Plastic on wheels !?

paco

Just ordered my Karoq SE L from the brochure but myself and the dealer think the new wheels look distinctly ODD !?

they look as though they have plastic inserts, anyone have any details or info please ?

They do.  It's an idea borrowed from the Enyaq and it's supposed to improve aerodynamics.  They are removable though and I intend removing them from my new Sportline when it arrives.

Oh ok ! If they are removable that’s something 🤔, if they are designed to be removable I trust the wheels look ok without the inserts ?

thanks for your reply 👍

Hi Paco

I ordered the Karoq SE L also. It has the Miran black alloy 18inch wheels, different to the Sportlines 18inch Procyon, which I think have removable inserts which help aerodynamics.

As far as I can see and understand, the Miran are part matt black and part silver alloy solid wheels. No plastic!!

Barry

11 minutes ago, roottoot said:

See the wheels here on a Kodiaq.

Hmm, not sure what I think about those…

Will discs overheat on long downhill braking?

Nobody seems to use gears for retardation anymore, judging by the people I follow down hills

No. 

Thankfully brakes are designed for use, the rusty ones that many members complain of are because of the lack of use.

How long are the downhills you are going down?  

Many use gears for retardation even with a DSG and then the regeneration on vehicles.    

Engineers designing in Aero know how to have airflow to the brakes. 

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

Nobody seems to use gears for retardation anymore, judging by the people I follow down hills

Using the gears is the old way, you aren't taught that any more it's brakes and block shifting, the reason brakes are cheaper than gearboxes.

2 hours ago, vegit8 said:

Hmm, not sure what I think about those…

Will discs overheat on long downhill braking?

The reason for tis is that car's engines have so little internal friction that there is little worthwhile engine braking available. And brakes are easier and cheaper to replace than gearboxes.

37 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

The reason for tis is that car's engines have so little internal friction that there is little worthwhile engine braking available. And brakes are easier and cheaper to replace than gearboxes.

Engine braking has nothing to do with internal friction it's all down to compression and gear ratio

• Like 1

@OldKaroqThe link was just to show that there are Wheel Trims about and we are back to the future. 

Even pretty expensive EV's with steel wheels and wheel trims& not just on winter wheels.

This is the wheels on my Vauxhall  with non removable plastic inserts. 

DSCN5600.JPG.0574d6006b64341605ad1ac81220e1bb.jpeg

DSCN5605.JPG.1f5061cbe531712dad6d676183e68452.jpeg

DSCN0824.JPG.5adb6c800963d0f5577df9ca18f98529.jpeg.f9bb213a586c9b8c5f6cd01594cce21a.jpeg

Edited by roottoot

15 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

Hi Paco

I ordered the Karoq SE L also. It has the Miran black alloy 18inch wheels, different to the Sportlines 18inch Procyon, which I think have removable inserts which help aerodynamics.

As far as I can see and understand, the Miran are part matt black and part silver alloy solid wheels. No plastic!!

Barry

Thanks for your reply, let’s hope so 🤞

the various pictures on different web links seem to be unclear as what the wheels are on the SE L

55 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

The OP ordered the Karoq SE L.  The Kodiaq wheels in the link are not the ones he will get.

So the Karoq wheels are solid silver & black with no ‘plastic’ inserts ?

Paco

27 minutes ago, paco said:

So the Karoq wheels are solid silver & black with no ‘plastic’ inserts ?

Paco

In the brochure, the only model which specifically mentions "matt black aero inserts" is the Sportline.

7 hours ago, roottoot said:

How long are the downhills you are going down? 

Abbostbury hill - on the coast road between Bridport and Weymouth falls 140m (give or take) over a horizontal distance of 1.4km.

Speed is restricted to 50mph

At its steepest the gradient is 17% (1 in 3 in old money)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

Not quite Cairn O Mount, The Bealach Na Ba or Hardknott park time descents then. 

Indeed, but needing brakes all the way down none the less.

PS - I have driven 2 of those 3 as well.

I have also (many years ago) driven coaches in the Swiss alps, on descents there you have to switch between telma retarders and brakes to avoid fade due to overheating.

• Like 1

A Karoq will cope very well and no need for the discs or brake fluid to overheat even if there are Moon Wheel Discs fitted, just as long as you do not go dipping the car in the sea or a ford.  Or maybe stopping and Autohold or the e-brake is applied.

• 4 months later...