AnnoyingPentium's Return Dive into Swimming... and other 'elf stuff

AnnoyingPentium

Best thing to build up distance is to to the first 10 lengths (5 ends) without stopping..& yes its the hardest...then increase to first 20 lengths....Then allow yourself a brief stop every 10 lengths.

TBH I usually count "ends" & only from the end I start, so thats 2 lengths...

• Like 1

Two weeks off the swimming and feel as if I'm back at square one. I've also got a sore arm from having my booster jag on Saturday so was just taking it easy. Managed a nice 18 for now. Just time to work my way back again. :)

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 06:54, AnnoyingPentium said:

Two weeks off the swimming and feel as if I'm back at square one. I've also got a sore arm from having my booster jag on Saturday so was just taking it easy. Managed a nice 18 for now. Just time to work my way back again. :)

I didn't run, or even feel like running, for three weeks after my booster. Lot of variation in how boosters can affect someone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

I didn't run, or even feel like running, for three weeks after my booster. Lot of variation in how boosters can affect someone.

With my first and second vaccinations I felt terrible for a week or two. With this one it was a sore arm and that was about it actually. :)

• Like 1

Gave it another go tonight. 30 lengths which suits me fine. Set my quickest at about 25 seconds, at least counting in my head. :D

Beats the 36 seconds I used to do it in as well.

Overall quite pleased though! :)

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Corrections

Had another go at the swimming tonight, 40 lengths again, so a kilometre in about 40 minutes, which isn't bad considering I do like to break my groups of lengths up a little. Very pleased with that. Managed 11 lengths in the one go as well. :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Had another go at the swimming tonight, 40 lengths again, so a kilometre in about 40 minutes, which isn't bad considering I do like to break my groups of lengths up a little. Very pleased with that. Managed 11 lengths in the one go as well. :)

Good start!!..

• Thanks 1

50 lengths tonight. Feeling quite chuffed with that. Anything over 40 is plenty for me really. Also got 20 in a row which is different from my usual routine of doing little blocks of 4-6ish which after evaluation is something I do prefer IME. Ach well, I did a wee bit of exploring in the name of personal (?) science and had a bit of fun, but think I'll stick to my old method as I can still fire out a nice amount of lengths without struggling as much. :)

• Like 2

Just now, olduns said:

Mixing it up won't hurt every now and then for a change. 

Agreed. All that aside, doing this swimming regularly is actually doing me a fair amount of good... well not financially as I'm now going to have to buy new jeans, but you get the idea. :D

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Return Dive into Swimming... and other 'elf stuff

Changed the title on here as I feel it's a wee bit more fitting since I do a little more than swimming. I'm not a runner, nor have I had the desire to be one (sorry to the lads who do, it's just not my thing :D) but I also live in quite a beautiful part of Scotland and aim to be taking more of an advantage to it by going for some decent wee walks and that again. Will probably log some stuff here on top of the swimming when... or rather if I remember. :)

• Like 2

In my limited experience of Scotland the beautiful bits usually have elevation changes so Inspect your see walks may offer more aerobic benefits than you are suggesting.

The wife and I have done many beautiful walks all around Aus but our UK walks were always more relaxed as we did not have to worry about carrying a snake bite kit :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

The wife and I have done many beautiful walks all around Aus but our UK walks were always more relaxed as we did not have to worry about carrying a snake bite kit :)

I'm terrified of snakes (well most snakes) so I've been giving Aus a wide berth... :D

9 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

In my limited experience of Scotland the beautiful bits usually have elevation changes so Inspect your see walks may offer more aerobic benefits than you are suggesting.

Aye definitely. I live in the middle of nowhere and there's some lovely bits for walking. :)

Ironically I have only seen an actual snake bite in the UK in Essex about 45 years ago during an interclub competition.

A baby adder trapped in a golf hole cup bit my opponent as he retrieved his ball.

He had to retire after a few more holes to get medical attention, so was one of my more unusual wins.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something I read years back suggested that cessation of exercise resulted in the loss of performance at the rate of 1% per day.

While it seems a frightening figure there are probably a lot of factors behind it I cannot remember, such as whether the cessation is foregoing all exercise (from injury) or just the activity in question?

The other thing to note is the reduction is therefore not linear.

After 14 days an expected reduction in speed/endurance of somewhere between 5 and 10% would be noticeable.

When I was younger and resumed exercise after a layoff then it seemed to take roughly twice as long to get back to where I was but the curve was reversed insofar as the bigger gains came early and then slowed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven't forgotten about this, until late June I was still swimming regularly, but then I took a bout of something rather COVID-esque from work and wasn't quite right for a bit. Been better for some time but haven't returned to swimming yet.

In regards to other health stuff, I was working on my feet for the job (valeting, 0800-1730 usually) so was kept quite active. It was a temp contract, but in that time I managed to shed some excess weight I had been carrying and managed to keep it off with walking a lot. Now 2 1/2 stone down and feeling better than I have felt in years. :biggrin:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Jesus, has it been that long?! Anyway, returned to swimming since then, then stopped again. Tonight was my first night back, and I've signed up for the monthly pass. I've decided to go on Monday evenings and a Wednesday morning/evening (dependent on working hours). They offer a lot of different time slots, thankfully.

Missed the swimming, so it's nice to be getting back in the way of it. :)

• Like 3

I started to go back earlier this year after a few years off/avoiding due to the pandemic.......then 4 weeks later (end of April) broke 2 bones in my left foot...😬...So a few months off for that, then started to go back, took it easy...& then missed October as sorting the car out...Now back to it again!...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

I started to go back earlier this year after a few years off/avoiding due to the pandemic.......then 4 weeks later (end of April) broke 2 bones in my left foot...😬...So a few months off for that, then started to go back, took it easy...& then missed October as sorting the car out...Now back to it again!...

Glad to hear you're getting back into it as well. Good to see you posting too, hope you're well. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Glad to hear you're getting back into it as well. Good to see you posting too, hope you're well. :)

My body certainly needs the swimming...its the only thing that helps with the long lasting (permanent) after effects of the emergency surgery I had 6yrs ago!....

As for posting...I've got so much on...trouble is I'm mainly on the big USA based MK7 Golf forum.....& the owner went AWOL a few years ago...& the place is spam-bot central every day, & the existing Admins don't have the appropriate "rights" to put in place stuff to stop it, so its a constant fire battle...Then in the past 2 months the host servers have been playing up!!....Result:- I'm trying to copy all the stuff I've posted & will some time soon go to a free blogger site & create my own "site" & place up all of my How to guides etc....A few of the other long term members are thinking of doing the same as if the servers crash thats it......all info lost!

Edited by fabdavrav
Clarity
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight was possibly the last time swimming this year...hopefully back at early in the new year...pool opening times etc all depending!..

Anyway manged 80-84 lengths (lost 100% accurate count) of a 25m pool in 56ish mins...& two full underwater lengths..(single length at a time & start at the shallow end, no diving in & harder).

Foots doing ok ish..breathing is back to how it was pre-covid, when I was last doing loads of swimming...& I'm finding my rhythm much easier...!!!!

Still slow compared to when I was doing 100-110 lengths in 60mins back circa 2008, or when I did 200 lengths in 1hr 49mins in 1992 (Swimathon'92, could have been 10mins faster if had not shared a lane with 5 other people).......but I'm older & the body is a bit more FUBAR since then!!....😂

• Like 2