Oil Pressure Switch Malfunction

Hi

Got a Skoda Octavia mk3 vrs estate 2015

when driving from cold up hill so under a bit of load the coil light flashes and it loses power, i can switch the engine off and back on and it clears until a couple minutes later it does it again until the car is warmed up.

Once warm i put my foot down when the revs are around 3000, it does it again, straight into limp mode
Had this fault stored in VCDS 

5580 Oil pressure switch

P164B 00 (101) malfunction

Ive changed the pressure switch (the green one) but no difference, not sure if there is another switch somewhere, for higher pressure if that would work?

any ideas appreciated

Without engine code I'm guessing a bit, is it a CKFC engine? See my signature for a thread link describing how to find this if you don't know already.

If so there's another switch known as F378 "Oil pressure switch for reduced oil pressure" possibly near the other one? Black/red and brown wires go to it.

Sorry engine code is CUPA.
Had a look and found a brown One with a red plug, black/green and brown wires. Must be that its close to the other and looks similar. Is there a way to test it, what would i be looking for? 

thanks

They usually switch from open (not conducting) to closed (conducting) when pressure is above the threshold they work at. Not near computer now to help further, but that does ring a bell as the right wiring colours for the other one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, Tried to source the brown one which is fitted and was told from my VIN that it was a grey one??

So from the research I've tried to do the brown one that is fitted 04L919081B operating range is 2.3 - 3.0 bar and the grey one 03N919081 is 2.0 - 2.7 bar. I'm sure the car runs at 2 bar normally.

I would prefer to install what came off the car, but does anyone know if the grey one is a revised or updated version? why are the ranges different? would the grey one not cause issues?

any help appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help gents i’ve changed the brown pressure switch earlier and seem to have sorted the issue as far as i can tell under the conditions i was experiencing it. Hopefully its sorted..

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 26/02/2022 at 15:12, MathewW said:

Thanks for the help gents i’ve changed the brown pressure switch earlier and seem to have sorted the issue as far as i can tell under the conditions i was experiencing it. Hopefully its sorted..

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, I’m experiencing the exact same symptoms as you had. Cold engine, going up a hill and the coil light pops up and the engine goes into limp mode. No problems though if the car is warmed up. 

Did you replace the brown plug like for like, or did you opt for the grey one that was recommended by Deutsche? I’ll need to have a look what I have fitted this week. 2014 VRS TDI, so sounds like it’s the same as yours. 

TIA, Rob. 

22 minutes ago, RobMac1 said:

Oprostite što kopam po staroj temi, imam potpuno iste simptome kao i vi. Hladan motor, penje se uzbrdo i žaruljica zavojnice se pali, a motor prelazi u način rada mlitavosti. Nema problema ako je auto zagrijan. 

Jeste li zamijenili smeđi čep za isti ili ste se odlučili za sivi koji je preporučio Deutsche? Morat ću pogledati što sam opremio ovaj tjedan. 2014 VRS TDI, pa zvuči kao da je isti kao tvoj. 

TIA, Rob. 

Maybe it doesn't matter what color it is, if your sensor has something like this sieve on top. I think the cause of the error is that there is sediment from the oil that closes the oil flow and the sensor and reports an error to the computer. I replaced that sensor, it was located in the front, it is easy to change. first I removed the propeller from the cooler to have easier access with the tool.

Screenshot_20230212-004212_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 23:25, RobMac1 said:

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, I’m experiencing the exact same symptoms as you had. Cold engine, going up a hill and the coil light pops up and the engine goes into limp mode. No problems though if the car is warmed up. 

Did you replace the brown plug like for like, or did you opt for the grey one that was recommended by Deutsche? I’ll need to have a look what I have fitted this week. 2014 VRS TDI, so sounds like it’s the same as yours. 

TIA, Rob. 

Hi

I replaced like for like, reason being, the pressure switch ranges are different between the brown, that is fitted, and the grey so opted for what came off incase there was a reason.

Think the part number was 04L 919 081 B, got it from LLLparts

I used a deep socket to do it from under the car, don't recall removing anything to get to it except the tray on the underside of the car, bit of a pain but do-able.

Cheers

Mathew

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2023 at 13:55, MathewW said:

Hi

I replaced like for like, reason being, the pressure switch ranges are different between the brown, that is fitted, and the grey so opted for what came off incase there was a reason.

Think the part number was 04L 919 081 B, got it from LLLparts

I used a deep socket to do it from under the car, don't recall removing anything to get to it except the tray on the underside of the car, bit of a pain but do-able.

Cheers

Mathew

I have similar issues. Recently going in to limp mode key out restart clears it then  maybe fine or may come on within half a mile.

Picking up an OBD2 just to check the codes.

Is this sensor easy to change? is it just a switch or are their any oil seals etc to replace too. Any coding required??

Any help appreciated

C