint etc for 4 years, I seemed to missed painting the new cover in the warm weather or even cutting a slot in it so that it could be removed using a key blade if needed to.

Its possible there is a barrel on the RH side but there is  no cut out slot in the moulding to remove it. I wasn't going to try and force it. Will ask when I go to the dealer.

I'd think that comment you made does answer my question as it would be very strange for a VAG car to have a lock cover fitted that did not have a cut out for removing it, if there was a proper barrel under there.

5 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Also, do some Fabias really have a concealed key lock on the RHS of RHD cars,

Yes, my wife's 2015 Mk3 RHD has a hidden barrel with a concealing cover on the driver's side (RHS, offside) and not on passenger's side (LHS, nearside).

hiddenlock.jpg.8fe71d3e37161f33c298e948075079bf.jpg

18 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Yes, my wife's 2015 Mk3 RHD has a hidden barrel with a concealing cover on the driver's side (RHS, offside) and not on passenger's side (LHS, nearside).

hiddenlock.jpg.8fe71d3e37161f33c298e948075079bf.jpg

Weird then how my 2019 Fabia has it on the passenger side and presumably not on the drivers as there is no cut out for the cover. I have the same info you posted in my owner manual.

My 2018 facelift Fabia III SE (RHD and not KESSY) has the key barrel on the passenger (LH) side front door.  It is covered, as mentioned above, by a removable cover which incorporates a slot to assist removal using the blade from the key.

The RH (driver's) door does not have a similar slot, and from memory the "cover" is not constructed to be removable (I'll have to double-check in the morning when it is light but I do remember looking in the past and concluding that the "cover" on the RH driver's door handle was not removable).

Having the door barrel only on the LH side could pose a significant problem under certain circumstances, such as if you have parked with the LH (passenger's) side up against a wall, etc, and your remote unlocking no longer works (key or car battery gone flat for example and spare key not readily available) as there is then no way I can think of to get into the vehicle short of dragging it away from the wall (or using a set of wheel dollies) thereby gaining access to that LH door. 

I suggest It is much less likely one would park hard against a wall on the driver's (RH) side so having the key barrel on the RH side I consider to be a better option (for RHD cars, that is).  Having a barrel in each of the front doors would be best of all (and probably cost Mr Skoda no more than a fiver to build into each car).

I anticipate that on LHD cars the key barrel is also fitted solely to the LH (now driver's) door.

Incidentally, the owner's manual only talks about the barrel being on the front left door.  No mention of the front right door, so I expect I have answered my own questions!

My Fabia II had the key barrel on the RH (driver's)  side, as reported above for earlier model Fabia IIIs.

It is probable that having the barrel fitted to only LH side front doors came about with the Mk III facelift and I can only presume it was to save a bob or two on production costs.  In my opinion, and to misquote an often used Skoda marketing phrase, "Simply Stupid"!

• Like 1

Probably was as a result of a worker's suggestion box entry that it would save 2 mins / 2 euros on the production line if all Fabias were built with the lock on the same side. Thank god they ignored the suggestion that the steering wheels and pedals should all be put on the left hand side.

I need to check where these locks, if any, are on my Superb...

• Like 2

Xman beat me to it, I'd guess it's a cost saving exercise, most people would be surprised at the manufacturing, components, parts and assembly costs of an individual vehicle.  Any saving is multiplied by the volume of vehicles it affects.

9 hours ago, Portman said:

Having the door barrel only on the LH side could pose a significant problem under certain circumstances,

There was a thread quite recently with exactly this problem with the alarm going off as there wasn't enough time to clamber passed the driver's seat and get to open the passenger's door.

It must be remembered that despite what many might be told we in Britain/UK are a much smaller market and we drive on the other side of the road to the majority of the world. 

Also seems to be complaints about the quality of the infotainment systems and "radios".

There is the possibility that Skoda listened to the customers, and actually did something...

"My battery is flat - I use the key in the only place it would open the car and I can't open the bonnet, which I need to do to charge the battery, because the passenger door is still locked shut, and it was designed to stop you opening the bonnet if the door is shut."

So what do Skoda do?, ignore it, or modify loads of bits of plastic moldings and stuff to put the bonnet opening on the other side of the car, or leave the lock barrel on the same side for LHD and RHD cars.

