2015 Yeti - Brake Light Bulb replacement

malpaso

The manual says P21W if not the led type. The led type it says that the brake and parking lights are integrated into the housing and not individually replaceable,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aubrey said:

The led type it says that the brake and parking lights are integrated into the housing and not individually replaceable,

The price of progress.....LED lights should "last the life of the car" but probably won't (I'm already replacing led bulbs in the house which were advertised as lasting 25 years at about 5-7 years) and then it's a second mortgage for replacements rather than a couple of pounds at the local motor factors. (Am I the only one that cynically believes "lifetime" is manufacturer code for "about two weeks out of warranty"?).   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that led life is taken as the led being switched on and left on for the stated period. Being switched on and off shortens the life.

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

I think that led life is taken as the led being switched on and left on for the stated period. Being switched on and off shortens the life.

I wouldn't disagree with you but isn't that the argument for not using LEDs for brake lights? - their function guarantees they will be switched on and off multiple times on each and every journey so hastening their demise and an expensive replacement and apparently the creation of unnecessary plastic waste if you have to throw out the whole housing rather than a small glass and metal bulb. It seems another example of "we have the technology, we must use it whether appropriate or not. A good few contributors to this forum will be old enough to remember "If it ain't broke don't fix it". (This of course did not apply to The Plumber and others who took to pieces perfectly good Yetis so they could help the rest of us fix ours when the time came!!)

• Like 4