SUPERB SE L EXECUTIVE TDI 2015 - Driver's side rear led tail light issue

HLJ80

Model: SUPERB SE L EXECUTIVE TDI - 2015

Hello all

First time poster so apologies if in the wrong place.

I have a Superb Mk3 SE L Executive and 2 weeks ago I got a warning light on the display to check the drivers side rear tail light.

I inspected it and couldn't find anything wrong:

• all LED lights were working and on (both the outer and inner section)
  • reverse light working
  • brake light working
  • indicator working

This week however, the LED tail lights have stopped working on both the inner and outer sections. Brake, reverse, and indicator all still work.

Any ideas?

Fuse?

• but are the LED strips on a different fuse to the other lights?
  • The passenger side works fine. Are they on different fuses?
  • Anyone know which fuse it is as can't see taillights listed in any fuse manual

Seems weird both the inner and out would go at the same time and weirder still that they worked despite the warning light coming on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What OBD reader have you ordered - a lot will read very basic engine stuff, nothing else.

Looks like a fairly comprehensive one. If it doesn't work ill just send back and get a reading from the local mechanic.

1 hour ago, HLJ80 said:

Looks like a fairly comprehensive one. If it doesn't work ill just send back and get a reading from the local mechanic.

Brand, model? If its a handheld thing, its not gonna read anything, dont waste your time and money

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HLJ80 said:

Hello all

I have a Superb Mk3 SE L Executive and 2 weeks ago I got a warning light on the display to check the drivers side rear tail light.

• reverse light working
  • brake light working
  • indicator working

This week however, the LED tail lights have stopped working on both the inner and outer sections. Brake, reverse, and indicator all still work.

Any ideas?

Fuse?

• Anyone know which fuse it is as can't see taillights listed in any fuse manual

Seems weird both the inner and out would go at the same time and weirder still that they worked despite the warning light coming on.

Just had the same problem with my 2021 SEL intermittently affecting Passenger side tail light LEDs.  Diagnostics by dealer referred to Skoda as being fixed under warranty. Skoda have recommended replacement of a control module. Dealer is less certain and thinks it may be a faulty light cluster. Control module has been replaced so time will tell.

On 15/02/2022 at 22:23, HLJ80 said:

Hello all

• reverse light working
  • brake light working
  • indicator working

Any ideas?

Fuse?

I know I have replied in other post but...

Inner only works if outer does...

• reverse light working
  • brake light working
  • indicator working

These are bog standard bulbs, not LEDs...

Any ideas?

Fuse?

Yes, one fuse for one side, another for the other - behind glove box. They control both the front and rear - do if your front lights are working, it's not the fuse...

• Anyone know which fuse it is as can't see taillights listed in any fuse manual.

I can try and remember if it helps, but if front lights are on you know fuse is good.

•  

UPDATE

• No error codes re: light
  • Removed Right outer (the non working one)
  • Some water inside
  • Removed left outer (working) and plugged into right side - Worked fine

So water ingress it is rather than faulty wiring or fuse.

Will be ordering a replacement and will post results.

Many thanks all who contributed.

On 16/02/2022 at 21:36, mfm959 said:

Just had the same problem with my 2021 SEL intermittently affecting Passenger side tail light LEDs.  Diagnostics by dealer referred to Skoda as being fixed under warranty. Skoda have recommended replacement of a control module. Dealer is less certain and thinks it may be a faulty light cluster. Control module has been replaced so time will tell.

Still having intermittent fault despite replacement control module. Due in for replacement light clusters on wing and hatch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.  I have a 2019 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI SEL.  I have an intermittent LED light fault on the rear passenger side.  When I bought the car, I was told that the fault had been fixed.  Two days later, the warning appeared on the dash and the rear left light was out.  Turned the engine off and back on again, light was working fine.  The same thing happened again a few more times and Skoda replaced the light units (outer and inner) under warranty.  Two months later, the intermittent fault is back.  Sometimes the warning appears and the light is working fine.  Sometimes just the outer light is out, sometimes both outer and inner light.  Recently just one part of the outer light was left on.  Sometimes you can turn the engine off and on and it will clear the fault.  Other times the fault stays on but is gone later in the day.  I’m not sure whether it’s just coincidental but washing the car resulted in the fault occurring and it took a few hours for the light to function again properly.  It occurred again when light rain was followed by a cold frost.  It was then fine for a few weeks until a heavy downpour resulted in the same fault appearing.  When I think back, water/periods of wet weather has occurred the same day or the previous night approx 70% of the time.  Skoda now want to book the car in for 3 days for further tests.  The unit shows no sign of water ingress.  The boot is always bone dry.

I hope replacing the light fixes your problem but it didn’t work for me.  

• 7 months later...

Update: the issue was finally resolved when the dealer replaced the outer light unit.  I was previously lead to believe this had been done, however, I discovered that they had in fact only replaced the inner light!  5 months so far with no issues.

• 2 months later...

Realised I did not post an end her.

On closer inspection, the seal around the transparent out and the black backing of the light cluster had a small hole at one end leading to water ingress which had killed the LEDs.

Purchased a replacement light cluster and fitted and all perfect.