Superb 2018 or later, 1.5 TSI (or 1.4 TSI) vs 1.8 TSI

Hi,

It's been quite some time I have been looking at the latest MkIII Superbs and trying to select a model. At the moment I have it boiled down to:

- 2018 or later, does not matter facelift or not

- TSI petrol engine

- DSG 7 gear automatic transmission

One of the following engines:

- 1.5 TSI, 110 kW (since 2019)

- 1.4 TSI, 110 kW (before 2019)

- 1.8 TSI, 132 kW (before 2019)

I tend to drive ~15k per year. About 70 % of that in the city and 30 % long-range.

Would be good to hear how much is the consumption for each of these.

As far as I have seen, it seems that 1.8 TSI requires ~1 liter more per 100 km than the other two, but that is something I can live with. Would be nice to hear if my expectations are reasonable.

I am also interested if there is something well-known regarding reliability and maintenance costs. The 1.8 TSI was discontinued after the facelift - is it a red flag indicating that something is wrong with this configuration?

Grateful for any support.

1.8 is a solid engine. Will always drink more compared to the more modern 1.4/5 that often have cylinder deactivation under light load. One thing to be aware of is all those engines come with the dry clutch dsg. Low torque (as mentioned already) and no recommended service regime. The oil (2 types?) can be changed however. I'm sure there will be someone along who knows more about it. All I know is I'd be going for a manual with those engines.

It's quite a big car for a 1.5TSi. mine is a 2019 Sportline 1.5TSi with DSG.

In normal bumbling about it's okay, if you like to get a wiggle on or often have a full load in the car, go for the 1.8

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Q102 said:

go for the 1.8

Have you seen the torque curves of the 1.5 and 1.8?  Very similar up to higher revs where the 1.8 carries on a bit.  It's in a rev range where most dont get to and certainly would want to regularly.  It's especially limiting with the dsg on both as the gearbox limits the output.  I would suggest they drive in a similar manner.  1.8 might not be taxed quite so much being a bgger capacity but the 1.5 is perfectly capable.