Throttle Body options

Raker

Hi all. 

Throttle body on the Fabby 1.0 tsi has given up with loss of power and lumpy idle.  Is there anywhere people can recommend I purchase a new one other than the dealer? Or is genuine the way to go? 

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Do you have EPC or other fault lights lit?  What fault codes?

Hey!  Yes.  EPC and engine management light plus the stop start message. Code is P155800 and is giving throttle valve drive - electrical error in circuit.  On shutting engine down, there a dreadful clicking from the throttle. 

Hmm, seems like they've got a spring  inside that can break: FABIA III 2737 - Throttle Actuator (G186) P1558 00 [167] - Electrical Malfunction | Ross-Tech Forums

I'd be tempted to give GSF or similar a ring and see what they can supply in the way of aftermarket. The genuine ones will be crazy expensive from a dealer, and have apparently been engineered poorly.

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Hmm, seems like they've got a spring  inside that can break: FABIA III 2737 - Throttle Actuator (G186) P1558 00 [167] - Electrical Malfunction | Ross-Tech Forums

I'd be tempted to give GSF or similar a ring and see what they can supply in the way of aftermarket. The genuine ones will be crazy expensive from a dealer, and have apparently been engineered poorly.

'Kin hell!  £430 from the stealer!  I can't believe that!  It's only 4 years old!  Hell's teeth.....

These people:

www.bba-reman.com/

re-manufacture all kinds of car parts.

They do throttle bodies, although I can't see any mentioned for Fabia, it might well be worth a phone call.

I have no association with them, but remembered them from years ago, in my "FIAT" days.

• Love it! 1

18 hours ago, Wino said:

And mine in recognition.

Might be a Dxxx engine code though, in which case possibly different. @Raker are you still there?

Sorry guys, still here and thanks for the help so far.  It's a 04C133062D part which I've taken straight off the body itself.  The car may be an engine code CHZC?  

I think that's what I can tell from the handbook sticker. 

18 hours ago, johnh510 said:

These people:

www.bba-reman.com/

re-manufacture all kinds of car parts.

They do throttle bodies, although I can't see any mentioned for Fabia, it might well be worth a phone call.

I have no association with them, but remembered them from years ago, in my "FIAT" days.

Worth a look.  Thanks.  😊

2 hours ago, Wino said:

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/category/car-parts/search/04c133062d

Still a mad price, but better than your dealer, if they honour it.

This comes up based on the part number and it's the same manufacturer.  

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/magneti-marelli-12827479.html

Weirdly though it says it's not compatible with the 1.0 110bhp??!

I'd avoid such outlets based on their search engines often being as good (not!) as ECP's, and that they are Berlin based so returns of mis-supplied goods can be painful/expensive.

Weirdly, the only reference I can see in ETKA to that part number you've found is on the CHYx series engines, so a double-check of your engine code would be good, e.g. see this page, item 8

LLLParts

There may well be bad data in ETKA, of course.

Other-weirdly is that when I just navigated a different way to that same part number on the LLL site, it's cheaper than when I looked earlier!:  Volkswagen / Seat / Skoda Throttle Valve Control Element 04C133062D - LLLParts

May be an idea to give them a bell and talk to a human.

I suppose there's the faintest possibility that ETKA is right, your car should have the suffix-C part, and they mis-built a suffix-D onto it!

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

According to skoda-parts.com the D suffic part is for turboless MPI engines and not TSI

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/04c133062d-throttle-valve-32698.html

Would a session on ERWIN reveal the correct part?

You can phone, email or message Skoda-parts.com and they will check against your VIN

https://www.skoda-parts.com/contact.html

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Thanks all.  

The plot thickens I guess!  I just called up Skoda to check the part number and lo and behold he confirmed that the part should be ending C and not D.  

I'm expecting a call back from the Service Manager to find out why there's a D sitting on my unusable engine.

We'll see what happens - at the end of the day, there's 2 types for a reason.

I'll keep you posted.

25 minutes ago, xman said:

According to skoda-parts.com the D suffic part is for turboless MPI engines and not TSI

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/04c133062d-throttle-valve-32698.html

Would a session on ERWIN reveal the correct part?

You can phone, email or message Skoda-parts.com and they will check against your VIN

https://www.skoda-parts.com/contact.html

Message pinged off to them with the deets....

3 hours ago, Wino said:

Erwin doesn't include parts info AFAIK.

Dealer can't explain why the D is on the car and not the C. They're sending a quote for repair with a possible gesture of goodwill included.  See how that goes.... 

Interesting. Please let us know the outcome.

Any other owners with CHZC-code (1.0 110bhp) engines in Fabias of similar age want to have a look at the throttle body part number on theirs??

I think it's easy to see on top surface, just near electrical connector, right @Raker?

Edited by Wino

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Interesting. Please let us know the outcome.

Any other owners with CHZC-code (1.0 110bhp) engines in Fabias of similar age want to have a look at the throttle body part number on theirs??

I think it's easy to see on top surface, just near electrical connector, right @Raker?

Yes - that's right.  :)

Interesting update - they've offered up to a 70% goodwill gesture on a total job cost of £690 inc VAT.  So £283.56 for the part and fitting. 

However, here's what the contribution depends on:

The contribution amount depends on the actual “Reception / or diagnosis date” and exact mileage at that time. The Reception date is the date the fault is diagnosed and the exact mileage recorded at the dealer via VWG diagnostic equipment and saved on line for warranty and audit purposes.

The goodwill amount offered will decrease over time as the vehicle age and mileage increases, but by how much and when we have no way of telling, so in short the quicker a diagnosis is confirmed at the dealer and any contribution secured, the better.

Basically, the car hasn't moved since my wife drove it back to the house upon which I called to get recovery to local dealer only to find out we were out of cover.  I guess if I can get the car to them ASAP somehow and get it diagnosed I should get the full 70% hopefully.  I call bull**** on the by how much and when sentence, frankly.  The fact that they've responded today and with such a large goodwill percentage implies that they've cocked up somewhere along the line and have fitted the wrong part to my car from factory.

I'll keep you updated.....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

I should think fitting might take getting on for 5 minutes...They sh/would probably do an adaptation of the engine ECU subsequently which would add another 3 minutes.

Yes - they've budgeted for that adaptation too:

Labour diagnosis £85

Labour to replace and adapt new unit £127.50 (!!!!!!!)

Throttle valve £342.67 (quoted me £430 on the phone)

Gaskets and fixings required approx.  £20

Total £575.17 + vat @ 20% = £690.20

• Groan 1