Gearbox in emergency mode - no reverse gear

Hi all! This would be a bit of a long post, so please bear with me. I would appreciate some kind advice on how to proceed please.

We've bought an approved used 68 reg Kodiaq back in September. The car is 1.5 TSi DSG with around 20k miles when bought. It's done about 2k miles since.

We had an 3.0 Tdi Q7 before and as the wife mainly drives around town, we've decided that small petrol is ideal for the short trips.

There was a minor issue with the service history, where it looks like one of the service was done a bit late, however this was sorted as an admin error and corrected.

The car was due for a minor service last month, and was done locally instead of main dealer. The garage is an approved garage using genuine parts.

We done 2 long trips since then, one up to Hull (circa 100 miles) and the other across to Aberyswyth(190 ish miles). The issue in the title appeared during the last 20 miles into Aber.

When the warning is on, I cannot select even number gears (in manual mode) but odd number gears are fine.  If I stop and restart the car the warning goes away and I can drive as normal, however during the hilly roads the warning came back.

Gear changes were smooth, no strange noises or clunking.

Parked overnight at hotel and the car was normal again next morning and around Aber. Even had the AA guy came out and he scanned with Snap On tool and he said the error (something to do with gear selector module) was cleared and never came back.

On the journey home the error did come back, few times during the hilly roads and once coming out of Shewsbury. No errors on the M6.

The car was mainly driven around town with 2-3 pax maximum. The Hull and Aberyswyth was our first long trip in the car (3 adults 3 kids).

As the car is out of warranty I have booked it into local garage to have it looked at.

If you've read thus far, thank you! I just wanted to include as much detail as I could.

I would appreciate some advise please, on how to proceed. This is our first approved used DSG car, and we are a little concerned that now it's out of warranty we would be looking at  big bills.

If the problem is with even number gears and not odd numbers then it suggests the fault is in the gearbox.  There are 2 shafts one with even numbered gears, other with odd numbered ones.  Actually one is a tube not a shaft and the shaft runs through the tube to the second set from its clutch (the gears aren’t in sequence they are in two sets, one set attached to tube, other to the shaft).

I am guessing there are two possibilities, a selector control switch is faulty and not making contact so it thinks it can’t control one of the sets of gears (which is why they can’t be selected), or a control module thinks there is a problem with controlling the gears or clutch so is reverting to a safe mode rather than risking selecting two gears at once and causing damage.

Although the car is out of warranty, there is also sale of goods Act, and the selling dealer is liable if the fault was present or developing at time of sale.  The law is stacked so they have to demonstrate it wasn’t faulty at time of sale rather than you proving it was part faulty.   Having said that if switches or electronic unit fails it tends to be almost instant, rather than degrading over time.

To be honest many small local garages would be out of their depth diagnosing and repairing the electrical switches and controls in a DSG gearbox, and if they have to change a part ensuring it is all aligned and reassembled properly without using bit of trial and error and changing multiple parts whilst using some guesswork to identify exact fault.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Use the Skoda Approved Warranty and get any fault diagnosed.    At a Skoda Approved repairer, so a Skoda main dealership.   There is no servicing of a DQ200 DSG if the car is front wheel drive with this DSG.  ?   Did the car get the Service campaign software updates on the 1.5 TSI at any point!   Was the DSG given a software update at any time?  Was the car rejected by the first keeper as Sims where because of Engine and DSG issues?

• Like 1

I read in the OP an approved used car bought in September.  That is not out of warranty then.   If Skoda Approved used then the Warranty was made valid by them even if the car had not been serviced to manufacturer's recommendations before a Dealership sold it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

If the problem is with even number gears and not odd numbers then it suggests the fault is in the gearbox.  There are 2 shafts one with even numbered gears, other with odd numbered ones.  Actually one is a tube not a shaft and the shaft runs through the tube to the second set from its clutch (the gears aren’t in sequence they are in two sets, one set attached to tube, other to the shaft).

I am guessing there are two possibilities, a selector control switch is faulty and not making contact so it thinks it can’t control one of the sets of gears (which is why they can’t be selected), or a control module thinks there is a problem with controlling the gears or clutch so is reverting to a safe mode rather than risking selecting two gears at once and causing damage.

