Dash issues/fuel/revs... error codes?

Turned the ignition to point one a couple of days ago, and noticed the fuel gauge flicking back and forth a few mm trying to get up. 

Started the engine, all good. Went for a 10-15 min drive, then parked up. 

Next time I started the motor, no fuel gauge, no revs, nothing, for about 5-7 seconds, then suddenly all was well again. Parked up for an hour, flicked the ignition to point one again, and the fuel gauge suffered the same issue.

It's not done it every time though and today for instance is alright. 

I've only got the shareware version of vcds lite, but have had the following returned....

00562 -  Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
        29-10 -  Short to Ground - Intermittent
00667 - Ambient Temperature Signal
       30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent 

01176 - Key Signal to low
        07-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

I'm at a bit of a loss where to start. Could the key battery be causing an issue with the immobilizer hence the dash problem? Wouldn't explain the engine starting no bother though surely?

Wondering if I've got ground issues, but again, where to start troubleshooting that initially based on the above? Could it be a fuse on it's way out too? 

The battery in the fob has absolutely nothing to do with the immobiliser it's only for the central locking, the weak signal is often caused when you have too many other keys on the same keyring so blocking the RFID signal from the chip in the fob or the read coil around the ignition switch is being shielded by the extra keys 

Damn, I'm none the wiser then. I've cleared the faults down and need to have a decent drive this weekend so will see what returns.

Hoping I've not got a wet electrics issue given the other short ground. I'd part ruled out the immobilizer side because the engine did start. 

Only thing that's knowingly changed recently was a replacement starter so part of the battery box was stripped out for that.

The instrument panel and oil temp etc. Doesn't flow through the driver's door control unit does it? 

dry solder joints on the instrument cluster pcb has been an issue for some in the past, so its not unheard of, but from memory it usually took out the whole dash. that said, it may be it. 

or it could be the fuel level sender is dying or a short on that circuit. i dont k ow if that would affect starting though 🤔 

That's what's strange @mac11irl, it always starts without issue. The other codes have remained clear too after a couple of hours of driving, I did find a couple of HVAC flap issues that were cleared and have remained fine too. No wet in the passenger side either. 

I have a minor water leak in the boot that I keep cleaning up. The drivers side door has always been an issue on and off, but aside from that the car runs great. 

I'll try and get a video of it doing it when I next go for a run, if you imagine the fuel gauge trying to move up but jumping back and forth about 2mm then eventually goes up. Then the other couple of times, I've just had no dials, but the mileage etc have remained. Wait 5-7 seconds then everything jumps to life. 

I'm tempted to reseat the dash cables but want to avoid removing it if I have to in case it then needs resetting etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

So been out for a good couple of hours today, nothing has faltered, then I thought, I've not used the Aircon. 

Did 3-4 trips, soon as I started the 4th I whacked the Aircon on for 20-30 mins. Pulled up after that, shut everything off, stopped the car. 

Gave it 20-30 seconds, flicked the ignition on and low and behold, the issue with the gauge occured. 

Really wanting to say it's being caused by the/is HVAC related. Question is, no idea where to start on that front now given where water could be gathering, possibly evaporating and causing issues in the dash.