Another air filter question, old mapped tdi

As above, my car is a mapped octavia 2.0 tdi pd. 

I have already purchased a k&n panel, only to stop and read opinions on them this afternoon.. 😆

My concern is it may reduce the life time of the engine - car has now done over 170k miles, while I definitely enjoy it, I think ensuring it lasts should be my first concern, rather than performance.. I chose the k&n as an alternative to replacing my standard air filter every 15k miles - but I don't wanna jeopardise the longevity of the engine. 

What are the chances of damaging the engine by fitting an aftermarket panel with increased airflow?  I'm thinking of all the debris going in, and what's already inside the engine at that mileage. 🤔

Am I ok to fit the k&n (since its already here) and maybe replace it after a while or should I fit a standard paper filter straight away? 

I reckon with the mixed opinions I've read it's not a big deal and either option should be fine- but no one on here has mentioned the mileage of their cars and I think it'll be different with brand new cars. 

Also, I've not found any information on that, why are the aftermarket panels of different height? E.g. A standard filter for my octavia is 70mm high, the k&n one is only 30mm? I don't really know how exactly filters workg- is this how airflow is increased, by reducing the size of the filter? 

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

It really will not increase the airflow and when choked / dirty it will reduce the flow.

So use if you want but do not bother cleaning it to get value for the money wasted buying a K&N for anything other than using in Wet or Dusty conditions.

Hey, at least I didn't buy a full intake kit 😂

What about what other people reported that it might increase the flow of debris compared to a paper filter? 

I know this may be silly but imagine the engine won't last that wee bit longer only due to fitting a panel filter 😩

If K&N really knackered engines there would be a whole string of lawsuits siting them.

Fit it. Forget it. If you have the cleaning solution and the oil then use it. If not then just buy a paper panel next time and sling the K&N or just sell it on FB Marketplace. You'll probably make a profit.

A paper Mann Filter is £10 from Eurocarparts.

K&N type filters only really suit high-flow/high revving petrol engines, and only then it is marginal.

On 25/01/2022 at 17:00, Golf-Fiend said:

If K&N really knackered engines there would be a whole string of lawsuits siting them.

Fit it. Forget it. If you have the cleaning solution and the oil then use it. If not then just buy a paper panel next time and sling the K&N or just sell it on FB Marketplace. You'll probably make a profit.

A paper Mann Filter is £10 from Eurocarparts.

K&N type filters only really suit high-flow/high revving petrol engines, and only then it is marginal.

Fair enough!

I'm just a bit paranoid when it comes to cars, can't always help it 😆 

Thank you