(Yes, I know you can bend the arm enough to open the bonnet - I have had to do it - but it's not something I'd like to do again.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnh510 said:

So what do Skoda do?, ignore it, or modify loads of bits of plastic moldings and stuff to put the bonnet opening on the other side of the car, or leave the lock barrel on the same side for LHD and RHD cars.

Possibly, but then they could just redesign the bonnet pull handle, put a dog leg in it, or simply have the handle angled back. Maybe its "simply too much to expect"

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, xman said:

Possibly, but then they could just redesign the bonnet pull handle, put a dog leg in it,

I might be wrong, but, I think the door obstructing the bonnet pull is deliberate design.

Take your pick - stops you accidentally opening the bonnet a bit while storming along the autobahn,

or makes it awkward for an undesirable to get under the bonnet while the car is locked.

Maybe, but the bonnet already has an additional safety catch that requires releasing, there to stop an unlocked or improperly locked bonnet flying up.

And if the car is locked, isn't that already awkward enough for an undesirable.

Why isnt this a feature on other previous or present models such as my Superb mk3 or perhaps its less desirable than a Fabia. 🤪

3 hours ago, xman said:

Maybe, but the bonnet already has an additional safety catch that requires releasing, there to stop an unlocked or improperly locked bonnet flying up.

And if the car is locked, isn't that already awkward enough for an undesirable.

Why isnt this a feature on other previous or present models such as my Superb mk3 or perhaps its less desirable than a Fabia. 🤪

@xman, are you saying that in your Superb MK3, that the bonnet release is NOT blocked when the doors are closed? That is strange, my old 2011 Audi S4 has its bonnet release blocked when the (driver's) door is closed and so does my wife's 2015 VW Polo, though I will openly admit that initially I thought that there was an issue with that S4's bonnet release as sometimes it worked with very little effort and sometimes it was "solid" - obviously my error coming from a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion, the times the S4 bonnet release was "solid" would be when the driver's door was still closed!!

6 hours ago, nta16 said:

snip  ---  snip --

There was a thread quite recently with exactly this problem with the alarm going off as there wasn't enough time to clamber passed the driver's seat and get to open the passenger's door.

snip  ---  snip --

I think that you wrote that "the wrong side round"  - the big issue was needing to unlock the only door with a lock barrel and then squeeze across into the driver's seat and get the key into the ignition. I'm just commenting on that so that if you correct that it will make more sense to future readers, that is all.

One other thing about this "change from what went before" I was always of the opinion that with any car from any marque that came with remote central locking, if the remote fob failed, you would get global unlocking and locking from using the single key barrel door lock available, and if the central locking system failed - or the car battery failed, that single key barrel would always unlock that door mechanically/directly. Maybe I've always been wrong about the global unlocking/locking though - I should check both our cars wrt that!

Also, from another poster, I've never just taken any pictures to be a true reflection of all cars, I even think that VAG handbooks at least used to make it clear that pictures will only be correct for LHD cars and the usual comment about "not all cars will have all features shown".

19 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

@xman, are you saying that in your Superb MK3, that the bonnet release is NOT blocked when the doors are closed?

Yes, just been out to the car to check. Same with our Fabia mk2 (passenger side) and Octavia mk2 FL (driver side)

Lock cover is on the drivers side of my RHD Superb

Edited by xman

As far as the original posting the dealer said replacing the Body Control Unit would mean having to reprogram the keys and they will do it for thee spare key next time I go in, which is soon. I guess they forgot to ask about my spare when they replaced it.

The door lock handing is an oddball. Just need to remember not to park with the passenger side hard against any walls!

They can take a look at the condensation in my nearside rear light cluster while they are at it. Ruddy things been bad since new. Rubbish design having an open back with just a seal around the rear opening where the cables pass through the car. No way is that ever a proper seal as its open to the car interior. I much preferred the old style with the internal bracket holding the bulbs. Levering off the entire unit to change a bulb is silly, but probably cheaper to produce.

I even bought a tool made by Laser Tools to "yank" rear light clusters off VW Group (and other) cars, the similar aged VW Polo has a horrible special big screw that holds the rear clusters in - not as easy to remove as the plastic wing nuts on previous version of Polo, plus access through the hatch in the trim fabric is not good even for people with small hands.

For previous models of some of these VW Group cars you could buy a replacement gasket for the bulb mounting section, SEAT seem to use Valeo to make their rear clusters  and when you add in some "classy" shapes, the end result does tend to require an application of clear sealant where the plastic parts are meant to have been heat welded in production.