Wiring Diagrams

Is there any other place other than irWin Online I can get wiring diagrams for a Superb MK2 ? Every time I try and buy an hours printing I get an error message I've also tried using a different browser.

All the electrics have failed to my 2 passenger doors Mirror, door locks, windows so I'm assuming that there must be a common earth for all these functions but where is it?

erWin Online.JPG

erWin Online 001.JPG

I  had a failure of drivers rear door not working and checked every wire in harness for earth and continuity 

The failure was on the drivers door wiring harness it has the master door control module in it that powers the other 3 doors 

Drove me crazy

Also for wiring diagrams you can use Haynes Online for about £26

Just now, DEL80Y said:

I  had a failure of drivers rear door not working and checked every wire in harness for earth and continuity 

The failure was on the drivers door wiring harness it has the master door control module in it that powers the other 3 doors 

Drove me crazy

The offside doors work fine. None of the passenger doors functions work, they won't lock and the windows won't come down, The OS mirror won't adjust or fold in. None of the courtesy lights come on and neither do any of the door switches illuminate. With all the passenger door circuits not working I've assumed it must be a common earth? But where to find it? There were no relevant error codes when I used VDCS yesterday.

Check the drivers door loom in the rubber grommet

This powers all the other 3 doors 

dont just look for broken insulation as i had 1 wire broken inside but looked perfect on the insulation

So continuity from Multi plug to inside of door loom on each wire on drivers side 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEL80Y said:

Check the drivers door loom in the rubber grommet

This powers all the other 3 doors 

dont just look for broken insulation as i had 1 wire broken inside but looked perfect on the insulation

So continuity from Multi plug to inside of door loom on each wire on drivers side 

Good call DEL80Y👍 I found 1 broken wire to the drivers door. Also found one with a cut/cracked insulation.  Not to say there aren't anymore? I couldn't see any other damaged wires on the other doors.

I assume the rubber grommet/sleeve pulls inside the door? Which should make access easier to solder any broken wires.

I started taking the drivers door card off, could only see 2 torx headed screws along the bottom edge. It started to get dark and the door card was taking some prising off so sooner than break something left it for today.

20220128_151954.jpg

Edited by Derbyshirebod
  • Like 1

There are plenty of people who have had the same issue on here 

1. repair solder extend 

2. replace whole loom

3. use the repair plug kit with short wires from eBay to replace the whole loom from multiplug to inside the door. 
Please do a search some of the threads were recent. 

Mine was replaced within the last few years by the dealer. Started with maxidot not seeing the door open or closed. The door locks stopped drivers and passenger followed by some of the windows inoperable. 

Hope you manage to sort it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Hope you manage to sort it 

There is an automotive wiring supplier fairly local to me where I can buy everything I need to repair the loom.

The only issue I've got at the moment is removing the door card.

Thanks Gav, yes I've seen some of those posts already. Though maybe I haven't got the hang of the search function? As it never seems very easy to find hings I'm looking for?

I can't believe only having one broken wire in the drivers door loom that I've lost all the functions on the N/S doors?  So maybe there are more damaged wires? As DEL8OY has previously mentioned he's found broken wires where the insulation is still intact IIRC.  I've now noticed that the insulation is quite brittle on most of the front door loom wires and found a crack in the insulation on one wire in the loom to the front N/S passenger door. The rear door wires are probably not far behind though guess that they are likely to last longer as I rarely have passengers so the wires aren't being made to flex as often.

I'll buy several meters of the correct wire gauge and these type of connectors from this supplier who is local to me though aren't open till Monday otherwise I'd have gone today.

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-60-terminals/c-205-heat-shrink-pre-insulated-terminals/p-510-red-heat-shrink-solder-butt-connector , 

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-60-terminals/c-205-heat-shrink-pre-insulated-terminals/p-511-blue-heat-shrink-solder-butt-connector

I'll replace all the wires in the front door looms for new more flexible wire. I've seen the kits on Ebay but at around £30 a door is more than I want to pay and I've currently got the time as I'm between jobs. I appreciate for a garage to source a repair kit as it's probably the quickest cheapest option for the customer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the broken wire went to the central locking switch so I never noticed which door wasn't locking / unlocking as I tend to use the remote. Out of the 13 wires that go to the drivers door 7 were damaged including the broken wire which had additional cracking to the insulation which felt brittle. On the two largest 2.5mm² wires you can see marks where I assume they have been rubbing against others wires. I guess the wiring to the other 3 doors will be in a similar condition.

