Ea888 Tsi engine question

Hi guys, I’m after a definitive answer to a question, I’ve been searching for the past couple of days, but had no luck..

My 2012 Tsi vrs is a CCZA engine code as far as I can find out (I haven’t got the car home yet), however I was under the assumption that all mk2 vrs tsi engines were gen1 ea888s. 

However, all of my searching has told me that a CCZA engine code is a gen2 ea888… I just want to know what info is correct to be honest, so I have a gen1 or gen2? Multiple sources are saying that engine code is a gen2..

Thanks for any help guys,

Drew

53 minutes ago, pikpilot said:

This wiki page suggests generation 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#EA888 

(After reaching the page then use Control+F then enter CCZA. Second occurrence looks like your engine)

Ahhh, Wikipedia being the only place I didn’t check 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

thanks for your help, much appreciated 

Drew

if its a 2012 year car, then it will be a Gen 2 engine, as Gen 1 was phased out in 2010, Gen 2 had the oil consumption mostly solved but they can and still do have timing chain tensioner problems, the best of the bigger capacity TSi engines were fitted to MK3 octavia's and had/has the known issues ironed out at long last.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

if its a 2012 year car, then it will be a Gen 2 engine, as Gen 1 was phased out in 2010, Gen 2 had the oil consumption mostly solved but they can and still do have timing chain tensioner problems, the best of the bigger capacity TSi engines were fitted to MK3 octavia's and had/has the known issues ironed out at long last.

That’s the answer I was hoping for to be honest as I was a tad worried about the oil consumption issue - that’s put my mind at rest, by any chance do you have any idea how much of a job it is to replace the tensioner? I’m a mechanic by trade, but I deal in big stuff not cars, so haven’t got as much of an idea of FWD stuff

thanks 👍🏻

Drew

19 minutes ago, N888DRS said:

That’s the answer I was hoping for to be honest as I was a tad worried about the oil consumption issue - that’s put my mind at rest, by any chance do you have any idea how much of a job it is to replace the tensioner? I’m a mechanic by trade, but I deal in big stuff not cars, so haven’t got as much of an idea of FWD stuff

thanks 👍🏻

Drew

Believe or not i'm also in the same trade but small/light vehicle and MOT's (class 4 and 7), but have never done a set of chains and tensioner on the TSi and don't won't to either. Theirs 3 chains, 1 main chain from crank to rear cam, 1 chain between the front and rear cam, and 1 chain from crank to oil pump drive, it's the main chain tensioner thats had the problems and has had several revisions and modifications. Plus the cams each have a veriable valve drive thing to complicate things. VW speacailists charge about £700+ to change the whole lot, i did the research as i was going to have them replaced on my 1.8 TSi MK2, however that suffered drastic oil consumption (was a 2010 gen 1, last of the gen 1 batch) and traded in for the MK3. A tip, if your not doing huge miles in the VRS then change the oil from 5w30 to a good fully synthetic 5w40 oil to VW spec 502, helps with oil

consumption as it does not gum up the piston rings like long life oil does.

Edited by Ju1ian1001
added advice

2 hours ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Believe or not i'm also in the same trade but small/light vehicle and MOT's (class 4 and 7), but have never done a set of chains and tensioner on the TSi and don't won't to either. Theirs 3 chains, 1 main chain from crank to rear cam, 1 chain between the front and rear cam, and 1 chain from crank to oil pump drive, it's the main chain tensioner thats had the problems and has had several revisions and modifications. Plus the cams each have a veriable valve drive thing to complicate things. VW speacailists charge about £700+ to change the whole lot, i did the research as i was going to have them replaced on my 1.8 TSi MK2, however that suffered drastic oil consumption (was a 2010 gen 1, last of the gen 1 batch) and traded in for the MK3. A tip, if your not doing huge miles in the VRS then change the oil from 5w30 to a good fully synthetic 5w40 oil to VW spec 502, helps with oil

consumption as it does not gum up the piston rings like long life oil does.

Thanks for the advice - to be honest I normally average 20k miles a year so quite high, I’ve got no problem changing it every few thousand if it will elongate the life of the engine though… if I was to change to the 5w40 and just do a filter service every 6,000 or so I assume that will have the desired effect as well? Definitely glad I jumped on this forum, I’ve found out loads of stuff already that will be valuable for the future 

The only Tsi fitted to the Octavia is a gen1 iirc which was revised with better pistpns/rings to mitigate the oil consumption issues, the  gen2 is the audi version with valve adjustment fitted to both cams. Also i agree that they have three timing chains however they have one chain from the crank to both cams, one from the crank to the balance shafts/water pump drive and one chain from the crank to the oil pump drive 👍. Regarding oil i'd agree with the above, shorter intervals and good quality 5w40 helps a lot, i run liquimoly molygen and my oil consumption has gone from reasonably high to negligable (i do run an engine flush through every other oil change too).

Edited by Rileysport

11 hours ago, Rileysport said:

The only Tsi fitted to the Octavia is a gen1 iirc which was revised with better pistpns/rings to mitigate the oil consumption issues, the  gen2 is the audi version with valve adjustment fitted to both cams. Also i agree that they have three timing chains however they have one chain from the crank to both cams, one from the crank to the balance shafts/water pump drive and one chain from the crank to the oil pump drive 👍. Regarding oil i'd agree with the above, shorter intervals and good quality 5w40 helps a lot, i run liquimoly molygen and my oil consumption has gone from reasonably high to negligable (i do run an engine flush through every other oil change too).

All VAG vehicles gained all generations as the revised gen1 is gen 2, and mine was gen 1 but had both cams veriable (think this was only on the 1.8 version to help achieve 160bhp) when i used 5w40 the consumption went down to about 500ml per 1000 miles, but that suddenly went through the roof and i lost 4 litres in the space of 2 weeks, never found out why as traded in for the MK3, had that for 2 and half years and the flywheel is dead, rattling away like a goodun, why oh why fit dual mass flywheel to a DSG gearbox, another bad design. Traded in for MAZDA 2 sportnav + with a good old manual box with solid flywheel. Don't get my wrong love DSG, but dual mass has put a damper on them for me.

Mine is a 2011 and the grenade tensioner stories terrifying.

Have called local Skoda dealer asking about any TSB or recall and CCZA they say no outstanding.

They didn't seem concerned or keen to give a price for a tensioner & chain replacement-so clueless to if it is a disaster waiting to happen.🤔

• Like 1