Dies on hard acceleration

bobcr

Only had my 2006 Roomster 1.2 for a short time and its running ok so far although I noticed the exhaust is a bit smelly when ticking over

Today I was late for an appointment and stuck behind a person in a car driving about ten miles per hour up a hill so I attempted to pass him in first gear accelerating hard and about half way past the engine died twice like the fuel or ignition had been turned off, I took my foot off the throttle and the revs came back both times and managed to finally get past then it drove normally 

Could this be a blocked fuel filter or any other ideas what this might be ?

A bit disconcerting when you are on the wrong side of the road with a blind bend ahead and absolutely no revs !!

The guy was just about stopped in the road so passing in any other gear wasn't an option, clearly whether anyone thinks its a good idea or not the engine acceleration should not drastically fail in any situation putting the driver in danger so its an important safety question really as it might well happen again in different circumstances.

Was your fuel tank near empty?

If you have only 63ps then climbing hills and issues might be expected.

Try the hill again driving as you would not overtaking and see how the car is.

Is servicing up to date, plugs, air filter, fuel filter.

Not a very steep hill and a very full fuel tank

The dealer was vague about servicing but I looked at the engine oil which is very clean and obviously changed very recently 

Its not a problem related to the power of the engine it is a sudden and complete loss of power that then comes back just as if the ignihas been turned off briefly 

Maybe it did cut out a bit.

Check the battery is secure, check the battery terminals are tight. 

At some point you will have to habe the spark plugs out and see if needing replaced, the air filter looked at and see if servicing has been done there and it is a clean one.

What petrol does it get is it E10? 

What are the front tyre condition/ pressure like. Was it wet/ damp, could have been the TC cutting in and cutting power if the front wheels were spinning.

Dry day and plenty of grip with newish tyres all round no wheelspin 

Its using 95 petrol here in Portugal 

I think I will give it a full service anyway whether it needs it or not and replace the fuel filter wherever it lives

will check the battery too