Will a full size 19” fit in well of an estate?

28 minutes ago, RaymondReddington said:

Before I go and remove a wheel to test, will a full size 19” with tyre fit completely in the spare wheel well of an estate with the boot carpet fitting as usual etc?

A 235/40R19 tyre fitted to an 8J rim is about 235mm wide when inflated.

8" equals 203.2mm. However, an 8J rim is 8" where the tyre beads sit, not the outside measurement. So maybe add 6mm each side to account for the thickness of the rim, and that gives you an uninflated tyre width of about 215mm.

A 215/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6.5J rim when inflated has an actual width of about 221mm, ie. 6mm more than the nominal tyre width.

A 215/55R17 tyre fitted to a 7J rim when inflated has an actual width of about 226mm, ie. 11mm more than the nominal tyre width.

Someone did mention that an inflated 215/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6.5J rim when inflated does raise the floor slightly, maybe by several millimetres.

Therefore an uninflated 235/40R19 tyre should fit, but not an inflated tyre. Maybe store a 235/40R19 uninflated and carry an electric pump for when you need to use it.

11 hours ago, Carlston said:

A 235/40R19 tyre fitted to an 8J rim is about 235mm wide when inflated.

8" equals 203.2mm. However, an 8J rim is 8" where the tyre beads sit, not the outside measurement. So maybe add 6mm each side to account for the thickness of the rim, and that gives you an uninflated tyre width of about 215mm.

A 215/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6.5J rim when inflated has an actual width of about 221mm, ie. 6mm more than the nominal tyre width.

A 215/55R17 tyre fitted to a 7J rim when inflated has an actual width of about 226mm, ie. 11mm more than the nominal tyre width.

Someone did mention that an inflated 215/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6.5J rim when inflated does raise the floor slightly, maybe by several millimetres.

Therefore an uninflated 235/40R19 tyre should fit, but not an inflated tyre. Maybe store a 235/40R19 uninflated and carry an electric pump for when you need to use it.

Thanks for that! The tyres are 225/35/19 though. Guess I’m just going to have to test it. 

• 2 weeks later...

@RaymondReddington what size spare did you settle for in the end?
I bought a space saver spare on the recommendation of my local Skoda, that was a complete waste of time because the carpet sagged & I have my dog in the boot.
So, Ive ordered a 17" alloy & yet to try it until it arrives.

6 minutes ago, OccySport said:

@RaymondReddington what size spare did you settle for in the end?
I bought a space saver spare on the recommendation of my local Skoda, that was a complete waste of time because the carpet sagged & I have my dog in the boot.
So, Ive ordered a 17" alloy & yet to try it until it arrives.

I haven’t yet, not got round to trying one of the 19s in the boot. 

With the space saver did you get the correct foam insert? Surely it shouldn’t cause the boot floor to sag?

6 minutes ago, RaymondReddington said:

I haven’t yet, not got round to trying one of the 19s in the boot. 

With the space saver did you get the correct foam insert? Surely it shouldn’t cause the boot floor to sag?

I purchased the space saver from eBay & it included the foam insert but think it must be the wrong one & the VW tools they come with are a bit mickey mouse to me.

Ive purchased a Heyner heavy duty scissor jack eBay item number: 114953397074 & I have a Ring digital tyre inflator, I'm hoping that these will fit inside the alloy wheel & the height will be perfect. I also have the plastic screw to hold the spare upside down but I want the wheel face upwards so I need to come up with something to strap the wheel in.

23 minutes ago, OccySport said:

I purchased the space saver from eBay & it included the foam insert but think it must be the wrong one & the VW tools they come with are a bit mickey mouse to me.

Ive purchased a Heyner heavy duty scissor jack eBay item number: 114953397074 & I have a Ring digital tyre inflator, I'm hoping that these will fit inside the alloy wheel & the height will be perfect. I also have the plastic screw to hold the spare upside down but I want the wheel face upwards so I need to come up with something to strap the wheel in.

The correct genuine Skoda spare wheel kit (foam, jack, and tools) costs about £35 from a Skoda dealer.

There are three different spare wheel kits available. Standard, RS, and Scout models.

If you make a note of the OEM part number, you should be able to order it from a local Skoda dealer's parts department.

Octavia MK3 standard spare wheel kit (not for RS and Scout models)

OEM part number: 5E0093860B

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola/p/5E0093860B

Spare wheel replacement kit

Edited by Carlston

3 minutes ago, OccySport said:

@Carlston is this the part that I would need if when I get my 17" alloy & it doesn't bring the boot floor level?

225/45R17 might raise the floor unless you let all the air out.

205/55R16 fitted to a standard 6.5Jx16 ET46 rim might be a better fit.

With the Superb MK3 even a 215 raises the floor slightly, at least when fitted to a standard 6.5J or 7J rim.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The correct genuine Skoda spare wheel kit (foam, jack, and tools) costs about £35 from a Skoda dealer.

There are three different spare wheel kits available. Standard, RS, and Scout models.

If you make a note of the OEM part number, you should be able to order it from a local Skoda dealer's parts department.

Octavia MK3 standard spare wheel kit (not for RS and Scout models)

OEM part number: 5E0093860B

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola/p/5E0093860B

Have you by any chance got the link for the R/S version please?

4 minutes ago, RaymondReddington said:

Have you by any chance got the link for the R/S version please?

Octavia MK3 RS spare wheel kit (includes foam, jack, tools, but not spare wheel)

OEM part number: 5E0093860C

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola/p/5E0093860C

There are three different Octavia MK3 spare wheel kits. Standard, RS, and Scout.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1