Need Park Assist PLA for side sensors?

SkodaNor

I’ve got Park Assist and Area View on my Kodiaq. Never used the automated parking feature, but I very much enjoy the sensors beeping when I get close to something on the sides, like in narrow parking houses. It’s a big and bulky car.

I never really thought about this not being in one of the packs they’ve offered with the Enyaq all along, but now that they have introduced Park Assist, I started to wonder. Do you need Park Assist for the car to have sensors on the sides that beep when you get close to stuff? If so, I may have to add that to my order.

Edited by SkodaNor

Yes, number of sensors vary

Basic rear parking sensors normally has 4 on Skoda models

If front sensors added then similar at front

The corner ones (by wheel arch) at front only part of park assist

From memory the rear side ones are also fitted if there is blind spot or cross traffic assist fitted 

I ordered the Enyaq before PLA was available, so the order (no build date yet) has front and rear sensors.

Now that PLA has become available, it’s an option I can add, which includes more sensors. Do these two images from the Enyaq and Kodiaq user manuals demonstrate the difference with and without PLA?

The first is from the Enyaq manual where the sensors cover front and rear. The last from the Kodiq manual, where sensors also cover the sides.

8325F290-1BAC-4EC4-ACD2-6824F7E32BED.png

B1D48E52-079A-497E-98EA-C57CADB266B0.png

6 hours ago, SkodaNor said:

I ordered the Enyaq before PLA was available, so the order (no build date yet) has front and rear sensors.

Now that PLA has become available, it’s an option I can add, which includes more sensors. Do these two images from the Enyaq and Kodiaq user manuals demonstrate the difference with and without PLA?

The first is from the Enyaq manual where the sensors cover front and rear. The last from the Kodiq manual, where sensors also cover the sides.

8325F290-1BAC-4EC4-ACD2-6824F7E32BED.png

B1D48E52-079A-497E-98EA-C57CADB266B0.png

Yes - that is the difference between without and with PLA right there.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2022 at 23:21, SkodaNor said:

I very much enjoy the sensors beeping when I get close to something on the sides.

Really? Were you not taught how to judge and negotiate widths when you had driving lessons? I am driven mad by the constant bleeping as I leave my garage and then pass between brick gate posts to access the road. I've been doing this for 40 years and never needed electronic assistance before. Honestly, the car seems scared stiff of obstacles and other cars. So un-necessary - as is Park Assist; much quicker to do it yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2022 at 19:59, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Really? Were you not taught how to judge and negotiate widths when you had driving lessons? I am driven mad by the constant bleeping as I leave my garage and then pass between brick gate posts to access the road. I've been doing this for 40 years and never needed electronic assistance before. Honestly, the car seems scared stiff of obstacles and other cars. So un-necessary - as is Park Assist; much quicker to do it yourself.

I am able to negotiate widths and had a car without a single sensors for 15 years, but that doesn't mean I won't get help from sensors. Kids running around suddenly somehwere I'm not watching.

If you don't need any electronic assistance, that's fine, but that doesn't mean we're all as good as you. It's not so much to avoid running into other cars and buildings as it is avoiding people, animals or something else moving. If anything, I'm happy that people in other cars get more sensors since I have no control over what they are doing in the car. If having the sensors prevents a single accident during the car's lifetime, it's worth all the beeping. I trust the sensors more than every driver out there, even if they have a perfect track record.

Every year, cars get more electronics to make the roads safer, and I believe that to be a good thing, even if we have to listen to some beeping. I don't think the manufacturers and regulators add more safety systems for fun.

Park Assist is another story, and if people want such a feature, that's not a problem for you is it?

Edited by SkodaNor
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SkodaNor said:

I am able to negotiate widths and had a car without a single sensors for 15 years, but that doesn't mean I won't get help from sensors. Kids running around suddenly somehwere I'm not watching.

If you don't need any electronic assistance, that's fine, but that doesn't mean we're all as good as you. It's not so much to avoid running into other cars and buildings as it is avoiding people, animals or something else moving. If anything, I'm happy that people in other cars get more sensors since I have no control over what they are doing in the car. If having the sensors prevents a single accident during the car's lifetime, it's worth all the beeping. I trust the sensors more than every driver out there, even if they have a perfect track record.

Every year, cars get more electronics to make the roads safer, and I believe that to be a good thing, even if we have to listen to some beeping. I don't think the manufacturers and regulators add more safety systems for fun.

Park Assist is another story, and if people want such a feature, that's not a problem for you is it?

I agree 110% about the sensors preventing accidents. They are incredible. We had a pretty high spec Honda CR-V a few years ago with all the driver assist and safety features available at the time and were involved in two crashes (we lived in Southern California…..they really are not good drivers). In one, the car realised the absolute ****show that was about to unfold around my wife who was 8 months pregnant at the time. It applied the brakes and pretensioned the seatbelts etc. when it detected an imminent collision with the cars in front. Apparently a biker had come off at high speed in wet weather and he and the bike went into different lanes causing everyone to jam on and a huge pile up to occur. My wife (and unborn baby) walked away without a scratch but other people weren’t as fortunate. If you don’t use the sensors on a day to day basis, that’s great, but it’s nice to have them when you do need them! 

• Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 12:21, SkodaNor said:

We are not going to agree on this but, of course, I respect your point of view. Make the roads safer? Quite the opposite as drivers are distracted by the need to fiddle with the multi-layered menus on their Infotainment screens. As for manufacturers adding stuff for fun. Maybe not for fun but I can believe that 20-something computer-whizzkids  like to show how clever they are by inventing features we never knew we needed and have been quite happy (and safe) without them so far. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2022 at 18:59, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Apologies for butting in on the Enyaq forum as I don't own one, I do however have experience of park assist. I too have been driving for nearly 40 years and held exactly the same view as you when it was on the Fords I owned. I didn't specify it on our Karoq but the ex-demo Octavia I bought already had it fitted. I found it so useful that I specified it on the Kodiaq. 

If the bleeps annoy me whilst say driving in / out a garage, I push a button to silence them, so that's certainly not a pain. But to use one example just last night, I was reversing up a winding drive in pitch black when the sensors went off and as above, the display was showing an object at the side of the car - it was one of those lamp posts that line driveways only the bulb wasn't lit so I didn't see it.  If the sensor hadn't sounded I'd have woken up to a scratch along the driver and/or passenger door this morning.

Another thing ( the reason why I bought PA ) My alloys are as new - not a scratch which is something I can't say for the cars I owned without PA. And when I visit garages and walk along the road, I'd say at least 90% of all cars I see have marked alloys. 

As for Blind Spot Monitoring - don't quote me on this but I was under the impression other sensors (hidden behind the rear bumper) deal with that. It's not part if the PA system.

Best system of the whole lot though is rear traffic assist which IMO should be mandatory on every car sold. Doesn't matter if you have 20/20 vision or your taught Lewis Hamilton to drive, fact is that if you're in a parking bay with two Vans or SUV's alongside, or even if you're reversing out a garage, you can't see what's approaching from each side so you're 100% relying on that car / person / child / cyclist / motorcyclist seeing you reverse. Rear Cross Traffic makes you aware of a potential threat and if that threat gets too close, it'll apply the brakes. They've made it mandatory for cars to brake when I'm looking out the frig'n window in front of me, but it's not mandatory for when I can't see out the rear quarter windows. There' no logic to that.