IV Sportline road noise

Hi All,

I know some people seem to have issue with road noise inside the Superb and just wondered if this was also an issue in the IV? My last two cars have been an Arteon and a BMW 320D and they seemed fairly silent, well on most surfaces anyway so I was just wondering what I should expect with the IV?

Thanks in advance guys.

i cant comment specifically on the iv, but i had an arteon for 2 years and now have an superb hatch, both on 19 lnch tyres.

i would say the noise levels from both cars  are the same, it's   the road surface that makes the biggest difference,

some people might think the vw is better insulated, but i dont think that is the case,  as i find noise levels  the same in both cars for the same road surface.

i would imagine an iv is quieter around town at low speeds when on electric, but tyre noise should be the same on an iv ,petrol  or diesel when on the motorway

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

i cant comment specifically on the iv, but i had an arteon for 2 years and now have an superb hatch, both on 19 lnch tyres.

i would say the noise levels from both cars  are the same, it's   the road surface that makes the biggest difference,

some people might think the vw is better insulated, but i dont think that is the case,  as i find noise levels  the same in both cars for the same road surface.

i would imagine an iv is quieter around town at low speeds when on electric, but tyre noise should be the same on an iv ,petrol  or diesel when on the motorway

Ah that is good to know, appreciated :)

Any other observations you would make between the Superb and the Arteon? They looks to share lots of the same kit but I guess the proof is in the pudding and all that.

2 minutes ago, TankTankBoom said:

Ah that is good to know, appreciated :)

Any other observations you would make between the Superb and the Arteon? They looks to share lots of the same kit but I guess the proof is in the pudding and all that.

i just got the superb yesterday and drove the 400 miles or so up from london, so need a bit more time to compare the 2 cars

but my 1st impressions are  the 2 cars feel similar, so  it really gets down to looks and price.

i was going to buy another arteon but the price has now crept up over  40k for an  r line diesel which puts it into the £500 a year road tax bracket, and i could'nt get myself to give the government the extra ££££

• Thanks 1

Not an apple and apples comparison but I went from an Octavia TDI estate (mk3) to a Passat GTE. Road noise is very similar. Obviously engine noise is less but wind and tyres create more noise at cruising speed in most cars. I've not noticed a significant difference at the sort of speeds that matter. Low/mid speed you get the same bumps and rattles but less engine noise.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, komoornik said:

It was a workshop not me 😅

To be honest fully loaded Superb L&K is just a great car missing one thing - better sound insulation. That's why I had it planned, it was done about a month after picking the car up from the dealer.

What did you pay to have it done out of interest, if you don't mind me asking? Did it make a big difference?

It was done in Poland, ~ 1400 GBP.

The whole car was done basically, whole interior with the roof, boot, doors etc, also wheel arches inside/outside, bonnet and under the windshield.

It made quite a difference, the biggest one is that you really cannot hear much now from the road/tires.

• Like 1

Just now, komoornik said:

It was done in Poland, ~ 1400 GBP.

The whole car was done basically, whole interior with the roof, boot, doors etc, also wheel arches inside/outside, bonnet and under the windshield.

It made quite a difference, the biggest one is that you really cannot hear much now from the road/tires.

That is not a terrible price to be fair, I wonder what it would cost in the UK...

12 hours ago, TankTankBoom said:

Hi All,

I know some people seem to have issue with road noise inside the Superb and just wondered if this was also an issue in the IV? My last two cars have been an Arteon and a BMW 320D and they seemed fairly silent, well on most surfaces anyway so I was just wondering what I should expect with the IV?

Thanks in advance guys.

I find the road noise shocking in the iV, it's so bad we stopped listening to our audiobooks. The 2019 TDI it replaced was much much quieter on the open road. The old car had 16" wheels on nexen tyres, the iV has 19" wheels with a much lower profile tyres. I'd advise you give it a comprehensive test drive before committing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, j caff said:

I find the road noise shocking in the iV, it's so bad we stopped listening to our audiobooks. The 2019 TDI it replaced was much much quieter on the open road. The old car had 16" wheels on nexen tyres, the iV has 19" wheels with a much lower profile tyres. I'd advise you give it a comprehensive test drive before committing. 

I have only paid a depost so far, so I will heed your advice and take it for a longer run and listen to how my podcast/audio books sound at 70 mph :)

15 minutes ago, TankTankBoom said:

I have only paid a depost so far, so I will heed your advice and take it for a longer run and listen to how my podcast/audio books sound at 70 mph :)

It's so bad on mine I was considering getting smaller wheels, I'm afraid I'll mess up the speedo and being a phev would it affect the economy etc? (Not that I'm actually getting any economy from the battery)

Let us know what you think. Most of my road noise comes from the back, there are times I've thought the tailgate was open it was so loud. 

Edited by j caff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, j caff said:

It's so bad on mine I was considering getting smaller wheels, I'm afraid I'll mess up the speedo and being a phev would it affect the economy etc? (Not that I'm actually getting any economy from the battery)

So you would not buy another one or does it have some plus points? It looks like a lovely car and my better half likes the idea of the PHEV side, as do I...

Just now, TankTankBoom said:

So you would not buy another one or does it have some plus points? It looks like a lovely car and my better half likes the idea of the PHEV side, as do I...

No, I wouldn't buy another, next time I'll go full EV, probably an I.D.3 as I'm on VW PCP finance, ideally I'd go for the MG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, j caff said:

Let us know what you think. Most of my road noise comes from the back, there are times I've thought the tailgate was open it was so loud. 