20220208_130656.jpg

20220211_134446.jpg

20220211_134231.jpg

Edited by Derbyshirebod

Yow will find the other doors to be ok as the drivers door is the one getting used most

Mines was a taxi for 3 years and all other doors were ok which I was suprised at because they get opened more than my drivers door

2 hours ago, DEL80Y said:

Yow will find the other doors to be ok as the drivers door is the one getting used most

Mines was a taxi for 3 years and all other doors were ok which I was suprised at because they get opened more than my drivers door

I have my suspicions that mine was used as taxi. I got some paperwork with the car and some of the invoices for spare parts were addressed to a business. When I Googled it came back as a private car taxi firm. Also the car had vinyl seat covers which I thought were covering up damaged / worn seats. On removing the covers I found the black suede leather seats are in quite good condition despite the high mileage of the car. 

When I said that neither of the N/S door functions work that wasn't strictly true as today I've checked and both the N/S door speakers are working. When I bought the car the N/S door mirror was working as were the doors locking.

20220128_114035.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derbyshirebod said:

I have my suspicions that mine was used as taxi. I got some paperwork with the car and some of the invoices for spare parts were addressed to a business. When I Googled it came back as a private car taxi firm. Also the car had vinyl seat covers which I thought were covering up damaged / worn seats. On removing the covers I found the black suede leather seats are in quite good condition despite the high mileage of the car. 

When I said that neither of the N/S door functions work that wasn't strictly true as today I've checked and both the N/S door speakers are working. When I bought the car the N/S door mirror was working as were the doors locking.

20220128_114035.jpg

Pretty sure taxi drivers buy those bespoke leather seat covers for cabs @DEL80Y?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEL80Y said:

yeah they are "Pish Catchers"😉

Mines are perforated leather so it just drains through😆

Yep easy to clean deposits of bodily fluid from. Not so comfortable if you sit on them too long as they don't breath!  Couldn't use the rear center arm rest either.

On 27/01/2022 at 21:53, DEL80Y said:

I can't see any wiring diagrams other than for grounding points, fuses & relay locations which isn't very accurate. Wasted my money IMO buying an online manual.

• Like 1

I've still got the same issue with both N/S doors not working. Though have now found the earth cable to the N/S front door has broken. Can also see the positive cable insulation is cracked. I can understand why none of the door functions aren't working but why would that affect all the rear door functions? I've not checked the wiring for that door yet. It would be good to have sight of detailec wiring diagrams.

20220218_130057.jpg

• Like 1

The master controller is in the drivers door, any signals to operate the rear door locks, windows etc go via the master controller and I think that is the case even when you operate the rear door handle or the window up/down switch on the rear door.

Editted, As your car is RHD then the above does not make sense, could you possibly have a broken wire on the drivers door loop or perhaps a corroded contact on the drivers door controller?

Spoiler

Why doesn't the LH front passenger door not working not make sense? The main earth wire is broken as in the photo. The window and neither does the mirror work or any of the illuminated door switches. Why the rear passenger door lock or window don't work is less clear but I've not looked at that yet. 

Having wiring diagrams would have been helpful hence buying the Haynes online manual which unfortunately doesn't have wiring diagrams 😞 

Both offside doors functions work. I've already replaced all 13 wires on the drivers door loom as previously detailed in this thread. Out of the 13 wires 7 had damaged insulation one of these was also broken. Which was one of the wires going to the central locking switch.  

The cable insulation has lost its plasticity on most of the cables it seems.

I've now found the reason for the heated rear window not working another broken wire where the tailgate hinges. I had to pull of all the foam stuck to the wire to find it.

I've now repaired that wire with a fresh length of cable in the area where it bends and put it inside some small diameter corrugated cable tidy. There are more wires on the LH side of the tailgate and there is less room for the cables which are all tapped to the corrugated washer feed pipe so I'm assuming none of these wires are damaged because the can't flex as much? Hence my reasoning for using the cable tidy on the other side.

20220214_163127.jpg

20220214_163134.jpg

Edited by Derbyshirebod
  • Like 1