Superb IV Hatchback Boot Dimensions

Hi, I'm potentially looking to replace my Octavia mk3 Hatch with a used PHEV. Ideally given the reduction of boot space due to the battery I'd get an estate Superb IV, but these seem to be rarer than the hatchback Superb IV and seem to be about £10k more which is way out of my price range. Therefore that leaves me with 2 options really, the Superb IV hatch or possibly an Octavia mk4 IV, though I prefer the Superb. But I'm worried the boot in the Superb may be too shallow, I can't find any dimensions for these online though and my nearest dealers don't have any Superb IV's to look at unfortunately.  If anyone with a Superb IV hatch would be able to tell me the height of the boot from the floor to the parcel shelf to be able to compare with my current octavia I'd be really grateful!

Thanks

Give or take the odd mm, it’s 45 cm.

That’s the bottom surface of the parcel shelf (with the parcel shelf cords released from the tailgate) to the boot floor itself.

I have the dual surface boot liner which reduces it to about 44 cm.

PS I posted some pics of my hatch boot floor in a previous thread that may be useful. Note - mine is a hatch although that topic was about the estate…

Edited by aerofurb

That's brilliant, thanks @aerofurb, that doesn't sound as bad as I thought it might be, only about 10cm less than my Octavia, so I'll check the dimensions of some of the things I carry regularly to check I'm not going to get issues, but sounds promising then! Is the height the same at the boot lid as it is where the parcel shelf is if that makes sense, or does it drop off by a cm or two at the front of the boot where the parcel shelf ends? Thanks once again for your help with it, much appreciated!

Pleasure to help - I know exactly how difficult it can be to suss stuff out without physically seeing things.

So, these pictures were with a crate (L47xW35xH24 cm) in the boot that hopefully gives an idea of the boot shape down the back end and what you can get in. You can see the parcel shelf and tailgate trim panel. Also, this was done with the 1cm thick liner in place.

The boot depth (height?!) does taper a bit but I'm amazed how big a box will go in without any crunching noises (powered tailgate). (Pictures taken from inside with the back seat folded - I decided not to climb in the boot for the interior shots...).

IMG-1358.JPG

IMG-1364.JPG

IMG-1367.JPG

IMG-1369.JPG

Not that I know of. The fuel tank is under the boot floor with the EV battery under the back seat.

At the aft end of the boot there’s a reasonable storage area under the floor - see my picture in the thread I linked above. This is big enough for the two charging cables and I have a jack, tools etc there. 

On the forward right hand side under the floor, there’s another area for the standard tool kit etc.

Then on the right hand side wall behind the wheel arch, there’s another storage area. The left hand side houses the 12V battery. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/03/2022 at 08:55, aerofurb said:

Pleasure to help - I know exactly how difficult it can be to suss stuff out without physically seeing things.

So, these pictures were with a crate (L47xW35xH24 cm) in the boot that hopefully gives an idea of the boot shape down the back end and what you can get in. You can see the parcel shelf and tailgate trim panel. Also, this was done with the 1cm thick liner in place.

The boot depth (height?!) does taper a bit but I'm amazed how big a box will go in without any crunching noises (powered tailgate). (Pictures taken from inside with the back seat folded - I decided not to climb in the boot for the interior shots...).

IMG-1358.JPG

IMG-1364.JPG

IMG-1367.JPG

IMG-1369.JPG

That's brilliant @aerofurb, thanks for going to so much effort for me with this, that's a brilliant help so I can hopefully make a decision on it this weekend.

1 hour ago, Danielwa2 said:

That's brilliant @aerofurb, thanks for going to so much effort for me with this, that's a brilliant help so I can hopefully make a decision on it this weekend.

No worries - the car is just outside the kitchen door and undercover so I didn't have to travel far! Enjoy the shopping and shout if you need any more info. It was a year ago I got bored during lockdown and started online shopping for my iV. No regrets whatsoever!

9 hours ago, Patent said:

Anyone know what's meant to go in the blank area between the tyre compressor and the bottle of glue? 

Looks like it's meant to house something, but I can't work out what

Good question. I had a look tonight - I'd forgotten that there was that squarish spare hole there. Perhaps a wheel chock? Answers on a postcard....

21 hours ago, j caff said:

Is that a spare wheel you have in the boot? It really stresses me out not having a proper spare and jack.

Yup. Old school, so I like spare wheels. It’s a standard space saver Superb steel spare. Jack etc sits under the boot floor by the charging cables. 

I have plenty of boot space (even with it being an iV) so the spare sitting in there isn’t a problem. 

Peace of mind wins the day for me! 

Edited by aerofurb
  • Thanks 1

Today was a car fettling day (wash, summer wheels fit etc) and I took the boot floor panel up completely, which gives an idea of the various cubby holes/storage places under the boot floor. I'd forgotten there was more space at the front of the boot area. The area at the back is about 20cm deep.

IMG-1425.thumb.JPG.f208cef2cc63ecec0e680a33762eb358.JPG

IMG-1427.thumb.JPG.6140de48c66d412f8d1744c6969ce46b.JPG