AnnoyingPentium's Return Dive into Swimming... and other 'elf stuff

AnnoyingPentium

On 21/11/2023 at 13:25, fabdavrav said:

I started to go back earlier this year after a few years off/avoiding due to the pandemic.......then 4 weeks later (end of April) broke 2 bones in my left foot...😬...So a few months off for that, then started to go back, took it easy...& then missed October as sorting the car out...Now back to it again!...

That pretty much mirrors my return to running this year, I was running 4 times a week with a club doing 40-60 kms a week & more than that cycling to and from the club in the summer months, then nothing for 3 years.

I had no sooner got back into it with a social running group than I too was hospitalised with a serious illness in April, then subsequently I was troubled with asthma which had been in remission for 3 decades.

I did a lot of cycling in the summer and have been running again for the last 2 months, now it is very hard getting up at 7.30 am in a caravan at 5°c to drive in a warmer car to then run for an hour at zero°c.

Maybe I should start swimming until the spring, I did it regularly when I was still scuba diving, twice a week training with the club but then moved on to running.

For the last thirty six Christmas Days I have been in Australia it has been a 'tradition' for me to go for a swim on Christmas Day with all but one on the nearby beach and the exception a couple of hundred km inland in the River Murray.

Often conducted in beautiful weather and clear seas but occasionally more challenging when cool and very windy.

This year Christmas day is forecast to max out at a chilly 21 deg C and, as it will be my first swim since last February, I predict the distance covered in the water will be relatively rapid and very, very short.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

For the last thirty six Christmas Days I have been in Australia it has been a 'tradition' for me to go for a swim on Christmas Day with all but one on the nearby beach and the exception a couple of hundred km inland in the River Murray.

Often conducted in beautiful weather and clear seas but occasionally more challenging when cool and very windy.

This year Christmas day is forecast to max out at a chilly 21 deg C and, as it will be my first swim since last February, I predict the distance covered in the water will be relatively rapid and very, very short.

"chilly 21C".......thats WARM!!!............

I'm lucky if the sea water gets that warm at the height of summer where I live!!....usually its between 12C & 16C when I'm swimming in the summer!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

"chilly 21C".......thats WARM!!!............

I'm lucky if the sea water gets that warm at the height of summer where I live!!....usually its between 12C & 16C when I'm swimming in the summer!

I was referring to the air temperature but actually the sea temperature in the Gulf of St. Vincent is apparently 19.7 which surprises me that it is that high, as we have had a cool start to our summer.

Going to be pretty breezy too 🥶 so it will probably feel warmer in the sea although it will be very choppy out there.

I'd only swim in a wet suit in your sea temperatures. Actually a wet suit not a bad idea for this Christmas Day and would be a first.

A couple of years back, my wife and I did once did snorkel in 12 deg sea temps to tick off a bucket item of swimming with an annual gathering of giant cuttlefish. That was an incredible experience although we shivered for an hour after.

If the shark spotter plane indicates there is something close at hand, then to hell with tradition!

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I was referring to the air temperature but actually the sea temperature in the Gulf of St. Vincent is apparently 19.7 which surprises me that it is that high, as we have had a cool start to our summer.

Going to be pretty breezy too 🥶 so it will probably feel warmer in the sea although it will be very choppy out there.

I'd only swim in a wet suit in your sea temperatures. Actually a wet suit not a bad idea for this Christmas Day and would be a first.

A couple of years back, my wife and I did once did snorkel in 12 deg sea temps to tick off a bucket item of swimming with an annual gathering of giant cuttlefish. That was an incredible experience although we shivered for an hour after.

If the shark spotter plane indicates there is something close at hand, then to hell with tradition!

21C air temp is still warm!!.......I do wear a very thin race type triathlon suit...so I can stay in the water longer....I used to swim in just a pair of "budgie smugglers" as you call them, but after 40mins I was having problems keeping warm as expending too much energy shivering whilst swimming!...So got the wetsuit & I usually swim for about 50mins to 1hr 5mins & do 2km to 2.5km...depending on the sea swell.....But as its a very thin suit 12C is about the lowest temp I can stand for long periods of time...

• Like 1

Well it was pretty much a splash and dash but the Christmas tradition has been maintained for another year despite the adverse weather conditions.

The main problem was not the air temperature, although only five degrees warmer than London today, but the howling gale along the beach.

My wife had to hold onto my sandals, clothing and towel while I swam to avoid an impromptu beach sprint pursuit.

And I actually enjoyed it.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2023 at 10:36, Gerrycan said:

Well it was pretty much a splash and dash but the Christmas tradition has been maintained for another year despite the adverse weather conditions.

The main problem was not the air temperature, although only five degrees warmer than London today, but the howling gale along the beach.

My wife had to hold onto my sandals, clothing and towel while I swam to avoid an impromptu beach sprint pursuit.

And I actually enjoyed it.

My exercise was helping with the cooking (on top of the usual drying up & putting away)...mind you having good simple food & a good beer whilst watching a good programme on T.V. & having the log burner on is a nice way to relax!.....😴......nite..nite!

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1