Get yourself smaller alloys with narrower tires, although with the similar wheel diamater.

It's gonna be quiter, would benefit the economy and the ride comfort will be better too.

I really hate the current trends to just put a bigger alloy size everywhere...

• Like 1

I’ve had my Sportline Plus for 12 months and 10k miles. Standard 19” wheels - summer and winter tyres. 

Previously, I had a Citigo for the short work commute and a Yeti 4x4 TDI for the longer journeys. The iV is quieter than both on both short and long journeys.

In EV mode, I reckon the iV is fantastic in all aspects, including road noise. It is dependent on the road surface. Tomorrow, I’ll be putting the Pirelli summer tyres back on which are noticeably quieter than the Kumho winters (but I didn’t buy the winters for noise reasons!). I can only hear the winters at 30 mph without the radio on. 

Normally, I run in EV mode at 40 mph and below whenever possible. Silent bliss. 

In the cruise 50 mph and above, there is a bit of wind noise, probably from the door mirrors. 

There is no engine noise at 50 mph and above - you never hear the engine kick in (or out) when it’s doing its coasting mode. The only way you know it’s being a good hybrid is if you look at the tacho needle and see if the ICE is running or not.

I did have to do a week of 30 mph commute without plugging in and I found the ICE a bit noisy but that may be because I’m normally used to it being in EV modes at those speeds and in that environment.

With the music on, you don’t hear the car at all. Not sure about the audio book listening as I don’t do them but they must be quiet book if you can’t hear them….! 

Edited by aerofurb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aerofurb said:

I’ve had my Sportline Plus for 12 months and 10k miles. Standard 19” wheels - summer and winter tyres. 

Previously, I had a Citigo for the short work commute and a Yeti 4x4 TDI for the longer journeys. The iV is quieter than both on both short and long journeys.

In EV mode, I reckon the iV is fantastic in all aspects, including road noise. It is dependent on the road surface. Tomorrow, I’ll be putting the Pirelli summer tyres back on which are noticeably quieter than the Nankang winters (but I didn’t buy the winters for noise reasons!). I can only hear the winters at 30 mph without the radio on. 

Normally, I run in EV mode at 40 mph and below whenever possible. Silent bliss. 

In the cruise 50 mph and above, there is a bit of wind noise, probably from the door mirrors. 

There is no engine noise at 50 mph and above - you never hear the engine kick in (or out) when it’s doing its coasting mode. The only way you know it’s being a good hybrid is if you look at the tacho needle and see if the ICE is running or not.

I did have to do a week of 30 mph commute without plugging in and I found the ICE a bit noisy but that may be because I’m normally used to it being in EV modes at those speeds and in that environment.

With the music on, you don’t hear the car at all. Not sure about the audio book listening as I don’t do them but they must be quiet book if you can’t hear them….! 

Maybe it's my tyres but the road noise is terrible, I've no complaints about the EV or ICE side of things it performs impeccably in that regard but as speed increases the noise becomes very intrusive. They're the original tyres the car was sold with, except one oddball cheapo noname  that I never spotted when test driving it (it's on the front left) .

• Like 1

Interesting re the one odd tyre.

The standard tyres are 235/40 R19, so not that fat and the lowish profile shouldn’t be a cause of excessive road noise.

Low profile tyres may make the ride harder but on mine, the ride is great, even in Sport mode. 

I just looked at mine and the winters are Kumho not Nankang (corrected my previous post). They have tractor tread and provide a bit of a whine that you can here in EV mode at 30 mph with the radio off. 

Personally, I don’t like the idea of mismatched tyres on the same axle. 

5 hours ago, aerofurb said:

Interesting re the one odd tyre.

The standard tyres are 235/40 R19, so not that fat and the lowish profile shouldn’t be a cause of excessive road noise.

Low profile tyres may make the ride harder but on mine, the ride is great, even in Sport mode. 

I just looked at mine and the winters are Kumho not Nankang (corrected my previous post). They have tractor tread and provide a bit of a whine that you can here in EV mode at 30 mph with the radio off. 

Personally, I don’t like the idea of mismatched tyres on the same axle. 

The car was an ex demo, I’d say somebody mangled it on a kerb and they put the cheapest tyre available on it luckily the alloy is unmarked unless it was replaced too. There were outstanding payments owed for tolls as well, both umbrella’s missing from the doors and the removable boot light was missing too. Suffice to say I won’t be dealing with that dealer again. I’ve been there, done that with tyres, usually trading in a car with almost new tyres, I’m not doing that with this car, 4 cheapos if it really needs tyres otherwise it’s getting traded in with what’s on it in 2024. 
                          Got shafted on the finance too but that’s a whole other story😡😡. Anybody know where I’d buy a boot light? I can’t find one anywhere, all sites are trying to sell me the fixed boot lights. 

I feel your pain - mine was an ex-demo, too and had a few minor issues (I bought sight unseen due to lockdown internet shopping...) but the supplying dealer went above and beyond to sort them out, so more than happy.

I'm sure a dealer should be able to source a boot light for you, can't be that expensive.

3 hours ago, aerofurb said:

I feel your pain - mine was an ex-demo, too and had a few minor issues (I bought sight unseen due to lockdown internet shopping...) but the supplying dealer went above and beyond to sort them out, so more than happy.

I'm sure a dealer should be able to source a boot light for you, can't be that expensive.

Not available according to my local dealer, the Skoda experience is becoming very sour for me tbh. They just don't seem interested anymore.