Dealing with corroded panel under front of bonnet

I would like to improve the look of this corroded panel underneath my bonnet (see attached picture) and have a few questions that I would be very grateful to anyone who can help

1) what is this part called and what is its purpose?

2) Is the part sold separately (local scrapyard would prefer to sell the entire bonnet as opposed to this part itself)?

3) There are 5 Torx t15/20 screws that can be easily removed, but how do I deal with the rivets that are also fastening it to the bonnet? 

If I can't get a replacement then I want to take it off, remove the rust and flaky paint and paint it.

20220116_142022.jpg

You could wire brush it now, then apply rust treatment.  The in another day sand it and apply more rust treatment. (After wire brushing you will know if too far gone to bother doing anymore with it.)

It could be prepped and painted as fitted now without removal.   

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

As you will see from the parts diagram HERE the bonnet is one piece, so your options are to fix it as suggested above or replace it.

Edited by MikeTheThinker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeTheThinker said:

As you will see from the parts diagram HERE the bonnet is one piece, so your options are to fix it as suggested above or replace it.

Isn't it number 40 in the diagram here?:

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2011-663/8/823-823010/#40

Searching that part number on eBay gives me the right part:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Public-6502-07-7521992P-Support-radiator-grille-for-SKODA-/165099346629?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0

That said, roottoot's suggestion is probably still a better solution. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, silasramsbottom said:

Isn't it number 40 in the diagram here?:

I'm sorry, you are correct.

It's been a tough day and I wasn't concentrating as well as I should.

• Love it! 1

I know it is sometimes difficult to get Skoda to honour its body warranty. But have you tried? Seems to be an easy case and Skoda should supply a new painted bonnet. Unless of course yours is too old to still have the warranty.

That amount of rust never happened this year so in 2022, or last year,

that has been getting worse for a number of years and ignored.  Never acted upon. No repair or treatment carried out. 

As much as i bad mouth Skoda UK and them knocking back Paint or Body Corrosion Warranties (Needs to be a holed panel)  

because they say the Body Inspections were not carried out.

The T&C's of the Warranty says nothing about Annual or Bi-annual Inspections, but at a Service a Body Inspection is shown by Skoda in the Servicing as part of what you get done, 

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg

Edited by roottoot

Chip any flaky bits away with a screwdriver using a woodpecker like action (wear eye protection), don't go mad, just use the weight of the screwdriver and don't aim for baby smooth then a couple of generous coats of Hammerite and it should outlive the rest of the car.