The Impossible Starting Problem

Hello,

I have owned my Rapid SB 1.4 TDI DSG since 2015. It has covered 112,000 miles (mainly motorway).

Starting in February 2020 it developed an issue where the engine fails to start (cranks fine, revs increase slightly but then cuts out). Occasionally it will start the next time you try, sometimes 5 tries later. Sometimes, you have to wait 30 minutes and come back. It will always eventually start, but time seems to be the only healer.

I took it to the main dealer in February 2020 to be charged over the odds and told nothing could be found.

I  then broke down at some traffic lights in late 2021 (start stop activated and it wouldn't then restart due to the same fault). Recovery attended, but because the car had been stopped for around 1 hour by the time they arrived it started first time. Nothing is logged by the system in terms of error codes.

I took it back to the dealer who managed to replicate the fault and 'pointed' to the turbo but with no certainty - this idea was based on the oil cap being released to release pressure solving the problem but subsequent testing by me has shown that isn't actually the case.

The problem continues, sometimes 5-6 times a day, sometimes the car runs fine for 2 weeks before it happens again. Overall it does seem to becoming more frequent but it is COMPLETLEY intermittent with no cause that seems to correlate.

Interestingly it has NEVER failed to start from a cold start in the morning before work. Only after driving and say stopping at a shop or service station.

I am very close to just offloading the car and going with a different brand but i wondered if anyone here could shed any light. 

• 2 years later...

My mechanic tells me to replace the Starter Motor. He scanned the Car for any possible error codes and there was none, he informed changing the starter motor might fix the problem.. I am confused between camshaft and starter motor now

Edited by prasanth92