Although the car is out of warranty, there is also sale of goods Act, and the selling dealer is liable if the fault was present or developing at time of sale.  The law is stacked so they have to demonstrate it wasn’t faulty at time of sale rather than you proving it was part faulty.   Having said that if switches or electronic unit fails it tends to be almost instant, rather than degrading over time.

To be honest many small local garages would be out of their depth diagnosing and repairing the electrical switches and controls in a DSG gearbox, and if they have to change a part ensuring it is all aligned and reassembled properly without using bit of trial and error and changing multiple parts whilst using some guesswork to identify exact fault.

Thanks SurreyJohn.

Spoken to the local garage (he is a good friend) and he did say that it could be the gear selector module or the mechatronic unit. He does have decent diagnostic equipment so would let him have a look first to see if he can help.

If all fails we would have to go into the Skoda dealership (closest one is around 20 miles) and hope that it's not too expensive to repair 😞

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

I read in the OP an approved used car bought in September.  That is not out of warranty then.   If Skoda Approved used then the Warranty was made valid by them even if the car had not been serviced to manufacturer's recommendations before a Dealership sold it. 

Yes, it was bought from an official Skoda Dealership back in September. I didn't realise that there is an approved used warranty that covers this? I might make an enquiry to see if I can get this booked in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MesaSunrise said:

Yes, it was bought from an official Skoda Dealership back in September. I didn't realise that there is an approved used warranty that covers this? I might make an enquiry to see if I can get this booked in.

Back to dealer who sold it to you is first choice.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Use the Skoda Approved Warranty and get any fault diagnosed.    At a Skoda Approved repairer, so a Skoda main dealership.   There is no servicing of a DQ200 DSG if the car is front wheel drive with this DSG.  ?   Did the car get the Service campaign software updates on the 1.5 TSI at any point!   Was the DSG given a software update at any time?  Was the car rejected by the first keeper as Sims where because of Engine and DSG issues?

Many thanks for highlighing this! Just found our Skoda Appoved Used warranty details dated 13th September. I will have a look and get this booked in.

As to your other questions regarding service campaing software updates, I am not sure how to get this information. However I have the email from the regional manager who corrected the electronic service history so I would get in touch to ask.

Just now, Warrior193 said:

Back to dealer who sold it to you is first choice.

Hmm, that dealership is 200 odd miles away. I don't really think it's safe for me to drive that far. Does it have to be the supplying dealer?

• Like 1

Ask the information from the dealership. Or Skoda or tomorrow from the selling dealership.  Get the full service and service campaign and warranty history.  Maybe put the reg number up here and a member will know if it is a car they rejected or punted early.  The threads are in this and other sections from 2018. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure of the terms and conditions in the Skoda approved warranty - check those, they will specify who you need to take it to for diagnosis. If considered unsafe to drive that distance, probably should be recovered.  

Edited by Warrior193
added note.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I'm not sure of the terms and conditions in the Skoda approved warranty - check those, they will specify who you need to take it to for diagnosis.  

This is what the booklet says. Tempted to call Skoda Assist but not too sure if this is classed as a breakdown.

1. Should it be necessary to make a claim, take your vehicle and your Warranty documents
to any ŠKODA retailer or ŠKODA Authorised Repairer. They will administer the claim on
your behalf.
2. Should it not be possible for you to return your car to a ŠKODA Approved Retailer or
ŠKODA Authorised Repairer, please contact ŠKODA Approved Warranty for authority
prior to the completion of any work to your car on 0333 043 3782.

Call them and ask for advice, given the complexity of these gearboxes,I would consider gear selection issues, as you describe, a breakdown.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Call them and ask for advice, given the complexity of these gearboxes,I would consider gear selection issues, as you describe, a breakdown.

edit: called wrong number. The Skoda Assist number given in the booklet connects to AA. I don't think AA would be able to help much without arrangment with dealership in my case.
Spoken to my localish dealership and they said give them a call tomorrow to discuss. Hopefully they will take the car in 😞

Edited by MesaSunrise

22 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Ask the information from the dealership. Or Skoda or tomorrow from the selling dealership.  Get the full service and service campaign and warranty history.  Maybe put the reg number up here and a member will know if it is a car they rejected or punted early.  The threads are in this and other sections from 2018. 

Many thanks for advice roottoot. I've called local dealership and they said call again tomorrow.
Regarding reg number, I'd rather not post on public forums but happy to private message if any kind members can help.

