How do you change a xenon bulb?

Walder

Totally confused my usual bible of YouTube shows a circle cover you twist off in my case i do not have that luxury. 

Can anyone advise where it is? Or a how to for it? 

I cant upload a picture due to the size of the one i took

But it appesrs in line with where the bulb would be there is a metal plate held by three screws and a red electrical warning sticker at the rear of the headlight housing. 

Its a 2015 170 estate. 

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, Walder said:

Totally confused my usual bible of YouTube shows a circle cover you twist off in my case i do not have that luxury. 

Can anyone advise where it is? Or a how to for it? 

I cant upload a picture due to the size of the one i took

But it appesrs in line with where the bulb would be there is a metal plate held by three screws and a red electrical warning sticker at the rear of the headlight housing. 

Its a 2015 170 estate. 

Thanks in advance 

Unfortunately the easy access in YouTube video is with a pre-facelift car.  For a facelift car like yours you need to remove bumper to gain access to remove headlamps to in turn access the bulbs so rather than a 2 minute job it becomes a 2 hour job.  Also note bulbs are different, facelift needs D3S whereas earlier cars use D1S

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrCorbyLee said:

Unfortunately the easy access in YouTube video is with a pre-facelift car.  For a facelift car like yours you need to remove bumper to gain access to remove headlamps to in turn access the bulbs so rather than a 2 minute job it becomes a 2 hour job.  Also note bulbs are different, facelift needs D3S whereas earlier cars use D1S

Cheers i dare say if it is the whole front has to come off ill leave it to my mechanic as much as it pains me to have a light bulb changed.

I just know i will l fit the bumper back on back to front or end up with 1/3 of the screws still in my hand when I'm finished 🤣

On that note any recommendations for D3S bulbs? As if it requires this much work ill get both changed at the same time. 

58 minutes ago, Walder said:

Cheers i dare say if it is the whole front has to come off ill leave it to my mechanic as much as it pains me to have a light bulb changed.

I just know i will l fit the bumper back on back to front or end up with 1/3 of the screws still in my hand when I'm finished 🤣

On that note any recommendations for D3S bulbs? As if it requires this much work ill get both changed at the same time. 

Same here, used a local VW indy specialiast to change the bulbs which shows the absurdity of the design as although xenon bulbs are long life they won't last the life of the car so somewhere down the line the user will have to change them.  That's where my 2 hour figure came from.  He was happy to fit my free-issue bulbs.  Whatever you do, don't go to Skoda main dealer to get this done, I was quoted almost 700 quid (albeit for labour and bulbs) for the job, I swear they must have been planning on taking out the engine and gearbox to gain access!

Bulbs I used were standard Osram OEM spec from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007A0UW2E/, currently 45 quid each and when I just looked were available for same day delivery if you have Amazon Prime.  These were absolutely identical to the old bulbs (which must have been factory originals as I've owned the car since it was 3 months old) which didn't actually have any Skoda or VW part numbers on them, just the Osram markings.  Don't be tempted to buy these bulbs from anwhere that isn't an official Osram distributor as lots of counterfeit bulbs out there.  You can get upgraded output versions for slightly more but there's no such thing as a free lunch here, increased output also gives decreased life.  When I first got the car the headlights were the best I'd ever experienced but it turns out that Xenon bulbs deteriorate slowly with time and output drops off until the point you start to think old age has robbed you of your night vision.  I have seen a manufacturer recommend that they are routinely changed every 3 years (but then they would say that wouldn't they 😉 In fairness mine had done 110K over 8 years so couldn't complain too much.  As there was nothing inherently wrong with the headlamps saw no reason to upgrade the bulbs although YMMV.  Proved right as with new bulbs the difference was like night and day (pardon the pun).  Cost 200 quid for bulbs and labour which hurt (especially as in same month also needed new front wishbone bushes, new discs and pads all round, new rear caliper and 6th service 😞 but definitely worth it to make driving at night a far more pleasant experience

Even if you are considering changing bulb because one has failed rather than because of reduced output, it's definitely a good idea to change both bulbs at the same time as if one has failed then the other is likely not far behind and the last thing you want to do is change the failed bulb and then have to pay a second lot of labour to change a 2nd failed bulb somewhere down the line.

• 1 month later...