Undecided.

Bogart

Joined a while back with intention of replacing current vehicle. Has now been decided for me as was written off last Thursday. Guy has admitted was his fault, trying to adjust his contact lens, one born every day.

So am now seriously needing to find something. Want to be driving the replacement hire car as little as possible.

So as before was tossing up between Octavia and Superb estates. Am not asking what is good in those, got a lot of helpful answers last time, more as what should I avoid? Any real lemon engines out there, same for gearboxes.

I am happy with any fuel and any gearbox.

21 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Is not this car somewhat underpowered?

Not in Norfolk 😁

On a serious note, by all accounts the 1.0 is a punchy little number, so while it'd seem more suited to a much smaller car, it reportedly does okay.  Load it up with five adults, luggage, a roofbox and go on holiday to the Peak District and I expect it might struggle a bit.

Gaz

Ah so no good fro trips to the tip loaded with allsorts😄 On my previous posts about this topic was told the 1.2 is not a bad engine but nobody mention the 1.0 litre.

Any thoughts on the price discrepancy between the two sites?

Thanks

The 1.0 seems like a very small capacity for a car the size of an Octavia, but it does have 108 BHP which is much the same as previous engines with higher capacities. I have never driven the 1.0 but would feel more comfortable with at least a 1.5 petrol or a 1.6 diesel. I am very happy with the 2.0 litre 183 PS in my Scout. Going back to 1989 I had a Peugeot 405 petrol estate with 1.9 litres and 104 BHP, and that seemed perfectly fine at the time, even towing a caravan.

Looking at your previous posts I picked out two approved used cars for your shortlist:

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/octavia/estate-2017-15-tsi-150ps-act-se-l-dsg-k5ctlks

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/octavia/estate-16-tdi-115-ps-se-technology-dsg-nxb8pe3

These are both MK3 cars, and looking at some of the software problems that people on here seem to be having with the MK4 I would be a bit hesitant about going with the MK4 at the present time.

Thanks for the input. Never had a DSG box before but they seem popular on VAG vehicles. The 1st one you list is a bit odd in stated as a 2017 model on a 19 plate. I wonder what happened to 2018.

Seeing a 1.0 litre engine attached to a Octavia, and an estate at that, did get me wondering about performance, or lack of.

Not having sat in either an Octavia or Superb I cannot comment on how spacious either seems. Will have to venture out this week when my replacement hire car turns up.  I am used to vehicles with a fairly high commanding position

of the road and will not want one that sits low like my wife's Audi A4 . In that ones a**e feels inches off the road surface.

Now is many moons since I bought a car off a dealer and I know prices are high but what % figure should I be aiming for to get discounted for a cash sale?

Lots of more recent Octavias are listed as 2017, it seems to indicate that they are the facelifted version.  If you want to be sitting a bit higher up, maybe you should be considering an Octavia Scout, though it will use a bit more fuel than the standard car. It feels noticeably higher than our previous car which was a regular Octavia Mk2. The Scout is quite rare and you would need to look at a slightly older car, as the Scout was dropped from the range around 2018, there are facelifted Scouts in existence. There are a couple of 2016 Scouts on Autotrader, but I would advise caution, as the seller has received some bad reviews.

Prior to the MK2 Octavia I had a MK4 Mondeo estate and was a bit concerned that the Skoda would not be spacious enough, but I was keen on Skoda, and at that time (2007) the Superb did not exist as an estate. My concern turned out to be unfounded, and I find my present Octavia has plenty of load space, and suits me better than a Superb, as our driveway is a bit restricted. There is plenty of room in the back of the Octavia for our German Shepherd. I had a Karoq recently as a courtesy car, and the boot was noticeably smaller than that of the Octavia.

29 minutes ago, Bogart said:

I have lloked at the Kodiaq also but unsure. Always had LR 4x 4s

If you have narrowed it down to the Octavia, probably best to disregard the Kodiaq, but if you are still unsure no reason you can't try both, and see how you feel after that.

Trawling through all the ads but no joy yet. I find the trim levels not the easiest to get my head around. Should, in theory, be getting the hire car today so will trot off and have a look at some models.

My previous car was an Octavia Estate, and I agree, bags of room in the boot.  Had a saloon Superb before that.  I prefer a bigger engined car, hence choosing a vRS, but when looking before buying it, I'd pretty much had me heart set on a 1.6TDI, which was more than adequate in power output.

Have fun in the dealers :thumbup: - simply sitting in the different models can be quite revealing in terms of personal preferences.

Gaz

Right another question regarding radio etc. I thought to get sat nav one needed the Columbus setup. Am looking at a car listed as having the Bolero but screen shows sat nav.

Am I missing something?

L&K are often brown.  Cream and tan also available - my Superb was light tan, which made it a nice light, airy space.

Gaz

My 2015 vRS was an Amundsen (MIB1) and has satnav.  Further iterations of the Amundsen has it.  I think there's difference whether it's in the actual unit or on a SD card (my Amundsen's was on a card) but you'll need wiser people than me for an accurate response.  You'll get more footfall and responses if you post these type of questions in the specific car and infotainment sub forums too.

Gaz

8 hours ago, Gaz said:

I think there's difference whether it's in the actual unit or on a SD card

I have satnav on the Amundsen in my 2015 car. As I understand it, the main satnav system is contained within the Amundsen unit, and the SD card is storage for the maps. This is useful because you can take out the SD card and plug it into your home PC when the maps need updating. With this system you have a full set of maps with you all the time  and replace it with an updated set of maps once every few months as and when new updates are released. Running nav on a mobile phone with Google maps or a similar app is a bit different, as you will be downloading up to date maps over the mobile data network in real time as the routes are calculated.

Coming from a 2008 car you will find the infotainment very different, and if you are used to playing CDs you will need to come to terms with mp3s and/or streaming.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. In the written off Freelander I had fitted a Garmin satnav, took the place if a sort of cubby hole in the top dash fitted a treat and worked a damned sight better than the LR version. It had a SD card for maps but also had usb cable appearing in glovebox from it to update maps as unit was 

fixed behind dash and to take out SD card involved a bit of dash dismantle hence usb cable. I never listen music in the vehicle anyway nor the radio so no probs there.  As the mobile phone signal here is rubbish at best, which you might be aware of as in Norfolk also,  I would not want to reply on needing one to get live maps. Hence the like to have one

containing the satnav built in.  So are you saying I need to look for one with Amundsen unit?

On 02/03/2022 at 09:40, Bogart said:

So are you saying I need to look for one with Amundsen unit?

No, I'm not saying that. They will have changed since my car came out, and given the limited supply of cars at present, you may not be able to get one with a particular Satnav. In fact looking at a brochure for the latest Octavia MK4 it mentions a new Skoda Connect Online Infotainment System with 3D Columbus Navigation, or a Bolero unit without Satnav, but no longer any Amundsen. Personally I am happy with the level of tech in my MK3, but I am not sure I would be ready to take it all to the next level that exists in the MK4 with its online connectivity and software updates.

Hi

Seems one can use any unit that comes with something called car play, one learns something new every day. Seems the way to go, as have said to others now that is sorted just need the car.

Thanks

Carplay is for iPhones. The equivalent for Android phones is Android Auto. As far as I know any car equipped with Carplay is also equipped with Android Auto, so this is probably the way to go if you have a suitable mobile of either type.

• Like 1