• Like 1

Sounds like a mechatronics issue. Something as simple as a temperature sensor could cause this issue (that was/is a common issue on one of the other DSG gearboxes), but the probability is that it will need a new mechatronics unit regardless of what the exact fault is. As above, push hard for this to be done under the approved-used warranty. Even if the warranty had expired, I would be pushing for Skoda to at least contribute to the costs, as the car is less than five years old, and it sounds like it has a pretty good service history, and obviously had been checked over to some extent as part of the approved used process.

Good luck - please let us know how things go. 

• Like 3

AA is the Skoda Assist responders.  No need for Dealership contact if the Skoda Approved used car deal gives Skoda Assist cover.  But you need to look at the deal as you got it.   Skoda assist / As if there is cover can get someone out, read fault codes.  Arrange recovery to a dealership and arrange a vehicle.  Hire car delivered if required.  Or you can wait til tomorrow and get proper customer service or not.  Read the Skoda Approved Papers that should have been provided in hard copy or online. 

• Like 1

5 year old and FMDSH does not mean serviced to manufacturer's recommendations even with a Skoda Approved Used car Warranty.    That would show brake fluid change at 3 years and 5. Pollen filter twice etc etc.      Cars with Haldex and wet clutch DSG, even get sold as Skoda Approved Used card at over 3 years old or over 40,000 miles,. That is no guarantee the Haldex was serviced at 30,000 miles or this DSG at 40,000 or brake fluid changed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

5 year old and FMDSH does not mean serviced to manufacturer's recommendations even with a Skoda Approved Used car Warranty.    That would show brake fluid change at 3 years and 5. Pollen filter twice etc etc.      Cars with Haldex and wet clutch DSG, even get sold as Skoda Approved Used card at over 3 years old or over 40,000 miles,. That is no guarantee the Haldex was serviced at 30,000 miles or this DSG at 40,000 or brake fluid changed. 

Indeed, as I found from experience when I bought a 3.5 year old car which later turned out not to have had Haldex or brake fluid services done. 

It should be a moot point in this particular case though, because of the warranty. And at only 22k miles, the first scheduled DSG service is still a long way off, so a missed DSG service can't be used as an excuse. 

• Like 1

No service schedule or guidelines / recommendations ever if the OP,s Kodiaq is Front Wheel Drive with a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG.  So not an issue.  The issue falls back to the cars history up to now and did a TPI cover the car for the Software Updates and if so we're they done when the car was in at a main dealers.    The warranty should be sound regardless of what has or not been done.   Funnily if an owner buys a Skoda Warranty and the car has not been serviced as per Manufacturers Recommendations they can make a song and dance and even say 'known issues'.  Known by them yet an extended warranty was sold / mis-sold. 

Screenshot 2022-03-20 12.23.43.png

Screenshot 2022-03-20 12.24.51.png

36172_SKODA_Approved_Used_Warranty_Dec20_SINGLES.pdf

Edited by roottoot

46 minutes ago, roottoot said:

No service schedule or guidelines / recommendations ever if the OP,s Kodiaq is Front Wheel Drive with a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG.  So not an issue.  The issue falls back to the cars history up to now and did a TPI cover the car for the Software Updates and if so we're they done when the car was in at a main dealers.    The warranty should be sound regardless of what has or not been done.   Funnily if an owner buys a Skoda Warranty and the car has not been serviced as per Manufacturers Recommendations they can make a song and dance and even say 'known issues'.  Known by them yet an extended warranty was sold / mis-sold. 

No DQ200 on any Kodiaq, ever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teir said:

Sounds like a mechatronics issue. Something as simple as a temperature sensor could cause this issue (that was/is a common issue on one of the other DSG gearboxes), but the probability is that it will need a new mechatronics unit regardless of what the exact fault is. As above, push hard for this to be done under the approved-used warranty. Even if the warranty had expired, I would be pushing for Skoda to at least contribute to the costs, as the car is less than five years old, and it sounds like it has a pretty good service history, and obviously had been checked over to some extent as part of the approved used process.

Good luck - please let us know how things go. 

Thanks for this Teir. The approved used warranty expires in September 2022 so I am in luck.
According to the approved used booklet it should cover any major electrical or mechical issues so fingers crossed most if not all costs are covered.

My only concern is getting this booked into a Skoda dealership. From my previous BMW experience dealerships are not keen on warranty work.

• Like 1